Looking back at Nas in the Summer of 2002

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Nah, he didn't back down. He LOST.

He tried to make more comeback joints for "Ether". People barely heard them. So no matter what he was gonna do, the L was already the L. He had to admit that Nas got him, which he did. You gotta let the people call it. There were people riding with Jay, but it wasn't even close. Nas got him.

So he dropped another couple albums and retired two years later, but only from solo sh*t on Roc because he still did another joint with R. Kelly and Linkin Park. The real reason he "retired" was because he wanted to break away from Dame and do the "exec" rebrand thing that LA Reid and them had planned for him. He wanted to bring in Dre to do his whole next album and end the Roc era. None of that had anything to do with Nas. Jay sold 4 million albums on TBA and needed to basically sever all ties with Roc brass to start all over with Kingdom Come, which was probably his wackest album.

Dame and them didn’t help either… you’re definitely right about that.

All the Roc looked weak back then.

By 2006, Jay was a OG.

Him and LA Reid definitely helped Nas out on Def Jam.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Dame and them didn’t help either… you’re definitely right about that.

All the Roc looked weak back then.

By 2006, Jay was a OG.

Him and LA Reid definitely helped Nas out on Def Jam.

The Roc was basically just Kanye by 2004.

It was sad because dude spent years trying to get down, and when he finally got on, the label was done, lol. He carried that by himself.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
First off Nas is the GOAT to me and I know this has been discussed endless times but I went down the rabbit hole on Youtube of those videos of him flipping out on Hot 97, Cam, Jay etc. and this was probably his biggest mistake for a lot of reasons:

1- He had a right to feel a way about HOT 97 being impartial to Jay, but cutting his NYC radio play in half was never going to cut it only to apologize come album time that winter.
2- Going at Cam and Nore for no reason was a HORRIBLE move! Cam was up and coming and Nas had little ammo on him whereas Cam had all the ammo in the world on Nas just coming off his battle with Jay. This would be like Kendrick going at someone up and coming right now (not going to compare anyone in 24 to Cam) and they can use a lot of what Drake used in better fashion. Going at Nore too after all those years was obviously not a good look as well especially both being from Queens and having classics together.
3- The Murda Inc signing was a bad move. I know he was trying to recreate Pac to Death Row but it only led to 1 song and luckily he did get out but it made him look like an employee at that time when Jay had Rocafella, Em Shady, 50 g-unit etc.
4- He also lost an opportunity during that time to stay cool with 50 which would've helped his career a lot going forward.
5- I also think it led to a drop in his albums. Lost Tapes and Gods son were good, but it took a few years after that to drop a quality album,.

I know he was going through a lot at that time too but I'm sure he regrets doing that.

he was never signed to Murda inc

He went at Cam and Nore because he wasn't in his right mind his mother was on her death bead.

Cam didn't do shyt but get some weirdo white boys on the internet emboldened to talk shyt about the GOAT. "smarten up nas" "nas lost" type bullshyt was all cac memes and embarrassingly adopted by dumb brehs

He didn't lose anything with 50. 50 is an over emotional clown and he came back around eventually

this whole analysis is off and frankly unnecessary.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Nas is a wanted man. The heralded Queens, N.Y., rapper recently was seen standing underneath an elevated train track on Chicago’s North Side taping a commercial for his sixth studio album, “God’s Son.” The release date of the highly anticipated collection was moved up nearly a week because of the rampant bootlegging of the album, which had shown up locally and nationally.

“The streets wanted my new album, `God’s Son,'” Nas said in one take of the commercial, his breath visible in the frosty air. “The problem is so did the bootleggers. So I moved [up] the release date. . . . ” He then paused and gave a glassy stare into the camera: “Checkmate.”

It’s evident that Nas (given name Nasir Jones) isn’t worried about bootleggers affecting the sales tally of his new album. After all, “God’s Son” — which has spent three weeks in Billboard’s top 20 and has sold 630,000 copies — stands as one of hip-hop’s best releases of the year and may even eclipse Nas’ debut album, 1994’s “Illmatic,” which is considered a classic in hip-hop circles.

An artist who long has been regarded as one of hip-hop’s best poets but whose albums rarely have matched his potential, Nas delivers the album of his career with “God’s Son.”

He’s evolved from a rapper easily swayed by trends, who relied at times on lazy gangster themes rather than breathe life into well-worn street topics, as he did on “Illmatic.”

“Who wants to be the same boring person forever?” Nas said moments before stepping out of his chauffeured Ford Excursion to tape the commercial. “I’m evolving as a person. I’m changing, growing. Ice Cube cut his Jheri-curl. Michael Jackson got lighter.”

In an era where many rappers boast about “keeping it real,” Nas delivers a revealing round of reality rap on “God’s Son.” On such moving selections as “Warrior” and “Dance,” Nas raps about the impact the April 2002 death of his mother has had on him. “The Cross” features him addressing his new, more thoughtful musical stance, while on “Heaven” he raps about the beauty of life and how people can find heaven in their hearts if they try. Nas also encourages his young fans to believe in themselves on “I Can,” a cut with a backing beat that includes portions of Beethoven’s “Fur Elise.”

Even though this type of soul-baring is rare by an artist of Nas’ status (each of his five albums has been certified at least platinum), Nas feels he makes his best music when he says something of substance.

“This is my most personal record,” Nas said. “I’ve been through a lot this year, so it comes out in my music. I’ve got a lot to talk about.”

Many rap fans have been enthralled with Nas’ much talked about rivalry with Jay-Z, another chart-topping rapper.

The two have been in an unofficial battle for the title of king of New York. But, Nas said that he’s no longer worried about what people feel about him. He wants to convey messages in his music.

“Everybody’s concentrating on certain titles that they don’t believe they can get,” Nas said. “So when it does happen, it’s like, `What can you do now?’ Is that all you wanted? There’s more to having a gift than basking in your glory or being the king for five minutes in the street.”

I think somebody lyin'
Smell somebody lyin'

Daps
he was never signed to Murda inc

He went at Cam and Nore because he wasn't in his right mind his mother was on her death bead.

Cam didn't do shyt but get some weirdo white boys on the internet emboldened to talk shyt about the GOAT. "smarten up nas" "nas lost" type bullshyt was all cac memes and embarrassingly adopted by dumb brehs

He didn't lose anything with 50. 50 is an over emotional clown and he came back around eventually

this whole analysis is off and frankly unnecessary.

Nas is my GOAT but that whole rant on the radio was because Hot 97 wouldn't let him do a mock hanging of Jay-Z on stage for his performance, let's just call a spade a spade.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
The fact he did all that because he paid some white guys a bunch of money to make a replica Jay-Z and a gallows to lynch it from and Hot97 said "nah" is crazy.

Nas was wildin'!!

But there was no way they were gonna let him do that. When we heard about it, everybody was like "This n*gga is CRAZY!!".

:russ: