Let’s just end this debate right now, Kobe Bryant dominated Tim Duncan’s teams in the playoffs. Like, consistently, every single time.

Coli Hoecomb

Trollin' in my 64'
Daps
Reppin
East Coast All Stars
I agree. He’s top 10 obviously. But yall blow that shyt up to make excuses for the fact he never repeated and load managed half his career.

Kobe was also a consistent 2 way player especially in the playoff and especially during the 3 peat era his defense was crazy. Kobe was a leader. Kobe brought Phil back right after Phil published a book shytting on him, showing he put winning above his own ego.

Efficiency….Kobes TS% is right there with TDs bro. Kobe was taking way more threes. Also, TD shot like ass in the 05 Finals and got a complete pass for it while Kobe’s bad shooting games are over analyzed. Kobe going 6-24 in 2010 G7 is no different than TD going 5-19 in G7 of the 05 Finals. Actually it is different cuz TD was shooting closer to the basket.
When I mentioned efficiency I was speaking more on Kobe’s turnovers and questionable shot selection overall. Aside from 3s Duncan didn’t shoot that much closer to the basket. He shot as much from mid range (signature bank shot) as Kobe got lay ups and dunks. We can always cherry pick individual games. I will admit I didn’t think to factor in the more advanced stats like TS %. You definitely make a solid argument for Kobe tho. Can’t deny his greatness. We just differ in perspective .

Last edited:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Shaq without Kobe - eh

Kobe without Shaq - incredible

Shaq was one of the best players in the NBA for 7 seasons before Kobe became a really good player in 99/00. He was an elite player as a rookie. And was MVP runner after he left LA and went to Miami.

Stans really trying to rewrite history and say that the 3peat Lakers weren't Shaqs team? :gucci:

It was Shaq’s team, but people go too far each way to praise/criticize Kobe.

He wasn’t just another good perimeter player, he became an elite player by the 00/01 season. And the Lakers very nearly got eliminated in 00’ and 02’, so it’s not like he was easily replaceable with another good player and they still win.

Absolutely. Literally just told this same shyt to my guy at work. Kobe would’ve easily won those western conference MVP’s & left Shaq to get the finals which would’ve made this talkin point irrelevant.

I don’t think Kobe gets it in 00’ or 02’, but definitely in 01’. The two game stretch of the 01’ WCSF to finish off Sacramento and game 1 in the WCF against San Antonio were two of the best games he ever played.

The one against the Spurs is my favorite Kobe game to watch.

Last edited:

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Never won back to back can’t be a dynasty like that. :yeshrug:

Not only that he only made it to back to back finals once. Kobe got to 3 straight finals twice, and 4 in 5 years from 2000-2004. Kobe was on teams that really had the West on lock for pockets of time.

TD and the Spurs was the ultimate long term “team”…like Kobe even said he was jealous of the fact the Spurs stayed together and kept running it back. CP3 trade getting nixed and Pau/LO not being the same after really bothered Kobe like damn the Spurs never went thru that kinda shyt. Manu and TP were never really on the trade block were they?

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
At the end of the day I rank Duncan higher because he is the undisputed GOAT at his position, a position which historically is stacked with talent to choose from and Duncan had two other ATG PF's he had to play against and be better than at the same time he did. The only other two guard who played the game at any part of Kobe's prime who I would consider on that level is D. Wade and he is clearly a generation after Kobe, McGrady and Vince Carter could ball but they weren't on that level to me. Duncan had to go against KG and Dirk, and also young Amare who was also a beast in his own right as well and he had to match up against Shaq and made a good account for himself in those matchups as well.

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
At the end of the day I rank Duncan higher because he is the undisputed GOAT at his position, a position which historically is stacked with talent to choose from and Duncan had two other ATG PF's he had to play against and be better than at the same time he did. The only other two guard who played the game at any part of Kobe's prime who I would consider on that level is D. Wade and he is clearly a generation after Kobe, McGrady and Vince Carter could ball but they weren't on that level to me. Duncan had to go against KG and Dirk, and also young Amare who was also a beast in his own right as well and he had to match up against Shaq and made a good account for himself in those matchups as well.
Fully agree, duncan is the best player ever in his position , duncan was the best player in 3 NBA finals and was the best player in the leauge for several years, was also a better defender, he came out the draft and withing one year was first team all NBA and dominant and matched up against the best of the best like KG, dirk etc , this shouldnt be close at all, its timmy. Without shaq those laker teams would never have won 3 rings or repeated, that was his team.

VegetasHairline

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
CACS
Fully agree, duncan is the best player ever in his position , duncan was the best player in 3 NBA finals and was the best player in the leauge for several years, was also a better defender, he came out the draft and withing one year was first team all NBA and dominant and matched up against the best of the best like KG, dirk etc , this shouldnt be close at all, its timmy. Without shaq those laker teams would never have won 3 rings or repeated, that was his team.
Go home Roger! Be quiet! You made a thread admitting you never watched Tim Duncan play!
:camby: