Low key Jay-Z kind of messed up Hip Hop...

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Game, Prosperity and Good Fortune
... I know this is random as hell but I just thought I'd put this out there.

I'm going to make this short and sweet;

Before Jay Z came out with Reasonable Doubt rappers were allowed to be rappers.

Tribe Called Quest and de la Soul's had a lane just as Wu-Tang and Biggie a Lane.

Jay-Z got into this thing with "I'm not a rapper I'm a hustler that knows how to rap" attitude.

That energy kind of set hip hop back because everybody wanted to be the drug dealer / gangster / rapper first and artist / rapper wayyy in the back.

It was brilliant marketing by the way but bad for hip hop as a whole.

For umteen years hip hop became artistically schizophrenic and the integrity art form was very questionable.

Tribe's De La's and Digable planet's became iincreasingly Irrelevant for the simple fact that they weren't Street enough. When did being. A hustler equal being a hip hoper?

But overall this Vibe and energy set hip hop by back for like 15 years and it's started with Jay-Z.

And it came at the worst time too. Right after the death of Biggie and Tupac.

With that said I think Reasonable Doubt is Jay-Z's greatest record and one of the better hip hop albums ever to come out.

Also it encompasses many of the emotions that a street dude have in the game.

But it still doesn't change the fact that Jay Z bought an ugly energy to hip-hop unknowingly...

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
That whole 96-99 Jiggy Hip Hop era kinda set the precedence for now

I don't necessarily "Blame" Jay-Z. That was his particular style. Not his fault wack ass rappers used that lane to promote their wackness

Kendrick Lamar is basically Arrested Development in 2018, with that fake deep nonsense. And no one's complaining about that

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Jay-Z got into this thing with "I'm not a rapper I'm a hustler that knows how to rap" attitude.

That energy kind of set hip hop back because everybody wanted to be the drug dealer / gangster / rapper first and artist / rapper wayyy in the back.

It was brilliant marketing by the way but bad for hip hop as a whole.

He was being himself. :gucci:...Was he supposed to rap like Brand Nubian?

He was a caked up dopeboy with Versace swagger. Wtf was he supposed to rap about. Blame the people who weren't being authentic and true to themselves.

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Camel stans about to beat your ass

Well I'm a fan. I mean somewhat.

I just think people don't remember what it was like it at that time. 96-97 was a huge fragmentation and Hip Hop from the way it was from 86 to 95. Thats when the product started to get real water down.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Then who ?

As far as things go with specially on the East Coast he was the first "I'm not a rapper I'm a hustler" dude...

I mean you had a few dudes on the west coast that was hollering that but they just could have rhyme as nice as Jay.

Jay-Z and Camp Lo was the same chit, and when both their debuts dropped Camp Lo did better.

There wasn't no overnight turnover to East Coast niccas (ergo "everybody else") rappin' about hustling just because of him.
Hell - you could argue Biggie is the nicca for that...

Razor Reader

Formerly -----
Daps
Reppin
Jay-Z and Camp Lo was the same chit, and when both their debuts dropped Camp Lo did better.

There wasn't no overnight turnover to East Coast niccas (ergo "everybody else") rappin' about hustling just because of him.
Hell - you could argue Biggie is the nicca for that...

Nah man. Jay kind of furnish this attitude that started to be popular in the late l late and early 90s 2000s where he had a low key destain for the artform.