Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Fallacy

Replace the last name with an X
Daps
tenor.gif

Look away now if you don't wanna see the beating of a dead horse.

I hope to God this is some sort of inside joke, otherwise, I don't know what's more concerning: the fact that in the process of indoctrination y'all have been stripped of all your mental faculties where you're incapable of interpreting the most basic shyt, or after coming to the realization of what he's saying isn't one of the worst lines in existence. I commented earlier in the thread that shyt was "the type of line you'd make up to satirize his shyt - not an actual line he did himself."

Im with u breh. That line had me :patrice::stopitslime:

But kept it moving

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Finally heard this, been listening since I copped the physical last Saturday.

This is definitely the most replayable project from Lupe that I've ever heard. I never heard T&Y so take that w/ a grain of salt but imo without a doubt this is the best production he ever had in his career.

It took a couple focused listens to feel the album out. It's crazy that he still sounds hungry after all these years, it's clear how much effort went into this project and that he still wants to prove himself. The energy carries the album and particularly when his verses become more cryptic.

That being said, he's remarkably sharp throughout the project in a way that's digestible despite having some very dense verses sprinkled throughout. Oddly though he's shied away from any sort of punchline oriented content that was definitely highlighted more on his first two LPs. He instead opts for a storytelling format that frequently dabbles in metaphor but not in a way that's really designed to "click" for a deciphering listener. Instead, the content that's meant to be marinated on is the way the tracks compliment each other and what images they paint about the DOS experience in sum.

In the first half of the album he wants to uplift the DOS internal dialogue w/ the transatlantic slave trade and make the "long chains" a source of admiration instead of shame and change the dialogue of slavery from being constantly dehumanizing. In the 2nd half, he makes the point that the fighting spirit of the long chains has always been a part of our people. So in reality, we really are the descendants of strong people who defy the odds constantly just as we do today. Mythologizing that fighting African spirit is a powerful idea that interestingly touches on our disconnection from our traditional spirituality that maintains a strong connection with the ancestors and never through the lens of shame and trauma that so many DOS still perceive the Middle Passage through. I highly commend Lupe for tackling that unfortunate narrative head-on.

It will take longer to really digest the lyrics so I won't go into that at this point. I will say that I like the album, I'll have more developed thoughts later in the week

Daps
Reppin
NULL
tqlxNT2.png

Basically, a response to any review claiming the Long Chains narrative ends with the first disc. It's funny how open he's been about Wave in comparison to T&Y's backwards album theory being left in the dark for like 3 years and even then, indirectly as a jab against Kendrick.