Luke cage dab scene was one of the most cringe things ever

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah it was. You think a 40 year old man dabbing wasn't intended to come off corny and try-hard?

Honestly? Naw

I honestly believe In my heart they felt like they were doing something profound with that. I know exactly who they were trying to market to with that

It probably could have hit if it wasn’t coming from nikka that date white girls and wear boot cut jeans

KING WILL

Superstar
Daps
The entire promotion storyline was silly af 2 me. The dab, the 40 yd dash, the tough talking into the camera...

I hated all of it.

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
Luke Cage show was trash.

It was like watching an Obama/Kamala Harris version of Luke Cage.

He had zero street edge :scust:

And was essentially a suburban cornball :mjlol:
They intentionally wrote him like that. They changed his origin around so that he wasn’t from Harlem, but was a former cop and the son of a Georgia preacher. He lectures black kids about not using the n-word (but also unashamedly listens to Wu-Tang and Mobb Deep :unimpressed:). He goes out of his way to protect a white police officer who’s profiling him. They even take away the “Hero for Hire” concept sitting at the core of his character in the comics so that he can be, and I quote, “Harlem’s Captain America”.

Basically, the show sets out to sand down all the rough edges of Luke’s character so that he can be safe, nonthreatening, and respectable. The showrunner said that he wanted Luke Cage to be a superhero version of The Wire, but his take on Luke spends zero time actually doing anything to address or examine the systemic issues inherent in the status quo, which is what The Wire is all about. If anything, Luke helps to uphold them.

The show is kind of :mjpls: when you really think about it.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
First half of season 1 with cottonmouth is actually a full self contained story with no loose ends. So i just ignore the second half of the first season.
Doing that makes that a classic mini series low key.
the rest of the series was ehh.

I agree Mike Colter was a lil too square to be luke cage. Obviously you don't want luke cage to come off as a caricature of a bombastic black person like white writers often did in the blackploitation era.
but he should still have some swag about him. Like another poster mentioned, i always pictured his personality somewhat like the Rock. I don't think it was the writing though. I've seen Mike Colter in other stuff, and he just comes off as corny. But Luke Cage still my favorite marvel character. So i won't be mad if they bring him back.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
First half of season 1 with cottonmouth is actually a full self contained story with no loose ends. So i just ignore the second half of the first season.
Doing that makes that a classic mini series low key.
the rest of the series was ehh.

I agree Mike Colter was a lil too square to be luke cage. Obviously you don't want luke cage to come off as a caricature of a bombastic black person like white writers often did in the blackploitation era.
but he should still have some swag about him. Like another poster mentioned, i always pictured his personality somewhat like the Rock. I don't think it was the writing though. I've seen Mike Colter in other stuff, and he just comes off as corny. But Luke Cage still my favorite marvel character. So i won't be mad if they bring him back.

He has the look, so as long as he plays off others, it isn't that bad. But his monologue driven scenes were horrible.

I didn't mind the second half of S1. Diamondback revved up the comicbook feel I wanted the entire time. It could've had a smoother transition, but Alfre Woodard was the one that toed the line between tone that made it work to me. Her & Simone Missick as Misty weren't as grim...Theo Rossi too. They were all having fun with it. It's the difference between 616 Punisher/Daredevil criminal underworld and Spidey criminal underworld. But, Luke belongs more on the Spidey side to me.

I'm really hoping these aren't reboots, and if they are then only soft reboots.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
They intentionally wrote him like that. They changed his origin around so that he wasn’t from Harlem, but was a former cop and the son of a Georgia preacher. He lectures black kids about not using the n-word (but also unashamedly listens to Wu-Tang and Mobb Deep :unimpressed:). He goes out of his way to protect a white police officer who’s profiling him. They even take away the “Hero for Hire” concept sitting at the core of his character in the comics so that he can be, and I quote, “Harlem’s Captain America”.

Basically, the show sets out to sand down all the rough edges of Luke’s character so that he can be safe, nonthreatening, and respectable. The showrunner said that he wanted Luke Cage to be a superhero version of The Wire, but his take on Luke spends zero time actually doing anything to address or examine the systemic issues inherent in the status quo, which is what The Wire is all about. If anything, Luke helps to uphold them.

The show is kind of :mjpls: when you really think about it.

The show was written by suburban new blacks who are embarrassed by black hood/street cats as if they're not products of their environment caused by systemic economical depravation :mjpls:.

No reason why Luke Cage couldn't have still been well spoken, professional and accomplished whilst retaining the character's street edge like Jamie St Patrick/Ghost from Power.

As you said they made him a safe black man and removed all his street edge and him being his own boss. Most likely so he could be more palatable to whites and suburban blacks. They did the same with T'Challa by making him Obama when he's a stone cold killer in the comics :mjpls:

Can't have a dominant Independent uncompromising black male hero who's a "threat" to "white masculinity" can we :mjpls:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Season 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

They should let Spike Lee or somebody (besides Malcom Spellman) continue the series. Imagine something like Power but with a more street savy Luke Cage going by how S2 ended.
Recast the character

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Luke Cage show was trash.

It was like watching an Obama/Kamala Harris version of Luke Cage.

He had zero street edge :scust:

And was essentially a suburban cornball :mjlol:

He is your average PK (preachers kid).

For that to be his origins in the show, the not cursing and kind of naievate...that's 100% on point. Making him into a blaxploitation jive talking this and that to would have had a whole host of other complaints so I get it.

BUT, if you peeped season 2, which was way better despite Cottonmouth being such a dope villan...that PK attitude is going to naturally have to level out with the way it ended. He can't protect the streets unless he's a part of them, so a 5 year gap of him running Harlem's paradise and dealing with the players that frequent there, him being more street savy and a little more swagged out would be a natural progession.

So many dope elements to the show you could keep, all you really need is better writers and a bigger budget.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
He is your average PK (preachers kid).

For that to be his origins in the show, the not cursing and kind of naievate...that's 100% on point. Making him into a blaxploitation jive talking this and that to would have had a whole host of other complaints so I get it.

BUT, if you peeped season 2, which was way better despite Cottonmouth being such a dope villan...that PK attitude is going to naturally have to level out with the way it ended. He can't protect the streets unless he's a part of them, so a 5 year gap of him running Harlem's paradise and dealing with the players that frequent there, him being more street savy and a little more swagged out would be a natural progession.

So many dope elements to the show you could keep, all you really need is better writers and a bigger budget.

That's nothing who he is in the comics tho
I dunno if his Dad is a preacher in the comics but he definitely curses

And irl Preacher kids be doing what they want