Legendary Dragon ball (Z and Super) creator Akira Toriyama has passed away

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Looking through this thread it’s crazy how much so many of our lives and relationship with DBZ parallel with each other cause I can relate to all of this.

I got impatient too and got out of that phase around the same time. I hit 8th grade in 01’ and my interests were going more towards sports and girls. I ain’t really watch much DBZ again till I put my son’s on about 6-7 years ago.

But let me tell you, from about 96-2000, it ran my life.

It’s funny talking about this reminded me how watching the original version ruined the english version for me. To this day I’ll only watch the original, subtitles or no subtitles lol.

This shyt right here used to get me hyped, the GOAT theme song of any animated series ever IMO

I still watched subtitled but the later DBZ dubs especially when they redid the series, was great. I got back in DBZ around 2006 or so when they released those new boxsets.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cool story. Late 2022 I was able to cop the DBZ box set of the manga.
IMG-1049.jpg

Growing up I only experienced the story through the anime and the games but let me tell you the manga hits different. No filler. Just amazing art and action and I read it with the Faulconer OST playing in the background.:wow: I implore you brehs to read the manga if you haven’t.:ohlawd:

I'm so jealous :noah:

jZnQYW.gif

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Why is this thread so hard to find around here.

I had to actually Google this and advance search the site.

Art Barr

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Started Dragon Ball all over again, starting with the OG. Might make a thread for it in Film Room. Working my way up to Z and going to watch GT for the first time.

Been pretty emotional reading the condolences made by other creators, and especially other mangaka and people like Yuji Horii. I think this might have hit me harder than Michael Jackson's passing.

I've been a massive Dragon Quest fan since 2005 when DQVIII came out and Toriyama's art has always been one of my favorite parts about it. I got to not only experience Toriyama through DB, but also through DQ for 11 games. DQXII will undoubtedly the franchises swan song and it makes me emotional thinking about that. Horii himself is like 70. I just know that the day Uematsu, Sakaguchi pass that I'll cry like a fukking baby. My heroes really are dying. :to: Suikoden creator died just the other week. That franchise impacted me so much as a teenager. Suikoden III was the first game I ever played that starred a black character and he went on a grand adventure. FFVII has Barret but Cloud is the main character. You can make Hugo the hero of the game and make him the Flame Champion. In fact, that's the canon option. So many black characters in III and done in non minstrel or stereotypical way. That really impacted me. I found it amazing how Japanese games had better representation of black people than American ones. That truly stuck out to me and made me an even bigger weeaboo.

I'm rambling, but seeing your heroes die is just...it's sad but it's emboldening. Since Toriyama's passing, I keep thinking or saying shyt like,"nah, Goku wouldn't do that. That's a weak thing to do". Before he passed I was working towards my dream but now after I'm really pushing towards it because I'm inspired by his impact.

Last edited:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Started Dragon Ball all over again, starting with the OG. Might make a thread for it in Film Room. Working my way up to Z and going to watch GT for the first time.

Been pretty emotional reading the condolences made by other creators, and especially other mangaka and people like Yuji Horii. I think this might have hit me harder than Michael Jackson's passing.

I've been a massive Dragon Quest fan since 2005 when DQVIII came out and Toriyama's art has always been one of my favorite parts about it. I got to not only experience Toriyama through DB, but also through DQ for 11 games. DQXII will undoubtedly the franchises swan song and it makes me emotional thinking about that. Horii himself is like 70. I just know that the day Uematsu, Sakaguchi pass that I'll cry like a fukking baby. My heroes really are dying. :to: Suikoden creator died just the other week. That franchise impacted me so much as a teenager. Suikoden III was the first game I ever played that starred a black character and he went on a grand adventure. FFVII has Barret but Cloud is the main character. You can make Hugo the hero of the game and make him the Flame Champion. In fact, that's the canon option. So many black characters in III and done in non minstrel or stereotypical way. That really impacted me. I found it amazing how Japanese games had better representation of black people than American ones. That truly stuck out to me and made me an even bigger weeaboo.

I'm rambling, but seeing your heroes die is just...it's sad but it's emboldening. Since Toriyama's passing, I keep thinking or saying shyt like,"nah, Goku wouldn't do that. That's a weak thing to do". Before he passed I was working towards my dream but now after I'm really pushing towards it because I'm inspired by his impact.
I’m gonna do a rewatch sometimes this year but I need the OG Toonami dub with the Faulconer score.:whoa:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

seemed to have a lot less filler than DBZ. if i also rewatch DBZ i think i'm gonna watch kai because i don't think i got time for the whole thing again.

i don't think i'm gonna watch GT because Toriyama wasn't that involved in it, but I think I'm gonna watch Super for the first time too.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
seemed to have a lot less filler than DBZ. if i also rewatch DBZ i think i'm gonna watch kai because i don't think i got time for the whole thing again.

i don't think i'm gonna watch GT because Toriyama wasn't that involved in it, but I think I'm gonna watch Super for the first time too.
I find it crazy how I find the perverted jokes funny when they'd get you cancelled if in the wrong demographic these days. I think the show is hilarious and fun as ever.

I'm going to watch the OG DBZ. Watching in bulk I don't think I'll have an issue with any filler and honestly DBZ's filler was always better than other anime series.

I've never really seen GT. I skipped it entirely back in the day and i hear it's as good as Super. Super is pretty good but not DB or Z quality, though some arcs are up there, notably Goku Black arc. I hear the manga gets even better.

I’m gonna do a rewatch sometimes this year but I need the OG Toonami dub with the Faulconer score.:whoa:
I always hated the Faulconer score. :francis: You'd have an emotional moment and here they are playing heavy rock music.

Coming from watching Ocean dub for years to Funimation dub was very weird to me. It felt like a completely different show and they didn't respect the original tone and American-ized it up. I also preferred the voices from the Ocean dub too. That early Funi dub is what made me a subtitles breh for life. Though I really fukked with the re-dub once they redid the Ocean dub episodes.

Is OG Toonami dub even available?

I resented what Funimation did to DBZ.

We went from this

to this

I abjectly hated Funimation for years. We're good now though. :heh:

Last edited:

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
I find it crazy how I find the perverted jokes funny when they'd get you cancelled if in the wrong demographic these days. I think the show is hilarious and fun as ever.

I'm going to watch the OG DBZ. Watching in bulk I don't think I'll have an issue with any filler and honestly DBZ's filler was always better than other anime series.

I've never really seen GT. I skipped it entirely back in the day and i hear it's as good as Super. Super is pretty good but not DB or Z quality, though some arcs are up there, notably Goku Black arc. I hear the manga gets even better.

I always hated the Faulconer score. :francis: You'd have an emotional moment and here they are playing heavy rock music.

Coming from watching Ocean dub for years to Funimation dub was very weird to me. It felt like a completely different show and they didn't respect the original tone and American-ized it up. I also preferred the voices from the Ocean dub too. That early Funi dub is what made me a subtitles breh for life. Though I really fukked with the re-dub once they redid the Ocean dub episodes.

Is OG Toonami dub even available?

I resented what Funimation did to DBZ.

We went from this

to this

I abjectly hated Funimation for years. We're good now though. :heh:

All I could find

Edit: search Dragon Ball Z Ocean dub on google internet archive has some episodes