Mad Men: Season 7 (Part 1) 'The Beginning' - April 13th

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had no idea "Mona" is actually Roger's real wife (since 1998) and she is also George Clooney's ex-wife.

Rogers daughter is a bytch, but she has a point.......you reap what you sow. She followed her dad's path in her own way but still seriously, how can she be mad at her father for neglect and then also completely abandon her child? What a bytch.

Don was mad at the computer guy for what he said to him. Computer guy did not mean it directed at him, but he made the comment all the machines (people) become obsolete, some just last longer than others. Don is becoming obsolete if he does not change his ways.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
I had no idea "Mona" is actually Roger's real wife (since 1998) and she is also George Clooney's ex-wife.

Rogers daughter is a bytch, but she has a point.......you reap what you sow. She followed her dad's path in her own way but still seriously, how can she be mad at her father for neglect and then also completely abandon her child? What a bytch.

Don was mad at the computer guy for what he said to him. Computer guy did not mean it directed at him, but he made the comment all the machines (people) become obsolete, some just last longer than others. Don is becoming obsolete if he does not change his ways.

On the daughter shyt, I'm not buying it. That look what you made me into dad shyt. That's a way out, a way to be lazy, a drunken, drugged out idiot.

Daps
Roger reaping what he sowed. :no: She was just dropping bombs like Flex on her parents.

Just the level of disgust she had for him. :ughh:

Man, fukk her and her rich brat problems, this is one story I could do without :camby:

She hurt her parent's feelings, she's ethering her son, SMH :snoop:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
I watch Mad Men with my pops and he's always talking about how the show brings back a bunch of memories for him and how close to real life it mirrors.

He said this last episode brought back some weird ones because he was telling me about communes and how he actually knew women, rich young white girls and guys who would actually run away like that, leave everything behind and go and live on the commune. He told me a story about him and his friend actually having to go and pick up a girl they knew who ran away to a commune with her baby. My dad said once they got to the commune it was pretty much like the Mad Men episode except the drugs were ratcheted up to another level.

Him and his friend came to find that the particular commune they went to, they had a bunch cats and dogs, and they would just sit around and take LSD and psychotropic drugs all day. They would also feed the cats and dogs LSD and the girl they came to pick up was feeding her baby LSD and drugs :wow:

He said they just ended up leaving...shyt was too far gone...sixties were fukked brehs :dwillhuh:

Also another piece of dialogue that was great was Roger saying, "there's always a hierarchy" which actually proved to be the downfall of a lot of communes. Most of those communities started out with everyone sharing power and seeking consensus but usually dominant personalities and other more passive personalities sprouted up and undermined the original goal for most communes i.e. A completely egalitarian society.

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
On the daughter shyt, I'm not buying it. That look what you made me into dad shyt. That's a way out, a way to be lazy, a drunken, drugged out idiot.

It's a bullshyt excuse but it is realistic, just about eveyone at some time in their life has blamed their parents for a fukked up decision or life choice.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I
Also another piece of dialogue that was great was Roger saying, "there's always a hierarchy" which actually proved to be the downfall of a lot of communes. Most of those communities started out with everyone sharing power and seeking consensus but usually dominant personalities and other more passive personalities sprouted up and undermined the original goal for most communes i.e. A completely egalitarian society.

Roger knows that dominant personalities typically rise to the top regardless of defined structure. It's why he knows Don will be just fine working under Peggy/Lou.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Breh, I'm kinda lost with something.

For two weeks straight we've heard two different partners say that the company was doing fine without Don, even though to the audience it seems it's the complete opposite. Are Bert and Joan just blinded by not wanting Don back or are they just lying to spite him? I mean, if they weren't doing so good, wouldn't Don know by now? :patrice: :patrice:

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
Man I love this show.

That Genesis breakdown was mind blowing as well. Solid link.

The dialogue between Don and the computer guy was too amazing for it to just be conversation. Don danced with the devil, and they pulled it off.

