Looking back at Nas in the Summer of 2002

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Dude and his stans thought he was the šŸ¤“ after that battle but shyt sold like 118k first week. Blew all that good will after his W and aint been looked at on that level ever since. 2002 was a bad year for Nas

02 was still part of Stillmatic run, The Lost Tapes, and Made You Look :mjtf:

02 was a banner year for him

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
First off Nas is the GOAT to me and I know this has been discussed endless times but I went down the rabbit hole on Youtube of those videos of him flipping out on Hot 97, Cam, Jay etc. and this was probably his biggest mistake for a lot of reasons:

1- He had a right to feel a way about HOT 97 being impartial to Jay, but cutting his NYC radio play in half was never going to cut it only to apologize come album time that winter.
2- Going at Cam and Nore for no reason was a HORRIBLE move! Cam was up and coming and Nas had little ammo on him whereas Cam had all the ammo in the world on Nas just coming off his battle with Jay. This would be like Kendrick going at someone up and coming right now (not going to compare anyone in 24 to Cam) and they can use a lot of what Drake used in better fashion. Going at Nore too after all those years was obviously not a good look as well especially both being from Queens and having classics together.
3- The Murda Inc signing was a bad move. I know he was trying to recreate Pac to Death Row but it only led to 1 song and luckily he did get out but it made him look like an employee at that time when Jay had Rocafella, Em Shady, 50 g-unit etc.
4- He also lost an opportunity during that time to stay cool with 50 which would've helped his career a lot going forward.
5- I also think it led to a drop in his albums. Lost Tapes and Gods son were good, but it took a few years after that to drop a quality album,.
watching youtubes without context is why most of these takes wer incorrect

1. hot97 was actively roasting him, dame got stillmatic free removed from station and they named a primetime show slot after takeover with the intro dissin nas

this is why he recorded fukk hot which was the hot97 diss song he deleted

2. he didnt diss them for no reason; nore was partnered wit nature and dame dash and was sneak dissin; camron dissed nas on live my life first verse. this was all months before

3. he didnt sign to murda inc and never was going to; he said this himself. the media took irv gottis claims and ran with them based off 1 collab he did. essentially irv lied.

4. 50 beef with nas is because nas replaced him on a trackmaster JLO record and he thought nas should have contacted him. this entitlement stems from him publically stating he left nas off how to rob out of respect.

5. godson is critically acclaimed and so is hhid

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
No it wasnt. Why dont u think SD was prompted that well? And he was gone soon after

Godson did not do what was expected

Stillmatic was released Dec 2001, and fed the streets for months

God's Son was released Dec 2002 & went platinum

One Mic & Made You Look were his 2 singles in 02...I know bc I lived through it, u buggin

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
SD sold 232K first week :sas2:

HHID sold 355K first week :sas2:
232k is not good for him. Album didnt even sell 1 million

And 355 was because he sign to Jay z. Once people heard the album it died. That is the highest first week for a album to not go plat. Not good at all. Thats why def jam stop promoting him

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

And 355 was because he sign to Jay z. Once people heard the album it died. That is the highest first week for a album to not go plat. Not good at all. Thats why def jam stop promoting him
HHID is platinum

Surreal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

šŸ¤£ SD went plat over almost 20 years ago....keep up

Only his recent Indy albums didn't sale at least Gold but they'll get there
Every major record album released went Gold or better....hence him leaving both Sony and DefJam in the Black
both contracts fulfilled

If you gon hate, hate right

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
And on top of that it dropped on a Friday instead of Tuesday:mjlol:
Lol this shyt still didnt sell. It went plat in a month because of shipping not sales. No store ordered more of that album after a month. It was ton of stock left over. I worked at a target back then. We had to pull the album from the shelve