Let's Talk About the Religious Right UPDATE 11/7/2020 - VINDICATION!!!

Daps

I don't understand why she would stay after what you just described happens at that church.

I had a family friend that took me to their mega church in highschool and they had a 30 year old negus who was in some pastor/minister role. He was a good guy but whenever he took the stage to preach tho :mjgrin: he put on this fake accent and liked to tell stories "from his hood" days in front of his 98% white congregation. But one on one he didn't do any of that talk. It was like a split personality issue or something.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I don't understand why she would stay after what you just described happens at that church.

I had a family friend that took me to their mega church in highschool and they had a 30 year old negus who was in some pastor/minister role. He was a good guy but whenever he took the stage to preach tho :mjgrin: he put on this fake accent and liked to tell stories "from his hood" days in front of his 98% white congregation. But one on one he didn't do any of that talk. It was like a split personality issue or something.
:picard:That's crazy.

Never felt like I had to do that. I usually didn't reference where I was from or how I grew up.

Last edited:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
i've never been an adult member of a church. shyt my parents are jamaican so of course i had to go to church as a youngster, but i stopped going regularly once i started college. now i just go for weddings, funerals and christenings. but my parents weren't full suckers either, we stopped going to one church cause the pastor bragged about how god blessed him with a new luxury car. my dad kissed his teeth and grumbled some shyt about how our tithes did that and that was the end of that chapter. so i couldn't imagine him staying a member of a church where people disregarded the plight of black folks. to tell you the truth we never really attended a church that wasn't a black church. it's suppose to be one religion, but i don't see white people interpreting it the same way black folks do. it's one big hustle to make black folks pliable.

The most segregated time of the week is Sunday morning. :wow:

In my experience, evangelicals use the fact that many black churchgoers lean left to disparage black churches. Even if they believe the same things doctrinally.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The most segregated time of the week is Sunday morning. :wow:

In my experience, evangelicals use the fact that many black churchgoers lean left to disparage black churches. Even if they believe the same things doctrinally.

How do people not realize that Evangelical Christian Churches are racist? That is where the Knights Party of the Ku Klux Klan was formed. The KKK is an Evangelical Christian Organization.

The Ku Klux Klan The Ku Klux Klan is composed entirely of white, Anglo-saxon, Christian American citizens, both male a
KKK Leader: 'We're a Christian Organization;' Claims the Klan Is Not a Hate Group

Where have people been living not to know the roots of the White Evangelical Churches? White Evangelical Christian Churches were against the Civil Rights movement and they hated Dr. King. Evangelicals also despised the Catholic and Jewish Clergy that sided with Black people during the Civil Rights era.

A Conversation with Four Historians on the Response of White Evangelicals to the Civil Rights Movement
The Real Origins of the Religious Right
Christian right - Wikipedia
Jim Crow, Civil Rights, and Southern White Evangelicals: A Historians Forum (Carolyn Dupont)

Don't be fooled by these Evangelical clowns. They are still as hateful as ever which is why they voted with Trump and they despise African Americans, Mexicans and Muslims.

Last edited:

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Interesting thread. I'm not religious at all but these types of topics always pull me in. Leaving a church like that is a huge step and hopefully your views continue to evolve.

If you don't mind me asking, whats the racial makeup of your church?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm deeply religious (wasn't as a child, converted in college), but stories like this make perfect sense to me.

Whenever the church is seen as a place where power can be accessed, then people who wish to use power in an evil way will attempt to use the church to their bidding. They do the same with any institution, from governments to entertainment to corporations to educational institutions. If it is on Earth and has power, evil people who want power will work to manipulate it.

This particular iteration of "religious right" do to evil started in the 1970s, but there's been plenty others before at various stages of history.

It doesn't mean that there aren't lots of good churches. And it doesn't mean that some churches aren't mixed bags - I know you can't say this on the internet, but not everything is black and white. Personally, I desire to associate with churches with integrity, and I have found many of them.

The antidotes are integrity, compassion, a rejection of tribalism, and a constant questioning of your own assumptions in order to better align them with faith in the true God. Be willing to speak out for the truth even when it costs you. Be willing to disagree with your associates and agree with your enemy when your enemy is telling the truth. Always act in compassion, even towards the "other." And be willing to admit when your own people are wrong. Be willing to do any and all of those things even if it might cause you to lose power.

If Christians don't show the way on that shyt, who will?

The reason that the culture wars have gotten so intractable is because of extreme partisanship. We can't even have a discussion about shyt anymore because the sides are already set in stone before discussion even begins. Faithful Christians of every type need to lead the way on, "I don't worship my political party, I don't worship my nation, I don't worship my racial identity, I only worship the God of Jesus Christ and HIS truth." If you believe that God is on "your party's" side or "your nation's" side or "your race's" side, then your enemy will just harden their own claims to the same thing, and it all becomes intractable quickly.

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
abortion is murder and should be rare
Abortion is murder.......................................................................

........................................................................ And should be rare.

1. So under what exact circumstances would you allow abortion?
  2. And since murder should be rare, under what exact circumstances would you permit murder?

:patrice:

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Well said. My church experiences left me agnostic. So as a minister I can only imagine how rough it was for you.

I have found the church is more about control and power than Christian values. Unfortunately people are brainwashed into believing the word of the ministers is the unquestioned truth and they can't bring themselves to accept reality. It's like being stuck in the matrix.
Same here. I grew up Baptist and as I grew older/did researching it didn't line up. Hell, my grandmother's church had pictures of a White Jesus :snoop: Maybe i'll find religion in the future, but now I'm abstaining from it.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I see y'all trying to start something this morning :leostare:

:patrice:Cracked, breh?

And what's your take on the fact that business leaders abandoned the Trump administration en masse after he caped for Nazis but his evangelical leadership council remains almost wholly intact?:sas1:

Yep. The article fell through, so nothing happening there. :kanyebp:

As to Trump's Nazi-caping, I'm just as dumbfounded as anyone else as to why any so-called "Christian" would stick around that administration.

No one sees the hypocrisy of evangelicals supporting Trump as much as I do. It's utterly insane. :snoop:

To be honest, I do understand the mindset. :francis:

Fear is a powerful motivator, and there's no fear like risking the disapproval of God. If you believe that God takes a certain position on an issue, you'll try to find every justification you can to reconcile God's "will" with reality, even bending both reality and Scripture to do so.

It took me a long time to realize that on certain topics, I wasn't rejecting God--I was rejecting people's opinions of God. When my former pastor tried to tell me his thoughts about policing in St. Louis--and used them to explain what God thought about the situation--it hit me like a freight train.

Among other ridiculous claims, he believed that the racial demographics of jails, prisons, and ticketed individuals were proportionate to the racial demographics in their corresponding areas, i.e. if Ferguson is 40% black, then the number of people in Ferguson's jail or in court for traffic tickets should be roughly 40% :dead:

I've been in Ferguson Municipal Jail and in Ferguson Municipal court several times; you can usually count the number of white people there on one hand. :deadrose:

To believe what God's supposed "opinion" on this issue, I had to believe his version of reality in regards to policing. My base of experience alone told me what he was saying wasn't true.

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

I've said before that I'm not a Democrat. :kanyebp:

Abortion is murder.......................................................................

........................................................................ And should be rare.

1. So under what exact circumstances would you allow abortion?
  2. And since murder should be rare, under what exact circumstances would you permit murder?

:patrice:

I believe on-demand abortions are immoral. It promotes a certain level of irresponsibility. If you can't afford a child, you shouldn't be having unprotected sex. :bpufedup:

I do, however, understand the argument of legal abortions being a stop-gap against back-alley coat-hanger abortions. :ld:
I also believe that if a woman gets pregnant as a result of rape, it should be up to her whether she wants to keep the child or not. :ld:

All things considered, I think that every conceived child should be given a chance to live.

I'm just against the idea of abortions as a crutch for behavioral problems. If you're sleeping around and get pregnant, it's not anyone's fault but yours.

Sex makes babies. :kanyebp:

Last edited: