Lupe Fiasco - DROGAS WAVE (Discussion Thread)

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
XO is amazing. That damn beat and that hook :blessed:. Then the bars. He killed the first 2 verses and the song felt like it was gonna ride out with that. Didnt need a 3rd verse... there here this dude come with another fire verse. Makes you sick that hes so good with the pen :scust:

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I’m talking about the slaveship/waves/water concept.
On the surface it seems to be abandoned but it is all connected breh.

Went from the backstory of the LongChains and transition to the problems their descendants face today, and other aspects of the modern day diaspora in a mythological perspective.

That’s why Alan & Jonylah have “resurrection” stories. Or how Michael Young History (The Cool) was brought back to life cuz his homies poured liquor (water) on him, and he is to undo all the bad he’s done. Like the last verse of Alan Forever & Jonylah Forever suggest.

Plus Lupe has admitted himself he more aligns with circular storytelling instead of linear storytelling. Linear storytelling is too easy for him at this point, plus he’s never really done that for an entire album.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
XO is amazing. That damn beat and that hook :blessed:. Then the bars. He killed the first 2 verses and the song felt like it was gonna ride out with that. Didnt need a 3rd verse... there here this dude come with another fire verse. Makes you sick that hes so good with the pen :scust:
I love that track. Seen a few people write it off as a Lasers type track but I disagree. I think it throws people off cuz it sounds so different from the songs surrounding it

Troi is excellent, that beat build up is on some futuristic shyt and Lupe hasn’t used that flow in yeaaaarsss :wow:

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Say insane, insane in the brain
In the brain, I bring the pain
Yeah, I came, that's why I came
In the game to do my thang, so whatchu think?
Write my story on the wall, on the wall
On the wall, ah-all, in Hall of Fames
Got a day in the city, ooohh
Not too gangster to be dancin' in the video

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
:salute: first and foremost Lupe is light years ahead of compitition. I'll give him that/ it'd be hard to even give him a suitable handicap to rhyme with his peers he's so far ahead:lupe:

With that being said/ my gripe among many has been his beat selection/ he's on point with this one:youngsabo:

The problem with lupe/ I can liken to body builders/ you have those that over do it to where it's not even practical for them to function in society:rudy: they can't even move:heh: so they do their little shows make money then it's back in gym:whoa:its these type intricate rappers albums good for 1spin but has no repeat value and the artist is back secluded in a lab or studio:scusthov: this about life experience not just intricately describing it. That can come across in your music. I won't even get into all the slave rubbish readerrict :scusthov: how many Hispanics rap about illegally crossing border/ just making it on a boat/ jew-rake with that Holocaust rap:leon: if you just got out of prison and had a friend constantly reminding you you where locked up how'd you view that person:scusthov:. Lastly we didn't come over on no waves no slave ships we where all ready here been here will be here. They intermingled slaves from Africa and the islands/ not to mention you had white slaves here as well. And stole our land rights spirituality and culture.

giphy.gif

Dboy41

All Star
Daps
Yall whine about Lupe’s complex music as if the radio and rap industry isnt saturated with rappers who cant even talk in complete sentences with only a 5th grade vocabulary.

This shyt on drogas wave is refreshing and needed as fukk. Exercise your brain sometimes.

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY
Top 5 for me would be -

WAV Files
Sun God Sam & the California Drug Deals
Gold vs the Right Things To Do
Quotations from Chairman Fred
XO/Jonylah Forever/Down - 3 way tie

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Imma shoot me a video and put it on the Tube, Imma spam IG to get up my views
And DM my favorite artist and say "I'm gonna be huuuu uuuggee" :ahh:

SAID I'M GONNA BE A RAPPER! :wow:
The accuracy of that song... I know so many aspiring rappers who follow that flowchart to a T
:mjlol:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I have to look at any review score that falls under an 8 for this album a lil funny.

an 8 is the floor for this type of record. I think this might be the best hooks he's ever had over the course of an entire album too, plenty of them are stuck in my head.