Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Martin Scorsese is a film lover first and foremost, and a director second.
Look at his favorite films:
Martin Scorsese’s Favorite Movies | IndieWire

Do you truly think he knows nothing about the fiction genre???

Also since when does someone need to write fiction to critique fiction? And let's not forget he was first asked what he thought about the Marvel films and he gave his answer.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Martin Scorsese is a film lover first and foremost, and a director second.
Look at his favorite films:
Martin Scorsese’s Favorite Movies | IndieWire

Do you truly think he knows nothing about the fiction genre???

Also since when does someone need to write fiction to critique fiction? And let's not forget he was first asked what he thought about the Marvel films and he gave his answer.
This was the counter point that was gonna collapse my argument? :dead:

bu bu he likes a bunch of 40's and 50's movies? he even had some western's listed :heh: the movie people were making the same complaints about back in the day. if the this supports my point about how out of touch and out his lane he is.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This was the counter point that was gonna collapse my argument? :dead:

bu bu he likes a bunch of 40's and 50's movies? he even had some western's listed :heh: the movie people were making the same complaints about back in the day. if the this supports my point about how out of touch and out his lane he is.
:snoop:
The point is he understands movies in general regardless of genre. He understands the nuances in the camera work, sound, editing, color timing, etc. can tell in a movie without it having to be spelled out. Watch any interview where he is just discussing films and you can hear the enthusiasm in his voice. He understands the craft of filmmaking and you won't hear anyone that knows film dispute that.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:snoop:
The point is he understands movies in general regardless of genre. He understands the nuances in the camera work, sound, editing, color timing, etc. can tell in a movie without it having to be spelled out. Watch any interview where he is just discussing films and you can hear the enthusiasm in his voice. He understands the craft of filmmaking and you won't hear anyone that knows film dispute that.
:unimpressed:
His complaint had nothing to do with the craft of filmaking or nuance. He simply said the whole genre isn't film. If he was talking about camera work, he would have to explain why he is copying film techniques that were popularized by super hero movies. He never used de aging cgi in his films before the irishman, which one of those movies you listed did he learn that from? Anybody in film disputing that is lying. You really have no valid stance for an argument here. but i'm gonna neg you for acting like you do so smugly

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
His complaint had nothing to do with the craft of filmaking or nuance. He simply said the whole genre isn't film. If he was talking about camera work, he would have to explain why he is copying film techniques that were popularized by super hero movies. He never used de aging cgi in his films before the irishman, which one of those movies you listed did he learn that from? Anybody in film disputing that is lying. You really have no valid stance for an argument here. but i'm gonna neg you for acting like you do so smugly
“Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

He sees and knows they can go deeper than what they are doing. Whichever Marvel movie he saw he wasn't impressed :yeshrug:. My only fault on him would be to specify which movie he wasn't feeling and not generalize across all of the franchise even though I believe he would probably feel the same about nearly all of them. I got a feeling he would dig Winter Soldier seeing that is the one film that most people that don't even fukk with super hero movies actually like.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
So you think Scorcese used de-aging tech because of superhero movies?:patrice:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
So you think Scorcese used de-aging tech because of superhero movies?:patrice:
Science Fiction movies, more specifically. But was de-aging tech used in any other sub genre first? Why didn't he do practical make-up or cast younger actors? Did he just independently come up with the idea on his own by coincidence?

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Science Fiction movies, more specifically. But was de-aging tech used in any other sub genre first? Why didn't he do practical make-up or cast younger actors? Did he just independently come up with the idea on his own by coincidence?
The Irishman had been in the brainstorming stage before de-aging tech was even being used. It's been used in everything from superhero flicks to Academy Award nominated dramas. It was used first in X-Men: Last Stand and then in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I hate assuming, but if Scorcese really was influenced by it's prior use, I'd bet someone not fond of CBMs probably was influenced by an Oscar nominee like Benjamin Button, especially since the effect was used throughout the film.

As far as practical effects or casting younger actors, this was a film made for the actors used. Why cast multiple actors for the same person, and hope they can, hold a candle to the actor you had in mind when you have the tech to have a great actor's talents utilized throughout?

Danktoker94

The Dude
Supporter
Daps
Go to his filmography, he rarely has writing credits unless it's a true story. Yet he's complaining about original stories as if his would be any better. he knows nothing about the fiction genre. This critique would hold more water coming from a director like James Cameron, or Stephen King. This simply isn't his lane, super hero movies are competing with movies like The Hobbit and Terminator, not Wolf of Wall street or Saving Private Ryan.
Stfu c00n

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
a shame the only way this old nikka could get his name to stay in the news was to slander a vastly appreciated, highly successful franchise that forced him to the small screen. we should pray for him

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
a shame the only way this old nikka could get his name to stay in the news was to slander a vastly appreciated, highly successful franchise that forced him to the small screen. we should pray for him
:gucci:
The Irishmen had good buzz before he was asked what he thought about the Marvel movies.

Luken

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto/ Jersey / ATL / LA / Panoramic Roofs

:gucci:

THIS is how we're addressing GOAT'Sese these days?:dwillhuh::dwillhuh::dwillhuh:

Last edited: