Low key though: The fantastic four is a garbage group, their origin sucks, and marvel should kill em

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
A big aspect that I remember from Fantastic Four is that they're big celebrities and well loved in the world. Something like a JFK and Jackie Kennedy. They have do a Kardasian-esque take on it for them. The whole celebrity angle overlapping how regular people interact with these heroes would be a new perspective we've haven't really seen.
Yeah I forget that there isn't a secret identity, and they're big time stars

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Highkey, it's a coin flip to know what characters will actually connect with modern/global society.

A report last year (18 Colorful Comic Book Industry Statistics for 2022) showed that only 6% of Americans age 18-34 actually read comics on a monthly basis, and about half of that same demographic has never read a comic before. Americans age 55+ don't fukk with comic books either. A Forbes article in 2019 mentioned that superhero content is less than 10% of comic sales in mass market bookstores, with kids oriented comics having 41% and manga being 28%

Point being: young folks would rather be introduced to these characters through movies, tv shows, and games; the comic book industry itself has always been a relatively small and majority close-minded population, dominated by cac writers and cac editors catering towards the lowest denominator cac neckbeards. But now the characters not glorified by neck-beards have a more even playing field with everyone else.

Put another way: Little white girls don't care if a 40 something year old male thinks Jean Grey or Sue Storm should be more popular than Carol Danvers. 18-34s don't care that Ironman, Cap, and Thor aren't supposed to be more beloved than the X-Men. It's all show and prove.

I don't read comics at all either. My entire comic history was from the ages of 9-12. It was a short but big phase of my life and I absorbed it all like a sponge. I can still recall a lot of the stories. Anything that happened around after 1993 I don't know about it at all.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
crazy how she was the first choice for black widow but a scheduling conflict landed Scarlett Johansen the role instead.
Was she really the first choice? I thought Marvel just called her to see if she's open to it. I would guess Marvel would put out feelers to a bunch of actresses and then decide based on options.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Was she really the first choice? I thought Marvel just called her to see if she's open to it. I would guess Marvel would put out feelers to a bunch of actresses and then decide based on options.
Well it's possible they spoke to other actresses as well, but i saw somewhere she was considered before Scarlett, but couldn't due to a scheduling conflict.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Well it's possible they spoke to other actresses as well, but i saw somewhere she was considered before Scarlett, but couldn't due to a scheduling conflict.
Emily blunt was supposed to be black widow but universal had her due the Wolfman movie.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I don't read comics at all either. My entire comic history was from the ages of 9-12. It was a short but big phase of my life and I absorbed it all like a sponge. I can still recall a lot of the stories. Anything that happened around after 1993 I don't know about it at all.
Yea, the stories and concepts have always been fantastic but imo people who stayed too long as readers began to overrate the appeal of certain characters within that small fishbowl (see damn near any x-men character) and underestimate the popularity the "b through z" level characters could have in the bigger ocean, if actual effort was given.

Just look at Blade. If he was white, neckbeards would've gave him the skill set of an Alucard, Vampire Hunter D, or Dante and he'd have been a staple of all the 90s arcade games. Instead, he stayed a powerless nygga with goggles and TJ Maxx clearance boots until Wesley decided to intervene.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Yea, the stories and concepts have always been fantastic but imo people who stayed too long as readers began to overrate the appeal of certain characters within that small fishbowl (see damn near any x-men character) and underestimate the popularity the "b through z" level characters could have in the bigger ocean, if actual effort was given.

Just look at Blade. If he was white, neckbeards would've gave him the skill set of an Alucard, Vampire Hunter D, or Dante and he'd have been a staple of all the 90s arcade games. Instead, he stayed a powerless nygga with goggles and TJ Maxx clearance boots until Wesley decided to intervene.

Yeah in the MCU, pretty much any character or team could get on if they get a movie or series, although now is probably a bad time to get introduced since now there's a little bit of marvel fatigue these days.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps

yeah same reason cacs think batman can beat black panther.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY

You just described me. I came up during X-Men #1 Jim Lee god level art. McFarlane Spidey, Liefield X-Factor. Then Image Comics. Iron-Man, Capt America, Dr Strange, Thor were all B and C level characters to me. F4 were C level to me but I understood their stories and knew how important they were in history and the overall universe. I was just stuck in that X-Men wave. Which was a beautiful place to be in at the time.

EnkEMpbVcAA2FQH

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all gonna pay for all this FF slander. That's Marvel's foundation yall talking about :ufdup:

They faced the goat villains too. Avengers was always mid comic book wise. The movies made them. The genius gawd Reed Richards would've came up with a solution or contraption for Thanos real quick but that would mean no Endgame movie so:yeshrug:

Stark Enterprises :hhh:

Facts. The Lee Kirby FF run revolutionized comics as a medium and built the foundation for the Marvel Universe as we know it.
- They were the first superheroes who acted more like halfway regular people instead of flawless moral paragons.
- They had the goat villains (Doom, Galactus)
- The F4 introduced the Silver Surver, Black Panther, the Negative Zone, etc.
- Their comics opened the door for cosmic Marvel
- The success of that OG Lee/Kirby run set the stage for the rise of the X-men/Avengers/Spider-man, etc.
- The John Byrne run was one of the best in Marvel's whole history. (Example: Everyone vs Galactus)

People write the F4 off as corny because they're only judging from the context of these terrible movies that don't do the characters or the concept justice.
These Fantastic Four movies were clearly made by people who didn't do their homework on the OG comicbook storylines. They had no respect for Stan and Jack's vision.

Just look at Blade. If he was white, neckbeards would've gave him the skill set of an Alucard, Vampire Hunter D, or Dante and he'd have been a staple of all the 90s arcade games. Instead, he stayed a powerless n____ with goggles and TJ Maxx clearance boots until Wesley decided to intervene.

Yeah, this is one of the biggest things that messed up comics in the long run.

- The shrinking marketplace. Comics used to be sold EVERYWHERE (7-11, newstands, grocery store checkout lines, etc.), but now they're next to impossible to find outside of specialty shops that only nerds (like me) visit on a regular basis.

- Too many fanboys who are only writing the books to entertain other fanboys. You've got a lot of lackluster writers who just want to make their favorite character invincible whether it makes sense or not.

- Preachy politics. Politics in comics can be cool when they're done correctly (examples: God Loves Man Kills and Watchmen), but when you address sensitive issues, you have to do it in a way that respects the characters, the readers, and the established rules of the narrative.

- Too many reboots, convoluted stories and alternate timelines. How is any regular person (who isn't a comic nerd like me) supposed to know where to start?

- Books are overpriced

- Books trying too hard to be Watchmen

- Too many dope villains are either reformed or underutilized. Too much reliance on the "heroes" fighting each other over fake moral dilemmas instead of protecting innocent people, fighting villains, and standing for strong morals/values. They took all the good versus evil out of comics.

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
sue storm matured and become tough as she moved from "invisible girl" to "invisible woman" / "invisible PAWG".

it needs an actress with innner steel to play her.

sigourney weaver, linda hamilton or gina torres .. but hotter.

that is why emily blunt (younger) would be (could have been) a good choice.