Lisa “Lisa” Velez, Was Offered The Lead Role In “Coming To America” But Her Ex-Husband Said: :mjpls:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
48 Hours
Trading Places
Beverly Hills Cop
The Golden Child
Beverly Hills Cop 2
Eddie Murphy: Raw

ALL came out before Coming To America :mjlol:

Even Party All The Time came out 3 years before Coming to America

hqdefault.jpg

Eddie Murphy was a super star

He was a huge star at that point.

I don't think it would've been brought up in the interview if it wasn't about the lead role. Like what other lead role could she have played?

I know how you get when we don't praise Hispanic females but Shari Headley >>>>>>> Lisa Velez

yall right , he was a superstar but after this movie he became a megastar

i’m still confused on how so many of y’all automatically assumed the role was Lisa McDowell
like do you realize how much the budget to that movie was back then ? and placing a mid success artist as the leading role for that blockbuster movie wouldn’t make sense at all

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps

i’m still confused on how so many of y’all automatically assumed the role was Lisa McDowell
like do you realize how much the budget to that movie was back then ? and placing a mid success artist as the leading role for that blockbuster movie wouldn’t make sense at all
She confirmed in another separate longer interview that it was for the lead. She was not “mid” at the time. She had two number one consecutive singles in 1987. She was the hottest commodity at that point.

And Eddie had all the pull. Simply due to the fact that he had hired John Landis to direct it. This was in spite of the “Twilight Zone” incident where two child actors died. He was considered “toxic” to work with and even Spielberg bushed him publicly.

And guess who helped clean his image up? Michael Jackson with hiring him for Thriller and Eddie for this movie. No one “big” wanted to really be associated with John after the incident but as always, we hand these CACs a bone.

So Eddie had plenty of pull at that point.

Writer Nti Aning tweeted a free-wheeling 1990 Playboy interview by David Rensin with Eddie Murphy. In the interview, Murphy talked about his time filming Coming to America with director John Landis, who he compelled Paramount to hire even though Landis had gone to court for a deadly helicopter crash on the set of his 1982 film, Twilight Zone: The Movie. The crash killed actor Vic Morrow and child actors Myca Dinh Le and Renee Shinn Chen. Both child actors were also hired in violation of California’s child labor laws. Landis and four others, including the pilot and the special effects coordinator, were acquitted of involuntary manslaughter, but the accident led to new safety standards for using helicopters during filming.

When asked by Playboy why he gave the directorial job to Landis instead of directing Coming to America himself, Murphy said, “I wanted to help out…Landis. I figured I’d give this guy a shot because his career was [expletive]. But he wound up [expletive] me.” But, Murphy continued, Landis became a horror on set to Murphy. “As it turned out, John always resented that I hadn’t gone to his Twilight Zonetrial. I never knew that; I thought we were cool. But he’d been harboring it for a year. Every now and then, he would make little remarks, like, ‘You didn’t help me out; you don’t realize how close I was to going to jail.’ I never paid any mind.”

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

Murphy was a megastar. He still has the record for highest grossing stand up comedy performance. He did it in 1987 and it still stands today.

48 hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop were all cross over movies. And Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2 grossed more than Coming To America.

If anything Coming To America was a hit because of Murphy. You acting like that movie made him when it was the other way around.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

Ur 100% wrong.

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
what makes y’all think it was the leading role of Lisa McDowell

the fact that Eddie ask her - if only could’ve been a small/supporting role ~cause at that time Eddie wasn't the mega star he later on became
:wtf: ya might wanna go do some research. Some would say that was his peak. He had already dropped classic movies and comedy specials by then.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
48 Hours
Trading Places
Beverly Hills Cop
The Golden Child
Beverly Hills Cop 2
Eddie Murphy: Raw

ALL came out before Coming To America :mjlol:

Even Party All The Time came out 3 years before Coming to America

hqdefault.jpg

Eddie Murphy was a super star
People be fronting on him man lol. Like he was certified when he was on SNL. Thats why he became the star he did

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
She confirmed in another separate longer interview that it was for the lead. She was not “mid” at the time. She had two number one consecutive singles in 1987. She was the hottest commodity at that point.

And Eddie had all the pull. Simply due to the fact that he had hired John Landis to direct it. This was in spite of the “Twilight Zone” incident where two child actors died. He was considered “toxic” to work with and even Spielberg bushed him publicly.

And guess who helped clean his image up? Michael Jackson with hiring him for Thriller and Eddie for this movie. No one “big” wanted to really be associated with John after the incident but as always, we hand these CACs a bone.

So Eddie had plenty of pull at that point.

interesting
with that said vanessa Bell Calloway gave an interview a few years ago saying she was supposed to get the role of Lisa McDowell but J Landis selected Shari Headley … her opinion was colorism because she was too dark to have that leading role

I’m sorry I’m just never gonna buy that Eddie offered her leading role for this blockbuster movie …. Lisa, Lisa and cult jam was a pretty good decent solid group back in the days and I just can’t see him offering her that role with her having no or maybe lil acting … . It’s not like she was Janet Jackson or Paula Abdul who were major stars at that time.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
He was a huge star at that point.

I don't think it would've been brought up in the interview if it wasn't about the lead role. Like what other lead role could she have played?

I know how you get when we don't praise Hispanic females but Shari Headley >>>>>>> Lisa Velez
Exactly. The only other thing she could’ve possibly played if not the lead would’ve been like one of the women at the club when he was trying to find a women, or like some rando person in New York. She couldn’t have played one of the rose bearers, or the bathers, or the woman they tried to make him marry in the beginning… This wouldn’t even be a big deal if it wasn’t the Lisa role.