Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

tenor.gif

I think Lupe will forever feel some type of way about F&L because of the leak he suffered.

The Cool is almost a perfect fukking album. Theres no wayyyyyy he shouldn’t feel nothing but pride that he pulled off that concept.

T&Y is dopeness personified. Its a “thinking man’s” album. Waves is too, its just that wave, even with the concept being what it is, is a bit more accesible.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It works so much better for me if I treat it like 2 separate albums.

No disrespect to Lupe, but i think alot of the so called “issues” the reviewers are bytching about woulda been circumvented if he woulda had the foresight to actually MARKET it as a double album.

Lupe’s been talking about doing a multi disc album for YEARS now. His original final album lupEND was supposed to be a triple album. F&L 2 was supposed to be a double album. @Versa tell me if i’m wrong but wasn’t T&Y originally supposed to be a double album as well?

So he finally gets to DO an actual double album and doesn’t alert anyone to that fact until afterwards? Ot woulda made sooooo much more sense, conceptually, to let people know beforehand where the split was so that the story Of The Longchains could be fully understood/appreciated

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Question

Why are all these reviewers shytting on Down? That hook is one of the most inventive and creative i’ve heard. shyt is groovy
Because they have to nitpick stuff when there isn’t much to criticize

A fair critique on Lupe’s work in years past had been lackluster production and him overthinking his lyrics. But on a record like Down the production is immaculate, and Lupe is experimenting with his delivery and killing it. So they gotta find something to poke at even if it clearly connects with the concept. It’s gotta be “corny” now even tho the hook is wavy melody-wise (pun intended) :pachaha:

The song was referenced earlier in this thread, but if Ghostface can make a joint like “Underwater” and rap about diving in the ocean with mermaids that have Halle Berry haircuts and seeing Spongebob down there driving a Bentley coup... :dead:

Yeah, most of my favorite rappers be on some other shyt :heh:

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
I’ll admit the pundits all coming out and pretty much saying the same thing has made me admit I didn’t pay attention much to the disconnect story wise. Goes to show you it’s not as jarring as they say it is, but you got roughly an EP (just my guess) of tracks that directly fit the core Wave story and then a separate album entirely where it’s just bits and pieces that connect to the story

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Troi is my future wife and I won't tolerate any one disrespecting her hooks :camby:

Her adlibs and hook on Body of Work are :ohlawd:

"I've always loved you" :noah:

"Tell me what to do" :shaq:

"Am I beautiful?"

Fuuuuuuuuuck

Song is too perfect. Bout to take a break from DW and bump some T&Y lol

I initially rarely fukked with the middle bit (Fall?) of T&Y other than Prisoners but those other 3 tracks really do something for you if you just want a sparse morose background to paint bleakness upon. And her hook does a lot to paint that image

Jim Cornette

The Cult of Meat with Extra Cheese...
Daps
Reppin
Australia
my god this is a hard album to digest...

i swear this the type of album jay electronica needs to make :mjcry:

after shytting on lupe ever since Lasers im finally giving a project a full listen and this has suprised me...
the start wit all that spanish shyt was a slow way to start the album.. by track 2 i nearly binned it.

but then Manilla had me
LwqH.gif

Haile Selassie....
C7ty.gif

im so mad at the start of the album because im only halfway through this shyt and i cant stop goin back :whew:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I initially rarely fukked with the middle bit (Fall?) of T&Y other than Prisoners but those other 3 tracks really do something for you if you just want a sparse morose background to paint bleakness upon. And her hook does a lot to paint that image
Prisoners is one of the best songs on the album
:mjlol:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
At some point if lupe keeps at it he's really going to strike gold. Not The Cool or F&L or L@SERS type gold but really being covenanted as the best rapper to rap.

At that point the media is going to be at his neck, I wonder if he even really wants that...?