Lets be real, does the current social Climate make you look at your parents as being weak?

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
My parents don't even care. They don't think aboout white folks or white supremacy what so ever. My moms co own a hair braiding shop/salon in Oakland so she doesn't really deal with white people all that often. I wouldn't say she's militant though. My pops is all about his own. As long as it benefits him, he'll deal with who ever. He's not a soft shoe though. He would cuss anyone out. My uncle other the other hand, that dude is as black/african militant as can be. He won't even watch a show unless there's atleast 3 black people in it. When him and his 2nd wife divorced, he went back to Africa to find himself a black non deluded "African Queen". I remember one time we were watching the Super Bowl half time performance with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, "the incident" didn't even happen yet and he was already complaining about how they made her share the stage with the "greculu"sp(kpele for white person). Then when it happened, dude was seething.:mad: And I was :mjlol: in my head.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Nah they weren't weak. I'm older than a lot of y'all so my perspective might be different. They were the kids of that WW2 generation that dealt with blatant racism and Jim Crow. nikkas getting lynched for damn near nothing. They were done with that shyt when they saw Emmett Till. A lot of change came from that baby boom generation but I think they got comfortable. Plus you had the influx of drugs and AIDS in the community which crippled us. I don't think they were weak but progress has to start somewhere. We need to pick the ball back up. My parents were basically Panthers so they put in their work

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Dad is a straight c00n.
Moms is indifferent. :yeshrug:
I noticed most black men of our parents gen that arent junkies or drunks tend to be "conservatives". My whole think with some old folks they didnt even need to be "pro black", at least be pro ownership and building something, lot of older people pushed the "good job" and move to a white neighborhood dream to their kids.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Nah they weren't weak. I'm older than a lot of y'all so my perspective might be different. They were the kids of that WW2 generation that dealt with blatant racism and Jim Crow. nikkas getting lynched for damn near nothing. They were done with that shyt when they saw Emmett Till. A lot of change came from that baby boom generation but I think they got comfortable. Plus you had the influx of drugs and AIDS in the community which crippled us. I don't think they were weak but progress has to start somewhere. We need to pick the ball back up. My parents were basically Panthers so they put in their work

I think those that were in their 20s in the 70s were the closest thing to who we are right now but drugs being funneled into the hoods destroyed all of it leaving you to either become a junkie or bounce to the burbs and not build

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
No.
Maybe you should stop being so extreme and try to find a middle ground with them.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone especially and older black person discarding with the destruction in Baltimore.
My great grandmother made me watch black history specials on tv growing up, had me reading a black history encyclopedia since elementary school, and was never afraid to talk about racism with me and when she watches the news would call it out in politics and such but she'd probably be called a c00n by people on thecoli because she has close white friends, isn't homo/transphobic, doesn't hate interracial relationships, and when she saw the news simply said that's awful when she hears about all the stuff being destroyed and people assaulted even though she did the same when she heard about the police brutality.
Just accept a generational gap or try to see how they think and don't be so judgmental.

Daps
I noticed most black men of our parents gen that arent junkies or drunks tend to be "conservatives". My whole think with some old folks they didnt even need to be "pro black", at least be pro ownership and building something, lot of older people pushed the "good job" and move to a white neighborhood dream to their kids.

My parents are immigrants from Haiti. Dad's family is somewhat well off. Parents never really cared about or experienced White supremacy... they could go to Haiti and live on the beach for the rest of their lives. But I guess they wanted to raise me and my sis in America cause it would be an advantage.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I think those that were in their 20s in the 70s were the closest thing to who we are right now but drugs being funneled into the hoods destroyed all of it leaving you to either become a junkie or bounce to the burbs and not build
Exactly. Drugs took the steam out the whole movement. You look at the 80s and 90s and we had a bunch of problems that distracted us from the task at hand

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
My parents are immigrants from Haiti. They never really cared about or experienced White supremacy... they could go to Haiti and live on the beach for the rest of their lives. But I guess they wanted to raise me and my sis in America cause it would be an advantage.
I would think Haiti would be considered white supremacy central. My parents are African to their experiences were indirectly but my mom dealth directly with it growing up around white missionaries, and told me a ton of stories about how shady those people were.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Exactly. Drugs took the steam out the whole movement. You look at the 80s and 90s and we had a bunch of problems that distracted us from the task at hand
Yea same thing is happening with us, since they can lynch us all at once they just keep the masses distracted and lynch off those living in poverty who would be easy to villanize.

Daps
I would think Haiti would be considered white supremacy central. My parents are African to their experiences were indirectly but my mom dealth directly with it growing up around white missionaries, and told me a ton of stories about how shady those people were.

Nah. It all depends on the President / People. Haitians hate Whites.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
her son was trying to face white supremacy in its face?

that boy probably couldn't give less of a damn about the black plight and was just tryna hit a come up
All y'all dumb as fukk. Y'all don't know what was goin thru the kids head, y'all don't know what he's gone through, what his family has gone through yet you quick to throw your 2 cents in about what you ASSUME is going on.

Daps
My parents were in the older generation, born in the 1930's. My mom grew up on a farm in rural Alabama near Tuskeegee. My dad grew up in the city; he was a officer in the military beginning in the late 1950's. Do you think that I would ever assume that they were weak? They made it through times of blatant outright discrimination and segregation. While there were things and incidents that they discussed about those times they don't dwell on them, at least as far as I can tell.
They are upstanding, successful people and raised successful children. Me and my brothers have been given the torch, we have to run with it and pass it along to the next generation.
Does it mean that I won't experience racism and discrimination? Of course not. It probably won't be as overt as what my parents and grandparents experienced. How do I/ will I deal with it? It depends. I can't ever see violence or rioting as an option I would take or recommend to anyone.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
85% Of all people are blind
10% Aren't blind but are trying to get over on the blind
5% Aren't blind and are trying to help.

That means 85% of 60 year olds, 85% of 10 year olds, 85% of whites, 85% of blacks. 85% of parents, and 85% of their children.

Now what the fukk we gonna do about it brehs :myman::pacspit: