Lil Wayne calls Andre 3000's remarks about rapping over 40 "depressing"

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Creativity is ageless.

Hip-hop as an art form is not limited by age. It's limited by creativity.

At one point in time hip-hop was specifically led by the youth, in the 80s. But those youths grew up. Should they all just move on from the genre they created?

Hip-hop as a commercial product just like all forms of music is still largely skewed towards the youth. Other genres are just as much youth orientated as hip-hop. And that's fine.

But every genre also has legacy acts. Mick Jagger and Metallica can still release music but they aren't dominating the charts. But the commercial viability of music and the creative artistry are not the same thing. Chasing trends and trying to appeal to the youth will always be seen as corny, but creativity and genuine artistry isn't corny at all

Andre could release hip-hop if he were artistically inclined. The disappointing thing about his comment is that he is falling into the same mentality that views hip-hop merely as a commercial product and not as a creative artform, even though he was always held up as a standard for creativity within hip-hop.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Creativity is ageless.

Hip-hop as an art form is not limited by age. It's limited by creativity.

At one point in time hip-hop was specifically led by the youth, in the 80s. But those youths grew up. Should they all just move on from the genre they created?

Hip-hop as a commercial product just like all forms of music is still largely skewed towards the youth. Other genres are just as much youth orientated as hip-hop. And that's fine.

But every genre also has legacy acts. Mick Jagger and Metallica can still release music but they aren't dominating the charts. But the commercial viability of music and the creative artistry are not the same thing. Chasing trends and trying to appeal to the youth will always be seen as corny, but creativity and genuine artistry isn't corny at all

Andre could release hip-hop if he were artistically inclined. The disappointing thing about his comment is that he is falling into the same mentality that views hip-hop merely as a commercial product and not as a creative artform, even though he was always held up as a standard for creativity within hip-hop.
It’s a fukkin excuse and a lazy one at that. More people should be annoyed with those comments but since it’s him it’s all good.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas & hov content hasnt matured? And 3k is a creative genius I aint rocking with that “mundane” excuse he could talk about anything and make it interesting. To me he basically saying he dont see the value in doing a rap album which I understand the game too watered down now but if nas can still win grammys then 3k def can
Slightly. They still revert back to the same ol stuff. Even still, I think Nas been making his best work with King's Disease and Magic series. Nas and Jay always had different subject matter than Dre. It's not a knock against them, I don't think.
Listen to Dre's lyrics from Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik to Stankonia. That is arguably Dre at his best and most raw. After the fame from Stankonia we get The Love Below because he wasn't in that environment that birthed and molded early Dre. Even with the features he been on over the years don't touch early Dre.
This is me just guessing, but I think Dre needs to have something that pushes him to write a rap as opposed to vibing off a beat and growing a song from there like Big Boi.
Dre turning his difficulties of writing raps into making an album with him playing a flute is a sign of him still being a creative. Creatives tend to evolve. People want Ye to make College Dropout era music but being a creative he couldn't go backwards

ThaPrez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tyga got a pod now?

WTF man how many nikkas on this wave :dead:
that's content that is gonna get viewed these days

it's way easier to get 1 million people to watch him talking to wayne or another big rapper friend than to make 1 million people give a fukk about his tired ass music these days

it's the smart move

the interview as a whole will do numbers
then segments will also move on tik tok, ig, youtube

easier to get a bag on tens of millions of impressions and do brand deals off the back of it than almost anything else he can do

Daps
That stuff makes up the lion's share of his material? And no, I'm not moving any goal posts before you try that move because I just made that point in my last response to someone else. A couple bars thrown in per song, and 3 records on a full length album don't justify being examples to discredit Andre.

If you have to ask why hip-hop feels/is restricted by age, I don't know what to tell you. You know the answer. You need to ask why the majority of 40+ rappers still talk about the things that relevant to them at 25.

If you think we don't like rap on this site, why are you here?

Your shining moment :russ:

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
people been complaining for 21 years about him not caring about making more albums
you cant blame him for his own personal opinion and compare him to how someone else feels

you cant take a lowkey dude who wants to garden and go thrift shopping while playing flute and ask him to think deeply or construct an album thats groundbreaking or revolutionary. I dont see how its a hard concept to understand when he says the same shyt everytime. You wouldnt want Public Enemy to be in yoga class and working in a library... then try to record "Nation Of Millions"

what Andre wants and does, isnt conducive to being utilized to record an album that would be classic
somehow (showing how dumb fans are) people all mislabeled and destroyed the flute album he put out
none of that shyt was made to be overthought or labeled... it was just an ambient jazz album to play if you wanted. The majority of jazz fans arent reading the backnotes on "Sketches of Spain" and overanalyzing every detail ... its just jazz, you put it on and do other shyt or drink.

Daps
Reppin
Mile High
I didn't read the rest of this thread, but everybody acting like he owes y'all something...will go even harder about how big of a let down it is.

Before the album dropped, he did interviews saying he doesn't want to force what isn't right, and there's no pleasing everybody.

I'm paraphrasing, and not imagining statements to make a point.

Even so, everything I read or heard regarding Andre 2k..and rap recently, that is how I hear him.

Y'all are like dudes on Reddit who swear they will never watch aew again because they convinced themselves, cm punk being very publicly fired is somehow "the devil" in their biggest storyline right now...

And he's on WWE now...

Let that man get his flaut on.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I agree that Nas is showing and proving. Nas is one of one though. There's artists like Eminem that even said "the fire expires at 30" and had Eminem stopped making albums at 30, his discography would probably be in better standing than it is. His albums got increasingly worse with each drop. Relapse and Music To Be Murdered By are the only good albums he's dropped in a decade and some change.

I'll stick up for Kamikaze, but you're right. The first album Eminem made after he turned thirty was........Encore. :francis:

But at the same time, guys like Eminem can't keep themselves away from this thing. It's what makes them feel alive, it gives them a purpose in life. A lot of why Eminem wanted to retire early was because of how much his personal life was on display. He was the king of controversy, and his Slim Shady persona was starting to turn into a self-parody the way he saw it. This was the complete opposite of who he was in real life, a humble, shy, slightly awkward guy who doesn't give a lot away. That's why he toned down the shock humor on The Eminem Show. He wanted to prove that he was a legitimate artist and songwriter.

I think after he overdosed and got sober, he realized how much he needed rap in his life and that his story wasn't over yet. Plus, he was inspired by guys like Wayne and Kanye because in his mind, they were the ones keeping the game going. All of this would be great if the music didn't decline over time, but this is the same guy who said that he would rather be the best rapper than make the best albums. We know what his priorities are (although, you could argue that from a pure rapping standpoint, he doesn't have much to talk about anymore beyond dad jokes and how good he is at the flippity hibbity dibbity hip hop).

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Tyga got a pod now?

WTF man how many nikkas on this wave :dead:

Tyga lowkey a savvy business man, he knows how to get a bag and keep bread rolling in :ehh:

Wayne the goat vanity label head, still fukking with his artists in major ways all the time :ehh:

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Young people always make fun of old people as though they won’t eventually become old as well. It is what it is. Not sure why we hold that type of stuff against anybody, we ALL said some shyt about what we would do when we were XX age only for us to feel differently when we get to the age.