Luke cage dab scene was one of the most cringe things ever

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Recast the character

There is no real reason to do that, especially with the show on the platform now. No reboot or recast, just a continuation with better writers. shyt Regina King was gonna direct an episode, I'd be interested in seeing her take on the character.

That's nothing who he is in the comics tho
I dunno if his Dad is a preacher in the comics but he definitely curses

And irl Preacher kids be doing what they want

We don't have to point up all the changes they've made with characters between mediums.

And preachers kids are human...some go the total opposite way and wild out. Some try hard af to maintain the ideals they were indoctrinated with out in the 'real world' and end up lookin corny and naieve. I got a lot of ministers in my family so I've seen how it go. One brother literally on americas most wanted, the other a self censoring cornball trying to lecture everybody about the language they use lol, so while it wasn't comic accurate, for the story they set up his behavior made sense to me.

It feels like the writers were afraid to make him a stereotype so they just surrounded him with a bunch of stereotypes.

:stopitslime:

Last edited:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
There is no real reason to do that, especially with the show on the platform now. No reboot or recast, just a continuation with better writers. shyt Regina King was gonna direct an episode, I'd be interested in seeing her take on the character.

We don't have to point up all the changes they've made with characters between mediums.

And preachers kids are human...some go the total opposite way and wild out. Some try hard af to maintain the ideals they were indoctrinated with out in the 'real world' and end up lookin corny and naieve. I got a lot of ministers in my family so I've seen how it go. One brother literally on americas most wanted, the other a self censoring cornball trying to lecture everybody about the language they use lol, so while it wasn't comic accurate, for the story they set up his behavior made sense to me.

It feels like the writers were afraid to make him a stereotype so they just surrounded him with a bunch of stereotypes.

A lot of Black shows are afraid of stereotypes, so just make milquetoast, bourgeois Brunch Black ppl

Black family that's dealing with shyt, when they could have gone the have to be the best route

I liked the Black girl with the weird voice who was helping with the play too

Last edited:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
He is your average PK (preachers kid).

For that to be his origins in the show, the not cursing and kind of naievate...that's 100% on point. Making him into a blaxploitation jive talking this and that to would have had a whole host of other complaints so I get it.

BUT, if you peeped season 2, which was way better despite Cottonmouth being such a dope villan...that PK attitude is going to naturally have to level out with the way it ended. He can't protect the streets unless he's a part of them, so a 5 year gap of him running Harlem's paradise and dealing with the players that frequent there, him being more street savy and a little more swagged out would be a natural progession.

So many dope elements to the show you could keep, all you really need is better writers and a bigger budget.

Who said anything about blaxploitation breh? :mjpls:

There's no reason why Luke Cage couldn't have been done like Jamie St Patrick/Ghost as in well spoken, professional intelligent black man who originally came from the streets. There was nothing over the top about that character who was the most well received Black male TV lead character of the last decade.

But as I said in another post the makers of Luke Cage are uppity black people who are embarrassed by the hood and blackness being associated with it so everything just came across "we're not like those type of blacks:mjpls:" which is why they changed up Luke Cage's character and had him lecturing people in the hood as if they aren't products of their environment and systemic economic depravation which the show could have easily been commentary about.

The show was just a "Hey white people we're not hood like those other ones please accept us" show. That's why the show even made it a point to have Luke Cage be a wanted murder suspect before being antagonized by the police when in reality Black people are antagnonized by police just for being black but of course this show was terrified of possibly upsetting and labelling white people/society as problematic despite being a "black show".

l3lackstarr

In my observatory
Daps
Reppin
Alpha-Centauri
:mjlol: that's cuz Dabbing was NEVER cool. Specially when white folks(old white) started doing that shyt.

Might as well made Luke Cage "Plank" while he was at it.
Just absolutely obliterated it the moment they saw it :scust:
tenor.gif

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

No matter how you look at it, he wasn't natural. None of his conversations felt like any conversations anyone would have, so either he was deliberately trying to be corny or the Mike Colter is just a wooden-ass actor. Even if he was trying to lecture people...which I have no problem with...the way he was delivering the message was like he was struggling reading out loud. That's what the main problem is. He could've been a naive, an honest working man, and still sounded better - working man like Pops or someone that been around like Bobby Fish, or even a try-hard like Misty but they all sounded real. Carlton in both Fresh Princes were uppity, but still felt like that was just him being himself.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Who said anything about blaxploitation breh? :mjpls:

Some of the people wanting wanting more comic book accuracy.

The show was just a "Hey white people we're not hood like those other ones please accept us" show. That's why the show even made it a point to have Luke Cage be a wanted murder suspect before being antagonized by the police when in reality Black people are antagnonized by police just for being black but of course this show was terrified of possibly upsetting and labelling white people/society as problematic despite being a "black show".

I don't completely disagree...what I'm saying is, there are black people like that as well. Idealists and naieve nikkas who move according to acceptability politics or morality til they get a nikka wake up call. Luke going from lecturing everybody like he's above the fray then having to mix it up in the streets to can work as a character arc.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Some of the people wanting wanting more comic book accuracy.

I don't completely disagree...what I'm saying is, there are black people like that as well. Idealists and naieve nikkas who move according to acceptability politics or morality til they get a nikka wake up call. Luke going from lecturing everybody like he's above the fray then having to mix it up in the streets to can work as a character arc.
That violates his entire character tho
Yeah, MCU changes shyt but that's too egregious