Marlo Stanfield is the most misunderstood character in the TV History

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
OP is giving reasoning for Marlo killing a security man trying to do his job :dead:
That security guard knew damn well who Marlo was and what he was capable of. That ain’t i a man shyt with a legit psycho will get you put in them vacants:ufdup:

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
InnocentNecessaryBobcat-size_restricted.gif

It was especially cold when he went over to her body and put the tool in her mouth and fired a final round. :picard:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Marlo and his crew were difinetly darker and more sinister than the Barksdale crew. I think it was done on purpose. The writers probably became worried that they were glorifying a drug crew by writing and casting the Barksdale crew as charismatic and likable characters.

So they had to make them unlikeable. Even the way Marlo and his crew looked and dressed was different. Avon and String were well dressed and suave dudes:dame: They appealed to women. Can’t say the same about Marlo and Chris with their wack ass clothes and dusty appearances.
It was to show the progression of how the streets have become more ruthless as time passes. They often speak about codes and morals that Marlo broke consistently. Things like the Sunday truce or no killing people not in the game sounds like Mandarin Chinese to someone like Marlo. Those were old school ethics that Avon and Omar had that doesn't jive with the modern day streets. Marlo was just the evolution of the drug kingpins before him. If you were of any inconvenience or a loose end in Marlo's eyes, you're dying.

Marlo operated his business like a ruthless billionaire does their companies, just in the streets. Roll over anyone in their way. The entire show was basically showing how all these different infrastructures intertwine and also how they all function the same way. And the ones who try to change it (Colvin, Stringer, for examples) either end up dead or fired. Marlo knew the game was about showing zero flex. The moment anyone smells a hint of weakness you become susceptible to falling.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
It was especially cold when he went over to her body and put the tool in her mouth and fired a final round. :picard:
I always love how the Wire sprinkled in little throwaway comments that end up seeing later down the line. During the scene Kima went to go see Holly when she first found out about Marlo, and he described Marlo killing a wit with two gun shots to the chest and one to the mouth about 6 episodes prior.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
It was to show the progression of how the streets have become more ruthless as time passes. They often speak about codes and morals that Marlo broke consistently. Things like the Sunday truce or no killing people not in the game sounds like Mandarin Chinese to someone like Marlo. Those were old school ethics that Avon and Omar had that doesn't jive with the modern day streets. Marlo was just the evolution of the drug kingpins before him. If you were of any inconvenience or a loose end in Marlo's eyes, you're dying.

Marlo operated his business like a ruthless billionaire does their companies, just in the streets. Roll over anyone in their way. The entire show was basically showing how all these different infrastructures intertwine and also how they all function the same way. And the ones who try to change it (Colvin, Stringer, for examples) either end up dead or fired. Marlo knew the game was about showing zero flex. The moment anyone smells a hint of weakness you become susceptible to falling.
Once killing has no consequences because of their body disposal method, a true sociopath like Marlo finds it simply as a means to an end.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Once killing has no consequences because of their body disposal method, a true sociopath like Marlo finds it simply as a means to an end.
Exactly. It's funny how everyone talks about the whole Serial Killer theme of Season 5 and all the mixed reactions to it but Marlo really was a serial killer by the textbook definition. So they technically really were going after a serial killer the whole time.

The method and thought of hiding bodies in vacants and using lye to decompose the bodies quickly is some real psychopathic shyt

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
yeah, the right character makes for some REALLY good videos. The part in that clip where he talks about Marlo's leadership skills made some really good points.
As one dimensional Marlo, Chris and Snoop seemed, they all had depth. To me, they were the "super predators" talked about in the 90's, but there were subtleties in the show that show that showed not only did they have depth but, they had an origin that showed somewhat how they got to where they were. I mean, Chris had a family and kids. He was heartless in his job because he had to be. Chris the family man probably had BBQs and did shyt for the neighborhood that they didn't show. The Wire was king of not showing you everything but hinting at it. That's why it is my 1A/1B all-time show for me.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I understand people hate Cheese, but he sold Prop Joe out because he saw Prop Joe panic and crack under pressure trying to appease Marlo and Omar at the end of Season 4. Nobody is going to respect you as a boss if you’re p*ssy. And all that was 1000% Prop Joe’s fault because he was being greedy wanting Marlo to be down with the Co Op and manipulated Omar into robbing Marlo just to do it. Marlo politely declined his first offer and Joe should have kept it moving but he didn’t. So his death was deserved, and Butchie was deserved collateral damage as well as Omar because Omar should have been smart enough to know Prop Joe was full of shyt
And Butchie knew as much. He told Omar....

f8RHmAU.jpg

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I didn't know people disliked Marlo until I read online opinions about the show. A lot of it seemed like white people disappointed that he was just a drug lord. There was no random scene of him listening to jazz or building computers, so people could say oh look he's multi faceted lol. "Everyone stay who they are." And he definitely stayed who he was.
Maybe, I just think by the time he came in in season 3 people had an attachment to the Barksdale crew and know that they actually had him dead to rights and would have took him out had Stringer not snitched.

Even Weebey said it, Had a lil nikka like Marlo stepped out of line back in the day he would've been dealt with and we were literally 10 seconds from seeing him being dealt with had Avon just answered the phone :manny:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
As one dimensional Marlo, Chris and Snoop seemed, they all had depth. To me, they were the "super predators" talked about in the 90's, but there were subtleties in the show that show that showed not only did they have depth but, they had an origin that showed somewhat how they got to where they were. I mean, Chris had a family and kids. He was heartless in his job because he had to be. Chris the family man probably had BBQs and did shyt for the neighborhood that they didn't show. The Wire was king of not showing you everything but hinting at it. That's why it is my 1A/1B all-time show for me.
Chris was also molested

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
I didn't know people disliked Marlo until I read online opinions about the show. A lot of it seemed like white people disappointed that he was just a drug lord. There was no random scene of him listening to jazz or building computers, so people could say oh look he's multi faceted lol. "Everyone stay who they are." And he definitely stayed who he was.

yeah

White audience loves Stringer Bell, Bodie, Omar etc because they have apparent depth and complexity. Marlo is disliked by some because he seems one-dimensional, but that reveals a lack of understanding. Marlo clearly has different sides, but he focuses on his goals solely, compartmentalizing his other sides. White audiences are not used to intensely focused black men; they're more familiar with stories of black people with flaws. They might admire Marlo if he were Russian because they're not used to a black man who's fearless and unwavering in his focus. They’re more comfortable with the emotional thug image often associated with figures like 2Pac and DMX or fictional characters like Leon from Snowfall

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps

not only Prince from The Supreme Team is the closest to what a real life Marlo probably was, he also looked like a lightskin version of him. Jamie Hector def coulda played him