Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Running back the whole disco and man Food and Liquor 2 was really a lackluster effort, he wasn't kidding when he said he gave up after the Cool. The production is especially whack, just really dated.

But goddamn after hearing all of the amazing songs he's made over the years in the span of a couple days, I'm ready to label him a GOAT and Legend before his prime is even over.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Just listened through a second time. Even better on the replay. Fantastic.

Takeaways:

-Lupe fxcked up not promoting this. No visual, no nothing? Even the cover art was forgettable. Part 1 of the album could have had a damn short film go along w/ it. Youre not Jigga, Em or Wayne, you cant just drop a surprise album when ppl arent checking for you. If he atleast laid out a preview it would spark interest and would be digested better, a concept album like this should be prefaced.
He 100% should of paired the album (at least the first disc) with a visual short film.

Even if it was an animated visual it would have did so much for this. Lupe has enough connections and nerds that fukk with him so him not doing that for this project is disappointing. The content was tailor made for a visual.
:francis:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Running back the whole disco and man Food and Liquor 2 was really a lackluster effort, he wasn't kidding when he said he gave up after the Cool. The production is especially whack, just really dated.

But goddamn after hearing all of the amazing songs he's made over the years in the span of a couple days, I'm ready to label him a GOAT and Legend before his prime is even over.
I just listened to F&L2 this week as well... I will say tho, it's not horrible, he has some shyt on that album. But it will forever be marred to me by the pop songs that are on there.

The first song kicks off the album with these bars:

No I can't pledge allegiance to your flag
Cause I can't find no reconciliation with your past

When there was nothing equal for my people in your math
You forced us in the ghetto and then you took our dads

:whoo:

There's some dope songs on there, but overall brought down with the inconsistency of the sound of it

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
-Atlantic wouldnt let him release an album like this? Or he thought they didnt deserve the success that might come from it?

I think after the Cool he really tried to conform to trends and radio friendliness like Atlantic wanted, but Tetsuo and Youth it's like Atlantic said "fukk it do whatever you want" and it was alot better. He admitted Drogas Light was a compilation, which explains alot with that project. I think Atlantic finally conceded near the end of the deal, but Lupe said he wasn't giving his all until this album where he had complete freedom.

I mean, even the blatant pop trend riding on some of those Atlantic albums had killer subject content like @GoldenGlove noted, but instrumentals and choruses are a big part of a song too, and really messed with alot of the tracks. Like "I'm listening to some really serious shyt right now, but why the song sound like an uptempo party jam?"

Dboy41

All Star
Daps

I respectfully disagree. Yeah f & l 2 has its filler but it has some of Lu’s best songs on there (strange fruit, lambo angels, hood now, form follows function, cold war, etc) plus bytch bad was probably the last song Lupe put out that actually sparked a relevant and positive conversation about his music.

F & L 2 would have worked way better as an EP. Them corny ass love songs I just skip them lol.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
I respectfully disagree. Yeah f & l 2 has its filler but it has some of Lu’s best songs on there (strange fruit, lambo angels, hood now, form follows function, cold war, etc) plus bytch bad was probably the last song Lupe put out that actually sparked a relevant and positive conversation about his music.

F & L 2 would have worked way better as an EP. Them corny ass love songs I just skip them lol.
Heart Donor been a guilty pleasure for me for years :mjlol:

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
He 100% should of paired the album (at least the first disc) with a visual short film.

Even if it was an animated visual it would have did so much for this. Lupe has enough connections and nerds that fukk with him so him not doing that for this project is disappointing. The content was tailor made for a visual.
:francis:
Obviously he ain’t got that kinda budget

I’m sure all the money he had for this was used in samples alone

10:31

Superstar
Daps

I need Hov to make that’s Atlantic situation right and sign him to Rocnation

He signs all those other elder statesmen.. The Lox, Fat Joe, Fab

Lupe could use a helping hand.. I don’t want this to be his last project, that would be a crime

KingCairo

Pro
Daps
I need Hov to make that’s Atlantic situation right and sign him to Rocnation

He signs all those other elder statesmen.. The Lox, Fat Joe, Fab

Lupe could use a helping hand.. I don’t want this to be his last project, that would be a crime

You really believe Lupe or Jay would do that deal. Jay only cares about money for the most part and Lupe is the exact opposite and won't compromise. Plus he's better independently. Too many dumb people for Lupe to succeed on a major label unfortunately.

Superstar
Daps
You really believe Lupe or Jay would do that deal. Jay only cares about money for the most part and Lupe is the exact opposite and won't compromise. Plus he's better independently. Too many dumb people for Lupe to succeed on a major label unfortunately.

Did you listen to imagine?

If bro said he would entertain signing with Atlantic again, why wouldn’t he do a better deal with the right major to keep making music?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Not trying to hear it, an animated video from an up and coming artist wouldn't break his bank

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers
Did you listen to imagine?

If bro said he would entertain signing with Atlantic again, why wouldn’t he do a better deal with the right major to keep making music?

He insinuated that he'd sign a deal again if it's to free chilly because the F & L advance was Chilly's bail money.

Superstar
Daps
He insinuated that he'd sign a deal again if it's to free chilly because the F & L advance was Chilly's bail money.

That leaves one to wonder if he would sign the right deal period

Chilly situation is what it is now

If Rocnation came with the right deal, why turn it down?

Studio time
Sample clearances
Production
Mixing & Mastering

shyt adds up quick man.. you all know how the business side of this shyt goes