Mark Cuban Believes The NBA Would Have Embraced Colin Kaepernick's Anthem Protest

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was also against the rules for players to wear the I Can't Breathe shirts instead of their warm ups, but the NBA never punished anyone:yeshrug:

wearing a tshirt a couple times is different than not standing for the anthem 82 times.....they got on chris jackson's ass after 2 games and still blackballed him when he stood facing away from the flag...if you really think they wouldnt have done the same shyt to kaep, you tripping.....

this is just cuban trying to sell the nba as the more 'progressive' league to get more money, nothing more, nothing less....cause no matter what the nfl goes through, it's still king when it comes to money...

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's right though. NBA players have way more leverage ( power, guarantee contracts, etc) than NFL players.

true, they have more power in that regard, but when it comes to this, no....the nba wouldve done the same shyt the nfl doing to kaep...in fact, they wouldve been worse cause they wouldve fined and suspended him.....at least the nfl let him do it and play all 16+ games without fining/suspending him...

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
wearing a tshirt a couple times is different than not standing for the anthem 82 times.....they got on chris jackson's ass after 2 games and still blackballed him when he stood facing away from the flag...if you really think they wouldnt have done the same shyt to kaep, you tripping.....

this is just cuban trying to sell the nba as the more 'progressive' league to get more money, nothing more, nothing less....cause no matter what the nfl goes through, it's still king when it comes to money...

Yeah I agree it's on another level and what happened to Abdul-Rauf can't be ignored.

NBA in this day and age is definitely a lot more liberal than the NFL or MLB though, I don't think that's just an image he's trying to sell

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
stfu Cubes, the NBA would somehow turn this into a pro LGBT rights issue.

and the 'full of shyt' award goes to: mark cuban......cause he's full of shyt with this...the nba has a rule stating players have to stand for the anthem, so kaep wouldve been fined/suspended after the first couple games he tried this.....act like chris jackson doesnt exist....

Mahmoud Abdul Rauf was phased out the league after his. I get it was a different era, but its still an example.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

No fukking Leverage league out here got yall doing their dirty work.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Let's be real here, the NFL isn't ran by a gay liberal commissioner. It's ran by a staunch, conservative racist and that right there sets the tone for how the rest of the league to follow. Look how conservative the NBA was under Stern vs Silver. The commissioner sets the tone of the league.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I agree it's on another level and what happened to Abdul-Rauf can't be ignored.

NBA in this day and age is definitely a lot more liberal than the NFL or MLB though, I don't think that's just an image he's trying to sell

i do cause he wants that money...the nfl makes more money than the nba, mlb, nhl, etc. and it's only an american league for the most part....and he wants that money....

also, lets not forget this is the man that said:

1. he didnt want sterling kicked out the league
2. he compared a kid to a man....that he would cross the street if he saw a black KID in a hoodie, the same way he would cross if he saw a neo-nazi MAN..
3. been talking shyt about the nfl for the longest, trying to hurt it to get more to the nba....

...this is all about money for cuban, nothing more/less....he dont give a damn about what kaep protesting for, but if he can put that image out there for people to eat up, he sure will...

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
true, they have more power in that regard, but when it comes to this, no....the nba wouldve done the same shyt the nfl doing to kaep...in fact, they wouldve been worse cause they wouldve fined and suspended him.....at least the nfl let him do it and play all 16+ games without fining/suspending him...

A couple of things that will be different if he did this in the NBA.

- Kaepernick signed a 6 year extension in 2014. By NBA rules Kaepernick would still be making 60 million dollars over the next three years ( no matter what he protested). The free agency talk wouldn't have even happened.

- I'm confident the NBA union would've been more aggressive than the NFL union has been in defending their client.

Just so many different variables here.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
lol funny.....but i dont give a damn about these leagues....just calling a spade a spade....cuban acting like the nba doesnt have a kaep example before kaep is bullshyt...

That was fukked up but the NBA today isn't the league 20 years ago, the two leagues have taken different paths one has become more liberal where the players have the power and the other treats its players like garbage.

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
same cuban who didnt want sterling to be removed fom nba? If a black kid wearing hoodie I GTFO looking ass :mjpls:
His stance was correct on Sterling. He at the time didn't understand how a private conversation be it good or bad is the basis of having your ownership stripped. I find his position 100 percent correct. If you're at home talking to a coworker and they tape it, take to work and give it to human resources and you said god awful shyt and they fired you. Based on that after work conversation.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A couple of things that will be different if he did this in the NBA.

- Kaepernick signed a 6 year extension in 2014. By NBA rules Kaepernick would still be making 60 million dollars over the next three years ( no matter what he protested). The free agency talk wouldn't have even happened.

- I'm confident the NBA union would've been more aggressive than the NFL union has been in defending their client.

Just so many different variables here.

you're talking about things that have nothing to do with the protest nor how the league would respond to said protest....yes, contracts and unions are different between the leagues, but how they would have handled him sitting for the anthem is similar...the nba has shown this...chris jackson and criag hodges are the precedents....they were kaep, before kaep.....

if kaep were in the nba: he wouldve been fined every game he sat/knelled; then some compromise wouldve been worked out that made him stand...then he wouldve been blackballed the first chance the league got...seriously, that's the shyt they did to chris jackson....