The thing that I love about Mad Men is that you're watching the show, and you KNOW something greater than what you're watching on the screen is playing out, but you don't pick up on it right away. The layers of this show will always give it replay value. The story alone will carry it through tons of replays. Then there's the other stuff that hooks you. If you like history, it's there. If you like the style, the setting, it's there. The music is there. The characters are all remarkable in their own right. The business drama is there. The advertising is still there.

Now with the breakthrough to the 70's, it's like a giant science experiment with all of these characters that we've grown to understand. How will [character] handle [historical event]? You can say that about everyone, and all of them will be different. Then you get into what 1970 means to every character and what it means for them.

Was I the only one that had clinched fists watching Don walk around the office piss drunk? I was very tense watching it all play out, and I was convinced he was going to throw up or swing on someone again.

I love how, no matter how close they get, Joan always puts Peggy in her place.

The gravitational pull that Don has is very interesting to watch as well. When he walked in that office, it affected everyone differently. Even in this most recent episode, other characters had to dance around him, or attempt to play him as a piece against others or himself. He has a mammoth presence with the other characters and the progression of the story. THE WHOLE BUSINESS IS CHANGING BECAUSE HE CAME BACK. It's crazy. So yes, he does get played like a chump, and he is being put in his place, but in actuality he's just sitting on a ton of potential energy. Other characters still move around him like he's still taking up a whole room, he's just not letting it all out.

Don hits below the belt with Peggy so much too. Calling up Freddie to hang out and rubbing it in her face on the way out. "Not only am I not paying attention to your bullshyt, I'm going to the game with your oldest buddy in the game. He's loyal to me, and he doesn't have time to talk to you because we're OUTTA HERE."

The whole thing with Roger is a bit crazy. I thought he would embrace the counterculture and the 70's with open arms, but it looks like the counterculture just threw him in the mud and tore his emotions to pieces.

LMAO @ Ginsberg taking a stand! Good for you, man.

Last edited:

BigSteve

All Star
Daps
Breh, I'm kinda lost with something.

For two weeks straight we've heard two different partners say that the company was doing fine without Don, even though to the audience it seems it's the complete opposite. Are Bert and Joan just blinded by not wanting Don back or are they just lying to spite him? I mean, if they weren't doing so good, wouldn't Don know by now? :patrice: :patrice:
Well, Joan moved up in the company by sleeping with the guy from Jag. Then Don cut Jag loose like he did everyone a favor. I'm sure that she was doing just fine without ever having to see him again.

To Bert, I'm sure that it looked like their company was moving along just fine. They were still pushing out ideas and bringing in clients, they have guys in LA covering that side of the business as well. He probably doesn't think that anyone cared whether or not Don was there.

Not to mention how annoying it was for the other characters that Don would just change the gameplan at a whim like a rogue QB. Every time people finally settled down from something else, here comes Don merging the company, or cutting the biggest client, or scaring away the next big thing. It probably got old just saying "Oh God, not this again." I'm sure Bert felt that the contempt around the office was to be taken as success.

I think it's clear that most of the other partners don't trust Don, and the only reason that he's there is because he still has stake in the company and this isn't a good time to make that move. Don has a lot more leverage than Bert and the other partners would like, and it probably disgusts them to see Don walking around like shyt is straight when he's cost them all a lot.

On the flip side, Don really wasn't THAT absent. His material was still gracing the agency in the form of Freddie presenting his ideas. So maybe Bert thinks Don's work wasn't gold because other people were walking in off the street with equal caliber stuff.

Last edited:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
So wait what was the computer guy tempting Don with? an Opportunity to quit SCP and work for himself? Or was he tempting Don to break the rules (which he did) but Freddy saved him and got him out the office?

Like I knew Don was saying dude was evil, but what exactly did he do that was Evil and Tempting but try to have some conversations with Don?

Daps
I don't think we've seen the last of Roger at the commune.

Screen%20shot%202013-05-26%20at%202.01.44%20PM.png

36 Chambers

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can't wait till Don ethers Peggy's soul by telling her he was the one feeding Freddie those ideas during his absence :smugdraper:

You think you run creative now? :ufdup:

Daps
Don has to come back somehow in this first 7 episodes.

Something positive has to come of this. Most of the people are only eating because of Don!