Lil Wayne calls Andre 3000's remarks about rapping over 40 "depressing"

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
Dre should go the conceptual route and just make an art piece like Ghostface did with 12 Reasons To Die

then you just making an audio movie and your creative license is expanded

maybe your everyday life is boring and inspiring...get creative and make some shyt up:manny:

Daps
Slightly. They still revert back to the same ol stuff. Even still, I think Nas been making his best work with King's Disease and Magic series. Nas and Jay always had different subject matter than Dre. It's not a knock against them, I don't think.
Listen to Dre's lyrics from Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik to Stankonia. That is arguably Dre at his best and most raw. After the fame from Stankonia we get The Love Below because he wasn't in that environment that birthed and molded early Dre. Even with the features he been on over the years don't touch early Dre.
This is me just guessing, but I think Dre needs to have something that pushes him to write a rap as opposed to vibing off a beat and growing a song from there like Big Boi.
Dre turning his difficulties of writing raps into making an album with him playing a flute is a sign of him still being a creative. Creatives tend to evolve. People want Ye to make College Dropout era music but being a creative he couldn't go backwards
Yea I agree with most of what you saying I just dont like the “nothing to talk about” excuse. It’s just a lazy way to say you dont value rapping anymore. If you still traveling the world meeting new people then you got something to talk about imo

Daps
Creativity is ageless.

Hip-hop as an art form is not limited by age. It's limited by creativity.

At one point in time hip-hop was specifically led by the youth, in the 80s. But those youths grew up. Should they all just move on from the genre they created?

Hip-hop as a commercial product just like all forms of music is still largely skewed towards the youth. Other genres are just as much youth orientated as hip-hop. And that's fine.

But every genre also has legacy acts. Mick Jagger and Metallica can still release music but they aren't dominating the charts. But the commercial viability of music and the creative artistry are not the same thing. Chasing trends and trying to appeal to the youth will always be seen as corny, but creativity and genuine artistry isn't corny at all

Andre could release hip-hop if he were artistically inclined. The disappointing thing about his comment is that he is falling into the same mentality that views hip-hop merely as a commercial product and not as a creative artform, even though he was always held up as a standard for creativity within hip-hop.
Exactly my point

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I didn't read the rest of this thread, but everybody acting like he owes y'all something...will go even harder about how big of a let down it is.

Before the album dropped, he did interviews saying he doesn't want to force what isn't right, and there's no pleasing everybody.

I'm paraphrasing, and not imagining statements to make a point.

Even so, everything I read or heard regarding Andre 2k..and rap recently, that is how I hear him.

Y'all are like dudes on Reddit who swear they will never watch aew again because they convinced themselves, cm punk being very publicly fired is somehow "the devil" in their biggest storyline right now...

And he's on WWE now...

Let that man get his flaut on.

No, most people just want this weirdo nikka to shut up. If you don't want to rap anymore, fine but don't go around every chance you get implying that rappers shouldn't rap after a certain age and you're ashamed of it. Just shut up and go live in Malaysia and play your flutes til your hearts content. Stop disrespecting the culture with your fukkboy views on rappers age.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It makes sense to me. Andre was never a spit-about-ducktales type of guy. His lyrics always had some slice of life or personal relevance to them.

I'm not knocking the guys who are still rapping about street shyt 30 years later but he's clearly not that guy

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Dre should go the conceptual route and just make an art piece like Ghostface did with 12 Reasons To Die

then you just making an audio movie and your creative license is expanded

maybe your everyday life is boring and inspiring...get creative and make some shyt up:manny:

Dre has never been THAT type of artist though. I’d say the closest he’s ever come to doing what you suggest is, ironically enough, The Love Below. Which was supposed to be concept album about a one night stand that turns into true love before he abandoned that concept and turned it into the sonic canvas for what became Idelwild. And even that was more singing than rapping so we would just be right back at square one.

I think we need to face and accept the fact that Andre isn’t an MC on the creative level of Nas or Ghostface Killah. Those are artists who not only continually to challenge themselves with their writing but are also finding new ways to be inspired TO write. In another life where they weren’t regulated to living in the hood and attending subpar schools Ghost and Nas could have been screenwriters or poets or really excel at any medium that involves creative writing. Andre doesn’t have an Undying Love or Maxine in him.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea I agree with most of what you saying I just dont like the “nothing to talk about” excuse. It’s just a lazy way to say you dont value rapping anymore. If you still traveling the world meeting new people then you got something to talk about imo
You are expecting him to be something he isn't. He isn't a rapper that just raps about anything and makes up stories like a Nas. He doesn't find his current life interesting enough to rap about. At best you'll get another The Love Below but probably slower. Currently, he passion is playing the flute

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No, most people just want this weirdo nikka to shut up. If you don't want to rap anymore, fine but don't go around every chance you get implying that rappers shouldn't rap after a certain age and you're ashamed of it. Just shut up and go live in Malaysia and play your flutes til your hearts content. Stop disrespecting the culture with your fukkboy views on rappers age.
But he didn't.

