Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

10:31

Superstar
Daps
I'm shocked they not only talked about the album on there, but they had his name in the title as well

:dahell:

Ak called him one of the rappers he has in his inactive list

:mjlol:

Sadly, I feel like a lot of people feel that way
5k first week

:mjcry:

Ak is one sloppy journalist man.. the standards are almost non existent now. This dude isn’t well versed on anything that isn’t new

I love the new music but hip hop didn’t just getting interesting in 2008. If this guy wants to be taken more serious and capitalize on more opportunities he needs to become more of a head..

It’s only so much mumble rap you can listen to and obsess over.

Wayno was trying engag Akademiks but Nadeska ended up trying to go back and forth with him because Ak lacked the depth

Almost deliberately lacked the depth

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Stronger is the least outstanding song on the album for me, and I'm assuming how little it's talked about here that y'all agree.

Dope record, it's just the least interesting sonically and lyrically to me.
Not for me but I get it.

2nd and 3rd verses are some of the most technically sound lyrics you’ll hear from a rapper. The imagery, rhyme scheme, and Lupe’s delivery butter and the beat is a perfect backdrop.

I understand what you mean by least outstanding tho, song is very low-tempo compared to the rest of the album

Daps
I never buy albums but I had to support this excellence :wow:
IMG_5923.jpg

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This thread should be pinned for an entire year. This album leaves me speechless. Between this J. Cole's KOD and Pusha-T's Daytona I can't call my best album of the year.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Quotations from Chairman Fred is such a gem :noah:reminds me of nujabes beats...

can someone help me edit out those vocal samples from the song?
The first one is Eric Thomas an inspirational speaker. I used to know dude when I was younger. He spoke at my graduation.
KOD was average as fucc

That’s J Cole to me nothing exactly bad about his music but just so many people did and do what he does better
KOD is amazing but I had to listen to it for a while to reach that point. On the initial listen I wasn't really that impressed with it. It's a deceptive album that you could listen to a few times and put down and never listen to again but I kept revisiting it and now it's one of my favorite albums of the year and between it and Forest Hills Drive it's arguably his best work. It's at least his most consistent album.

Last edited:

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
I know “king nas” was a song for Lu’s nephews, but is it also a hidden tribute to the actual rapper nas as well?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know “king nas” was a song for Lu’s nephews, but is it also a hidden tribute to the actual rapper nas as well?
Pretty much. Someone else mentioned it has the same drum pattern as It Ain't Hard To Tell. There's references to other Nas songs on there and he was hyping up Wave as Illmatic meets Illmatic meets Illmatic.

Megadeus

Superstar
Daps
Just listened through a second time. Even better on the replay. Fantastic.

Takeaways:

-Lupe fxcked up not promoting this. No visual, no nothing? Even the cover art was forgettable. Part 1 of the album could have had a damn short film go along w/ it. Youre not Jigga, Em or Wayne, you cant just drop a surprise album when ppl arent checking for you. If he atleast laid out a preview it would spark interest and would be digested better, a concept album like this should be prefaced.

- found out which Alan he was referring to... listened again. Fukkk:mjcry:

-found out which Jonlyah he was referring to.... listened again. Fukk:mjcry:

-Atlantic wouldnt let him release an album like this? Or he thought they didnt deserve the success that might come from it?

- He has to be plotting on Nikki Jean at this point, shes on every song.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lost in the Atlantic + Drogas Wave is pretty much going to define my years 21-23.
Musically at least.

Just like his previous albums have for me.
Just working my way through Mural Jr. definitely his most complex song to date, I'm still not catching everything he's saying like I did in Mural, Dumb it Down, Failure, etc.

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
Just listened through a second time. Even better on the replay. Fantastic.

Takeaways:

-Lupe fxcked up not promoting this. No visual, no nothing? Even the cover art was forgettable. Part 1 of the album could have had a damn short film go along w/ it. Youre not Jigga, Em or Wayne, you cant just drop a surprise album when ppl arent checking for you. If he atleast laid out a preview it would spark interest and would be digested better, a concept album like this should be prefaced.

- found out which Alan he was referring to... listened again. Fukkk:mjcry:

-found out which Jonlyah he was referring to.... listened again. Fukk:mjcry:

-Atlantic wouldnt let him release an album like this? Or he thought they didnt deserve the success that might come from it?

- He has to be plotting on Nikki Jean at this point, shes on every song.

breh i aint know she was THIS beautiful. :wow: