Legendary TV talk show host Phil Donahue dies at 88

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC

Legendary TV talk show host Phil Donahue dies at 88​

Donahue died on Sunday night following a long illness, his family said in a statement.

Create your free account or log in to save this article
Aug. 19, 2024, 9:08 AM EDT / Updated Aug. 19, 2024, 9:42 AM EDT / Source: TODAY
By Anna Kaplan and Elizabeth Maline
Longtime TV talk show host Phil Donahue died on Sunday night following a long illness, his family said. He was 88.
Donahue died at his home surrounded by his family, including his wife of 44 years, Marlo Thomas, his sister, his children, grandchildren and his beloved golden retriever, Charlie, his family said in a statement to TODAY.

No further details about his cause of death were released.
Phil Donahue Hosting Talk Show on Nov. 27, 1977.
Donahue has been described as a trailblazer by peers including Oprah Winfrey.Bettmann Archive
The 3rd hour of TODAY's Craig Melvin and Sheinelle Jones announced the news of Donahue's death on Monday morning.
"You know, we overuse sometimes the word trailblazer, but he certainly was, indeed," Sheinelle said.
The journalist pioneered the modern format of issue-based daytime talk shows featuring audience participation. His show would become one of the most influential programs of its time.

In addition to hosting his eponymous show, Donahue regularly appeared on TODAY from 1979 to 1988.
Phil Donahue holds Emmy he received as Outstanding Host in May 18, 1979.
Donahue won several Daytime Emmys during his career.Bettmann Archive
Donahue returned to TV briefly in 2002, when he began hosting a show called "Donahue" on MSNBC, which was canceled several months later.
President Joe Biden awarded Donahue and 18 others the Presidential Medal of Freedom in May. The medal is the country's highest civilian honor, and is presented to "individuals who have made exemplary contributions to the prosperity, values, or security of the United States, world peace, or other significant societal, public or private endeavors," according to the White House.
Donahue’s family requested that donations be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital or the Phil Donahue/Notre Dame Scholarship Fund in lieu of flowers, according to the statement.

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
R.I.P

Soon after Phil Donahue’s MSNBC show cancellation, an internal MSNBC memo was leaked to the press stating that Donahue should be fired because he opposed the imminent U.S. invasion of Iraq and that he would be a "difficult public face for NBC in a time of war" and that his program could be "a home for the liberal anti-war agenda".

MSNBC is trash just like Fox & CNN.
Never forget that!!

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
RIP

I was a kid and had to spend summers at my elderly Aunt's crib while my mom was at work. There wasn't shyt for me to do but watch boring ass daytime TV, but Donahue got a lot of burn when I was a kid. I actually credit him with why I've followed politics so heavily.

Good dude. He platformed any and everyone and let them speak their ideas, but also challenged them when he felt they were wrong.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
A staple of you grew up in that time period and faked being sick to stay home. This show, the game shows, and the “stories” made the avg school day feel long af. RIP
Big facts. Donahue was on that list of shows that almost every 80's kid had to sit through when cartoons weren't on.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
RIP

I was a kid and had to spend summers at my elderly Aunt's crib while my mom was at work. There wasn't shyt for me to but watch boring ass daytime TV, but Donahue got a lot of burn when I was a kid. I actually credit him with why I've followed politics so heavily.

Good dude. He platformed any and everyone and let them speak their ideas, but also challenged them when he felt they were wrong.
That's a fact. Much respect to Phil Donahue for treating his more "controversial" guests with respect & seriousness, unlike shock value hosts like Morton Downey or Richard Bey.