Daps
You are expecting him to be something he isn't. He isn't a rapper that just raps about anything and makes up stories like a Nas. He doesn't find his current life interesting enough to rap about. At best you'll get another The Love Below but probably slower. Currently, he passion is playing the flute
Im not tho. Im expecting him to be creative just like he’s always been. I mention rap album cause most people want that from him but I would be cool with a love below and im sure a lot wouldnt mind that either. Dude could even create his own new genre if he wanted to

But saying the most creative rapper ever has nothing to rap about is lazy to me he just values his flute more than rapping

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im not tho. Im expecting him to be creative just like he’s always been. I mention rap album cause most people want that from him but I would be cool with a love below and im sure a lot wouldnt mind that either. Dude could even create his own new genre if he wanted to

But saying the most creative rapper ever has nothing to rap about is lazy to me he just values his flute more than rapping
I think Andre knows his own strengths and weaknesses better than people online. He even mentioned that Big Boi was the better rapper years, and after just giving their OutKast discography over the weekend, I have to agree.

Out of the Dungeon Family, I would put Cee-Lo over Dre as the best lyricist. That is no shade to Dre because he is great and all his verses were on point but labeling him as the GOAT after a couple of features (was it Walk it Out remix that started that talk?) was overblown, imo.

Why do you feel his creativity be stagnant to only rap? Some creative types stay in their preferred art, and others progress out of it to something else. That is how creatives operate. Just because they move to something else doesn't mean they no longer care about their previous art. It's just that the previous art isn't stimulating like whatever they moved on to.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Wayne is right though.

True lyricism doesn't have an age limit. You got dudes like Nas, Common, Black Thought, Cube, Redman, LL, Wu, Monch, Hiero, AZ, and mad others still cooking up projects and loving the feel of just creating. He's trying to act like he's outgrown the culture, and that's the problem with how he's positioned it. He told Rick Rubin himself a few years ago, that he doesn't know how he would approach a solo and that he's nervous to be out there alone now. He said the thought of it makes him anxious. So that's what it's about. Don’t try to cop out with the "I'm too old to rap" bullsh*t. That was corny. Dude has done a million features over the past few years, but he doesn't want the light to be on him. OutKast was some behemoth sh*t. It can't be topped by a 3000 solo. He knows that, but he's saying reckless sh*t to cover it up.

He would've been better off just saying he doesn't have the love for it anymore. That's cool. But when you start with the ageism sh*t, you make it harder for the other legends who are still feeding the culture with good music because they just love doing what they do. Hov is damn near 60 in a few years, billionaire, everything, and he's still working on music. 1/2 of the best artists out now, are from the 90's, or around the same age as Dre. So his whole thing right now with the "I'm too old" excuse, is bullsh*t.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dre has never been THAT type of artist though. I’d say the closest he’s ever come to doing what you suggest is, ironically enough, The Love Below. Which was supposed to be concept album about a one night stand that turns into true love before he abandoned that concept and turned it into the sonic canvas for what became Idelwild. And even that was more singing than rapping so we would just be right back at square one.

I think we need to face and accept the fact that Andre isn’t an MC on the creative level of Nas or Ghostface Killah. Those are artists who not only continually to challenge themselves with their writing but are also finding new ways to be inspired TO write. In another life where they weren’t regulated to living in the hood and attending subpar schools Ghost and Nas could have been screenwriters or poets or really excel at any medium that involves creative writing. Andre doesn’t have an Undying Love or Maxine in him.

The difference between them isn't creativity. Nas and Ghostface have solo careers. Andre 3000 does not. When he became a "solo artist", he was in his 30's after 6 albums of being in a duo.

Andre 3000 definitely could pen something like "Undying Love". His verses on "Da Art of Storytellin Pt. 1", "Da Art of Storytellkn Pt. 2", "Spottieottiedopalicious" and "Da Art of Storytellin Pt. 4" prove that.

He's just never been a solo artist and was propelled into GOAT status because of his output as 1/2 of a legendary duo, mystique, and his guest verses.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Funny Killer Mike and Nas are Grammy nominated for having things to talk about.

And they’ve been saying things, Andre has barely said anything for 20 years. I guess this has been repeated through the thread.

Now if you have nothing to say, you shouldn’t force yourself unless you financially must do it or you just love doing it :yeshrug:

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
He just minds his business and responds only when people ask him for the millionth time, "Where's the rap album at?" :dahell:

Dude said nothing disrespectful towards rap. Just that he doesn't think people wanna hear about his day-to-day life as a forty year old on a rap album.

Guarantee if he dropped an album doing just that, the same people in here dissing him now would still be dissing. Saying, "This shyt boring af. Nobody wanna hear this larry holmes shyt" *cuts on griselda* :unimpressed: