mark cuban with the realest quote ever. if you a grown man that still hasn't grasp this concept then you are just lost and delusional

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
If you can do this, especially after going as far as getting an accounting degree, you had the capacity to develop games.

For whatever reason you didn’t feel competent in coding/game design/storyboarding/whatever compared to accounting.

Those passions and chosen path were just arbitrary examples to illustrate the perspective.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
"If I followed my passion, I'd still be trying to play professional basketball."

Playing pro basketball isn't a typical career though. You also don't have to make it professionally to pursue your basketball passion.

If you're passionate about basketball nothing stopping you from making a podcast, coaching, working for a team in another capacity. Someone I went to school with runs youth camps / private training.

Considering how much of your life is consumed by work, you should definitely try to find something that connects to your passion.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
This is good advice but the thing is....when you start something, you will probably suck at it and will need to take the time to get better at it.

I've always chased my passions and were able to create careers out of them but I've worked extremely hard to get there. There are some things that no matter how much you're passionate about, how much you work at it, you will never be good enough and that's when you hang it up and do something else.

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
Yall faux intellectuals gon get enough of listening to the silver spoon millionaires/billionaires that ain’t never had to struggle for shyt or actually dream
This life has infinite paths and death is at the end of all of them
Which can come at any moment
As long as you not hurting nobody or your kids ain’t going without(if you have any)
Do what the fukk you want
Chase what the fukk you want
You have to live with the outcome
Ain’t no nerd ass nikka on a dying forum living better than you
Trust if they were they wouldn’t be on this bytch posting dumbshyt like this

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I always tell people the best advice I never took was, "Don't do what you love, do what you are good at. " My high school art teacher gave me this advice during my senior year. I didn't fully understand the advice until I was a grown ass man. I constantly tell it to young people willing to listen. I also do a better job explaining it to them, than my teacher did for me.
:mjcry:

If I took that advice I would hate my life right now. Just being good at something doesn't make it worth doing.

I agree that in order to live a fulfilling life, you need to be good at what you do. But you also need to do something that has some sort of fulfilling purpose. The best career advice I've ever learned is to pick a career that you're willing to work very, very hard at, and then put in the necessary effort to become good at that career.

Most people who "follow their passion" think it'll be easy just because they "love what they do". Real work isn't like that, it always ends up being work, and the passion dies. People need to be realistic and pick a career they can actually succeed at, but pick one that matters, not just whatever random bullshyt you happen to be good at.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
We have a few generations of people who grew up in the participation awards era where you got a prize just for showing up. They are allergic to criticism and call it hate. So they have no realistic way of ever addressing short comings. Everything they don't want to hear is hate. They think being good or bad at something is subjective like it can't be defined.

They won't get this crucial message.

I only hear this in right-wing internet circles.

As someone who has been working with young people for 20+ years, I have never been anywhere where "participation awards" were a meaningful part of anyone's life. No one is developing their career path based on whether they did or did not get a participation trophy in some regional baseball tournament when they were 11 years old.

Nor, come to think of it, have I ever played on or coached a team that got "participation awards" for anything. Of course I'm sure it happens, but the idea that it's happening to every kid, in every activity, is just nonsense.

Van Cleef

All Star
Daps
Right.

I'd rather get my advice from ppl on the coli who aren't rich and have no luck.
you should take advice from all the entrepreneurs who failed

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This is awful advice. Talent is rarely more important than hard work and few people are gifted out the gate.

Are you talking about the OP quote? Because he literally says that hard work is the key. "Follow your effort."

If you're passionate about basketball nothing stopping you from making a podcast, coaching, working for a team in another capacity. Someone I went to school with runs youth camps / private training.

Considering how much of your life is consumed by work, you should definitely try to find something that connects to your passion.

The problem is that most people have "passions" that aren't meaningfully connected to the hard work necessary to get paid by that connection. They might love basketball, but the hard word it takes to making a living via podcasting has nothing to do with their passion for basketball. They try to follow their passion, but soon it becomes just another job and they don't even love it anymore.

It's okay for hobbies to stay hobbies.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Absolutely, the thing is, soaking from my experience, most people never truly know what they are passionate about because they don't get the exposure to activities outside of a few things. Without that they settle on the few things they are familiar with and it becomes the defacto dream.

Every motherfukking student in my middle school wanted to be a pro basketball player or pro football player, outside of maybe a couple who wanted to rap. Even the ones who literally didn't even try out for the team. We're raising kids who have such narrow worlds that it fukks them up completely.

There are a LOT of causes for that that have been happening for generations, but the way we've reduced schools to math/reading drills and testing alone is fukking kids up and giving them no vision of the future at all.

Van Cleef

All Star
Daps
I thought that true until I did 5 years in UPS. Yes there are alot of brokies at the place but I know accountants and engineers who left their jobs to work full-time at UPS, to load boxes. Put in enough years with the union and you'll be make decent money with the option for overtime on top of season bonuses. And the benefit balance put any income you think you deserve. Hell my 5 years and being on good terms with the union earned me a buy into their retirement plan when I left. I can cash out now when I retire on top of my corporate job now. And I got clowned for working there for years.

i worked in warehouses for years before i faked my resume and finessed my way into a corporate job

shoutout to @Double Burger With Cheese

bro taught me how to lie on resumes and interviews.. . that's the type of nikka u should take advice from

somebody that gives you advice tailored to your situation... not generic advice like 'dont follow ur passion'