Looking back on it ps3>>>>ps4

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
After the initial debacle with the pricing, it turned out to be a great gen for gaming.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Xbox 360/PS3 era was easily the best time in videogame history. More new game franchises, more player engagement, Prime E3 presentations, Best videogame trailers, Peak console war fukkery, etc. I don't think we will ever see as good a time in gaming as those days.

That said, from a hardware perspective the PS3 was overpriced and hard to develop for. It was missing several promised features like multiple HDMI outputs, 4 front USB ports, etc. The PS3 killed off backwards compatibility too. Its saving grace was that it was the cheapest full functioning Blu-ray player for a few years. Many people don't remember, but the first generation of Blu-ray players were missing features (BD-Live), with many not able to be and weren't upgradeable. So the PS3 was the only safe purchase.

I personally feel it was the worst time in video game history. :yeshrug:

Both systems were a glitchy mess. Especially, with the XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death. Along with a bunch of bare bones glitchy games to go with it.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
I personally feel it was the worst time in video game history. :yeshrug:

Both systems were a glitchy mess. Especially, with the XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death. Along with a bunch of bare bones glitchy games to go with it.
MS fixed any RROD console under warranty for free for 3 years. They released at least 2 more Xbox 360 consoles during that generation. So that was a big nothingburger. It was the GOAT gen for new game IP franchises (Gears, Forza, TLOU, Uncharted, TellTale games, Batman Arkham series, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, etc) and the peak for many older franchises like Halo 3, GTA IV & V, and COD.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
MS fixed any RROD console under warranty for free for 3 years. They released at least 2 more Xbox 360 consoles during that generation. So that was a big nothingburger. It was the GOAT gen for new game IP franchises (Gears, Forza, TLOU, Uncharted, TellTale games, Batman Arkham series, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, etc) and the peak for many older franchises like Halo 3, GTA IV & V, and COD.

It was far from a nothingburger when many of us had to keep sending our XBOX 360 in multiple times because of the Red Ring of Death. :heh:

I was officially done with XBOX once I had to send my 360 in after the 3rd Red Ring of Death. :heh:

Who wanted to keep waiting a whole 6 weeks. Just to get it back and get the Red Ring of Death again in just a couple of months.:heh:

This was also the start of the after release bugs fix updates. Because most of the games released were unfinished buggy mess. And needed an after release update to fix the broken games.

SupaVillain

Keep your glory, gold and glitter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
i miss the versatility on the ps3. I downloaded so much music, videos on that thing, it lowkey jumpstarted me being a pirate lmao, but i agree, it was a weaker system in the family

Allen Poe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans --> Las Vegas
PS3 had some good exclusives, but as a console it was fukking GARBAGE. I still play older titles from time to time, and every time I fire my PS3 up, I'm reminded just how much I hate this damn thing.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
It was far from a nothingburger when many of us had to keep sending our XBOX 360 in multiple times because of the Red Ring of Death. :heh:

I was officially done with XBOX once I had to send my 360 in after the 3rd Red Ring of Death. :heh:

Who wanted to keep waiting a whole 6 weeks. Just to get it back and get the Red Ring of Death again in just a couple of months.:heh:

This was also the start of the after release bugs fix updates. Because most of the games released were unfinished buggy mess. And needed an after release update to fix the broken games.
If you returned your unit 3 times, your gaming room must have been dusty AF. I had mine repaired once and it lasted a couple years until I traded it in for a Kinect model. I still have a working OG 360 in my basement today.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you returned your unit 3 times, your gaming room must have been dusty AF. I had mine repaired once and it lasted a couple years until I traded it in for a Kinect model. I still have a working OG 360 in my basement today.

Nope and I know over ten people that had the same issues. :heh:

It was just a shytty system and era. :heh:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
PS3 had some good exclusives, but as a console it was fukking GARBAGE. I still play older titles from time to time, and every time I fire my PS3 up, I'm reminded just how much I hate this damn thing.
Media storage/player, blu ray, web browser, etc. Wasn't shyt garbage about that console.

Allen Poe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans --> Las Vegas
Media storage/player, blu ray, web browser, etc. Wasn't shyt garbage about that console.

--garbage controller
--majority of multiplat games ran better on 360, at times significantly better
--shyt UI
--incredibly slow download speeds
--sometimes you can't even navigate the system while you're downloading, and even processing the "download in background" option was slow as hell
--slow ass installation process after download

drifter

Superstar
Daps
GOAT design
Possibly widest variety of exclusives of any other PS
Best marketing

Said it in another thread but the PS3 is the last console from anybody to pack so much shyt into it. USB ports before they were on everything, Blu Ray before it was everywhere, XMB was much better than the tile interface everybody shifted to, full BC. They had the right idea with free online it just wasn't up to the competition, online should be free

A lot of people didn't like the marketing with the baby doll, rubix cube, etc. which is strange because luxury fashion brands tell stories about their products using the same strategies. I get it's different demographics but you'd think gamers would be more open considering the number of hours of their lives they sink into polygons. PS3 was a luxury device when it launched, if you had one you had status. Never experienced something like that before, we were saying that shyt as preteens, the iPhone before the iPhone came then went to shyt