Let's actually have a hip-hop conversation for once... Does anybody else have "IWW > Illmatic"?

RichYung

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i know people who prefers IWW over Illmatic.

I used to care but at the end of the day, he's picking a classic over a classic.
Yeah, I mean there's no wrong answer. Just interested on what makes people pick one over the other.

RichYung

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Illmaticnis better because it's perfect.

I love It Was Written, I've been playing it nonstop for a few months now. But there's 2-3 songs I constantly skip. There's nothing I skip on Illmatic.

The best songs on Illmatic are also better than the best songs on It Was Written.
What you skip? I can't STAND "Nas is coming" and "watch them nikkas"

Ty-Fife

14k Gold Slum Computer Wizard
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Would IWW be more comparable if it was an intro plus 9 songs like Illmatic? :jbhmm:

pointproven214

i speak facts not emotions
Daps
Reppin
dallas texas
it was written is and was better then illmatic.

take it in blood any verse on that shyts on anything illmatic he spit

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
I think IWW will help you love Illmatic over time if you didn't already. I first heard all of IWW before I heard all of Illmatic. Remember it took to from 1996 to 2001 for Illmatic to go Platinum. And Nas had a MTV buzzworthy video along with Nirvanas "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Thank West Coast Dominance , "Snoop Dre,Warren G,Cube etc." and no strong radio single for Illmatic poor sales.Hits sell albums.

If you don't have a ear for traditional sample and kick drum based Hip Hop then you wont absorb Illmatic all the way at first.

IWW has beats that a 16 year old or 36 year old will love still if you played it now.

Lyrically Illmatic has more poignant life observations especially as you mature. "Buck that bought a bottle..." *Life's A bytch" "the intro", " "through out the walls of intelligence life is defined" writing his friend in Jail on "One Love"etc.

IWW has the flyest bars tho.
IWW has a straight forward theme but also mystique to it. Lyrically You got mafioso, mixed with pro-black 5%er influence, QB slang, mixed with commercial r&b and homages to the old school rappers with samples from Kool Keith Ultramagnetic on " Take it in Blood" and Kurtis Blow "If I Ruled The Wirld
Also the strings on IWW are well done like Affirmative Action" and the right mix of grime and polish production-wise.
Sometimes I think IWW gets snubbed because it doesn't have an overt "concious message" like alot of Illmatic does.

Last edited:

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
This conversation has been had on here 38373636 times. What u mean "for once"?

Just a lazy attempt by a 6fag to look like a real hip hop fan. Homie made a generic thread thats been made a million times on rap forums. This isn't even the first IWW/Illmatic thread in September