Let’s talk about the current video game landscape

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
Who cares just play the games you enjoy on the platform of your choice. Some of y’all are way to invested in video games

Sir, do you have anything relevant to add to the discussion?
Nobody in here is stressing, this is a thread about the shift in the way people discuss video games amongst each other today vs. back in the day.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I think a lot of these complaints come down to how society is in general. Social media has given everyone a platform to talk shyt and spread misinformation like no other. Plus everyone's tryna get attention or go viral by saying outlandish contrarian shyt or making fun of something else. Most political and sports discussions on the internet look the same as the Arcadium really

The back and forth banter is fun to a degree but I do think it's whack that people try to hate on games they've never played solely because its on another platform. I play on Xbox these days but you will never see me in a PS5 game thread talking shyt just because. You will see posters on here repeatedly reply in threads for game they'll never play just trying to find a way to talk down to strangers. If you are a true fan of video games, why would you want any big AAA title to fail? Many people simply use video game banter as an avenue to act like an a$$hole to strangers, rather than to actually discuss games objectively on some fan shyt

There are also a lot of what I call hypebeast gamers who just buy games on release on some FOMO shyt but never actually play through them like that. Mf's just have an infinite backlog that never gets shortened and only continues to grow. Bro that shyt is not a backlog if you never actually get through playing the games:skip:. Yall just buying games in the heat of the moment so you can be the in-crowd for 2-3 weeks just to set that shyt to the side for the next game that comes out. Mf's will buy 8-9 full priced games in a year and only really play like 2 of them. At that point it's not a backlog its a bunch of games you bought and weren't really feeling like that :hubie:

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
I entertain myself by trolling Sony stans. My little :mjlol: smilies ain’t doing nothing.

As far as your overarching point. I agree. Lots of video game discourse is about fighting over nonsense, and generally very negative despite the medium being at its biggest and best right now.

Most video games media are just stans with a platform. They get clicks by speaking to stans. Don’t bother me though, I still get to play what I like to play and laugh at the stans feverishly fighting for their piece of plastic. :ahh:

I dunno. It seems like we as gamers are paying more for less.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I dunno. It seems like we as gamers are paying more for less.
But we are not all. Game prices have not increased in decades.

Games were $60 in 2002 same as they are now 20 years latter. While literally ever other consumer product has gone up in price over that time.

On top of that Games are now expected to have ongoing support. You pay that $60 and can expect to play that game for much longer than you would have a game 20 years ago.

Games in general cost more to make, take more man power to make, and offer more content than they did in the past all for the same price.

And that’s without even talking about free to play games and discount services like Gamepass.

As a kid I’d be happy to get like 3 new games a year.

My kids literally got $300+ games at their fingertips and it don’t cost me much to provide them.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@The Wolf Among You

I never got into the "wars".

I don't take it for granted that I always had access to game systems. We had nes, I remember getting snes, and 64, I picked up a genesis on my own, was bought a PlayStation. Even had gameboy (og) then gameboy pocket, gameboy color....

Whether they were bought or gifted by family or I traded with friends, gaming was just a part of what I did. And having friends with different tastes allowed me to play different games.

The wars are fun, I guess, if you really have a favorite, but really cats don't have to or are forced to choose. It's a pain in the ass, but gamers play games.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Let me get some stuff out of the way before I get serious.

Most of the people in here that trolls Sony here, trolls the stans. We mostly own playstation consoles too AND, emphasis on AND, buy the games too. Stanning without skin in the game is lame as hell. I believe that the only. Sony game of recent note that I went in to troll, because of the difficulty was Returnal while also offering that it looks well made and when they get a save system in place, I'll buy it, which I did.

Now, being serious, capitalism does not bother me. Consolidation in the industry does not bother me, to an extent. When it comes to individual games, they will stand on their own merits. So, nothing against Naughty Dog, Santa Monica or even EAD or Intelligent Systems for that matter. My enthusiasm or loyalty will reside with who I believe has the capacity to push gaming the furthest, which I currently believe is Microsoft. To say that does not mean that I believe that Sony has done poorly, they have run their business in a top shelf condition for almost the entire time they've been in gaming. With what they do, they do it extremely well.

Where we critique Sony and should be allowed to do so is that there is a comfort space where current Sony likes to reside in as far as games, save for Gran Turismo. I'm excluding Nintendo from this part of the discussion explicitly but my thoughts are the same in relation to them.

I don't necessarily buy into all this metaverse stuff yet. I'll be one of the last people alive that gets Gamepass but that doesn't mean that I turn a blind eye to everything going on. It simply comes down to resources with me. Microsoft's push into different genres also let's third parties know that there is a market for different genres on a platform. A rising tide lifts all boats. An Age of Empires IV tells the Crusader Kings 3 people that it's OK to rock with Gamepass because Microsoft had a market there already in strategy games. So for me to say that I believe Sony's focus in games made is quality but too narrow for my tastes is my opinion but I don't think I'm the only one that shares it as it isn't a reach to say. Unless someone is just blatantly trolling we should be able to discuss preceived shortcomings of any platform with gotchas or feelings being hurt. Also, jokes are still good once in a while. While we all may be on different sides or whatever I still like conversing with everyone.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
But we are not all. Game prices have not increased in decades.
This is because the business model changed and you're still looking at it from that old model. What you call the price of a game is the entry price for many. The gaming companies make far more off the transactions past that price than they do selling you a game.

Go look at any of these companies financial statements and see how they make money. For the most part the only companies really making single player games with no DLC or other micro transactions are companies that use those to sell hardware on Indie developers.

Look at what NBA 2K was 20 years ago and look at it today. That's the transformation of how business was done.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This is because the business model changed and you're still looking at it from that old model. What you call the price of a game is the entry price for many. The gaming companies make far more off the transactions past that price than they do selling you a game.

Go look at any of these companies financial statements and see how they make money. For the most part the only companies really making single player games with no DLC or other micro transactions are companies that use those to sell hardware on Indie developers.

Look at what NBA 2K was 20 years ago and look at it today. That's the transformation of how business was done.
Still results in gaming being cheaper overall. Adjusted for inflation $60 today is closer to $30 20 years ago, so even if you spend some extra money on player packs/updates or whatever you are still spending less than you would have back then, and you are getting more content.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Still results in gaming being cheaper overall. Adjusted for inflation $60 today is closer to $30 20 years ago, so even if you spend some extra money on player packs/updates or whatever you are still spending less than you would have back then, and you are getting more content.

Keep tellin cats they are getting way more value today than what we got back then even with the bullshyt.

Games were 60 bucks standard for 15 years

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
Keep tellin cats they are getting way more value today than what we got back then even with the bullshyt.

Games were 60 bucks standard for 15 years

I don’t think developers get enough credit for the amount of work they put in, increasing demand for cutting-edge visuals, bad pay, crunch culture, insane dev turnover rates, decreasing public value of their work, constant scrutiny and workplace fukkery.
I also don’t think most of the modern day video game models are necessarily bad, when they’re implemented well they can be of great value.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don’t think developers get enough credit for the amount of work they put in, increasing demand for cutting-edge visuals, bad pay, crunch culture, insane dev turnover rates, decreasing public value of their work, constant scrutiny and workplace fukkery.
I also don’t think most of the modern day video game models are necessarily bad, when they’re implemented well they can be of great value.
I was just thinking about this recently. Imagine spends months if not years of your life on something only for it to release and get a 5 or 6 or better yet be a really good solid 7 but get the hate of a of 5.

Has to be depressing and as a dev you have to get tired of that at some point.

It's part of the reason I'm pro gamepass (yes I'm mentioning gamepass), assuming they get to keep there artist freedom make the games they want and don't have to bend over backwards to publishers demands I'm all for more indie and 1st party studio just releasing something they are excited about that doesn't have to necessarily touch on current trends.