Malcolm-Jamal Warner: “I Stopped Listening to J Cole Because Of His Usage Of “N*gga & B*tch!”

King Poetic

W.A.R.(We Are Relentless)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Cole became a flip flopper

He wanted to be Nas starting out and then the south starting taking off and then he wanted to jump back down on that shyt and then he wanted to start using nikka and bytch more even though he was already moving albums and had a following..

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I get the aesthetic, but it all comes down to taste and reason. If it's "nikka" or "bytch" every other bar, then even I ain't really going for that. Hip-hop is the most lyrical artform, ain't no reason we need to say 5011 times on a song.

J. Cole ain't as egregious as others...but ngl I feel weird knowing white people specifically bang these tracks and are probably saying it definitely by themselves or other white people, but they're probably saying around certain black folks and at concerts too...I don't want white people using it, but I'm not going to fight every single white person that uses it either.

shyt is cringy because we've just about lost the battle with that word. We took it from a pure pejorative to a term of endearment to now more people than we care to admit are selectively saying it with impunity...that shyt ain't cool.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
I guess, but I mean...isn't that almost every rapper? There really aren't many rappers who don't curse.

Can you elaborate? I'm not aware of his opinion on that.
What'd he say about that?
In short he didn't like the show, didn't get along with Eddie Griffin, didn't like the network, and felt the show was c00ning.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
He's from Jersey so i don't know is was bumping short and nwa. Probably more of a Rakim LL, type of guy

Stop it. We all knew who was who in the late 80s. Anyone with cable was familiar with Yo MTV raps and I personally remember Me So Horny being played on MTV in 89. When watching music videos, especially back then, whatever popped up on the TV is what you were 'bumping." Malcolm is older then me so if I saw Me So Horny on MTV then he did too. Malcolm saw that We Want Easy video by Easy E. Malcolm saw that High Rollers video by Ice T. If I saw it he saw it too.

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
Stop it. We all knew who was who in the late 80s. Jersey had The Jukebox network in the late 80s before it became The Box in the 90s. Plus anyone with cable was familiar with Yo MTV raps and I personally remember Me So Horny being played on MTV in 89. When watching music videos, especially back then, whatever popped up on the TV is what you were 'bumping." Malcolm is older than me so if I saw Me So Horny on MTV then he did too.
I never said he didn't know them. I said he probably didn't bump them. he was 10 years old in 1980 so he grew up listening to a different style of rap. Too Short first music video came out when he was 1988 and he was 18. They had a ton of different styles of rap back then and east coast cats def loved their style of rap