Man says he doesn’t want to make $350 a year, he’d rather make $90k due to expectations

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
I'd rather make the 350K. Buddy is tripping. You can have me on call in case shít pops off. I do that in the military for peanuts as it is:pachaha:.

Shít, tell me to stay at the office for 24 hours in case an emergency happens. Easy fućking money:pachaha:.

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
I watch the president of the university Im at he makes 800K+ but damn his life is crazy. Dude stays on the road, people talk his fuxn ear off all day in meeting after meeting after meeting. His whole day is planned out. He gets a bunch of color coded folders he has to read thru daily. I dont evny that. That type of bread comes with wilid responsibilities.

Last edited:

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Totally disagree.

High paying job with work/life balance that allows you to spend more time with your family and earn income on a side business.

vs.

Extremely high paying job with no work-life balance, less time with family, and less time for personal pursuits to earn money on the side.

If these are the options, breh is making a logical choice based on his own values. He sounds clearly entrepreneurial and puts value on having the extra time to do his own shyt.
Exactly. I work at a large consulting firm and make about 150k before bonuses. I like the idea of a couple more promotions to get that legit high earner salary, but those people are literally traveling every week. Sometime’s the schedule is so packed they don’t even come home for the weekend. That’s cool if you’re younger, older, or just don’t have a spouse and/or kids.

I’m not trying to do that really. I got lucky with an easy client right now. But there are people in my current role who work ridiculous hours too. I value family and relaxation too much to kill myself or ruin my relationships for a few thousand dollars. I’ll just manage my money a little better.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
A lot of people feel the same way he does.

Not a like for like comparison, but an experiment was carried out on monkeys. One was given control over when it was shocked, the others had no control. The one's who got shocked whenever were actually okay. The monkey with control got stomach ulcers and died.

The point that I'm making is stress is a killer. If you can't rest peacefully because there is always something you've got to do, and consequences if it isn't done, that will add up over time.

What a lot of people do is work to a schedule. Get 10 years of experience at a big firm, build their next, and scale down when they're financially sound.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I understand what he's saying but 90K is no longer truly enough to say this.
I hate to say this but too many Black men today have a built in lack of ambition no Black woman would ever say some silly shyt like this. Even after taxes 350 will allow you to aggressively invest in your retirement while providing a comfortable lifestyle for you and your family.
No Black woman would say this because they see career and ambition as a way to circumvent "needing" a man despite eventually wanting that same family.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Eh, he's kinda right. If someone is paying you 350k you going to have a lot of accountability that comes along with it compared to a 90K salary job.

I'm still taking the $350k because you would have an easier time saving up to be a millionaire

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
I 100% agree. Only thing I don't care for is the running of another business. I don't get this recent infatuation with wanting to start a business/side hustle(s). I am not getting off work, to go do more work.
People think that shiit is easy. I would rather just do my job and spend the rest of my life enjoying myself and my family.

:yeshrug:

As salary rises, so does responsibility/accountability. What is the point of having a lot of money, if you don't have time/energy to spend it?

And to the delusional brehs in here that think a company is going to pay you $300K - $400K and let you just chill and run another business, y'all are idiots who indulge too much social media

:mjlol:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I understand what he's saying but 90K is no longer truly enough to say this.

No Black woman would say this because they see career and ambition as a way to circumvent "needing" a man despite eventually wanting that same family.

I don't disagree with that money for women equals independence but still as a collective but as a collective there are too many Black men ok with just getting by or working in a low pressure situation

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
350K? There's people making 35K that are expected to be on call, Monday through Sunday.

Moreover - if you're doing something worth 350K a year - how much are your EMPLOYERS making off of you? They're making a profit on your labor.

And if you're making 350K, and you're on call, chances are very good you're doing something managerial/sales oriented and not something technical.

If you're out there making deals, facilitating deals, putting together deals etc - it makes more sense to lean into your position, move up the ladder if possible, or put out your own shingle in the same industry...

As opposed to pivoting to being a CyberSecurity Influencer/course seller.
Just hit the cash app for a 1 on 1 interview coaching consultation...

Even if you don't want to do that - 350K means you drop your standard of living, stack most of that bread, and buy rental property - because that steady 350K from an employer looks very appetizing to banks that are gonna make you sign personally anyway (but muh LLC...)

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I don't disagree with that money for women equals independence but still as a collective but as a collective there are too many Black men ok with just getting by or working in a low pressure situation
I concede that 90K isn't what it once was but just getting by is a broad brush. Work-life balance is important so putting yourself in a "high pressure" situation just to prove something doesn't mean anything to me. If you love what you do then that's a different story.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I concede that 90K isn't what it once was but just getting by is a broad brush. Work-life balance is important so putting yourself in a "high pressure" situation just to prove something doesn't mean anything to me. If you love what you do then that's a different story.

That's fair

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
I hate to say this but too many Black men today have a built in lack of ambition no Black woman would ever say some silly shyt like this. Even after taxes 350 will allow you to aggressively invest in your retirement while providing a comfortable lifestyle for you and your family.
It is easy to have "ambitions" when you expect someone else to go out and do it.