Ladies, How Can a Man Improve His Communication?

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As the title states.

Communication is hard for me, because, in my eyes, lack of communication doesn't mean lack of care. However, every woman I've dated sees it the other way around. I always enjoy communicating, i'm just not always in the mood for a full convo.

Secondly, I've been told by friends, girlfriends, and family that i'm bad at understanding what people are saying, and too eager to be "technically" right instead of "hearing" and "listening" to the other person.

Do you know men with similar issues?

If so.. how did they overcome them? What pointers can you provide?

Or am I not the problem? :ohhh:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
A compromise has to be struck. Part of growing up as a woman and understanding masculine energy is understanding that men may not necessarily communicate in the same way as a woman. It seems frustrating to us at first but if u love and accept and understand men it becomes less of an issue b/c they communicate through their actions which is preferable to me.

I'm not saying words aren't important or that a man shouldn't work to communicate with words more b/c that's important. But God forbid a chick overlook the actions of a man who loves her and what they say in favor of some useless mouthpiece.

All that having been said, I give men the same advice I give to women (b/c we aren't as good as communicating as we think we are despite having all the words in the world.)
1.) Don't use conversation to manipulate or prevaricate. Conversation with ur girl should be as genuine as it is with your homies. Oftentimes we complain to others and vent to others what we should be actually saying to our s/o. Be respectful, loving and honest.
2.) Be fearless. Sometimes we don't communicate because we're afraid of losing the person. Or looking weird or undesirable. Or offending the person. Or any other reason that holds us back. The answer is to put even those fears into words. Speaking a fear often eliminates it. That's the power of words. Verbal acknowledgement means the fear has no unspoken place to hide.
3.) Don't fool urself. Ur partner should be a haven for you. If u are plagued with incessant doubt about communicating with ur mate then there is some shyt ya'll need to fix. U should feel more comfortable or at least as comfortable talking to her as you do to anybody else in the world.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A compromise has to be struck. Part of growing up as a woman and understanding masculine energy is understanding that men may not necessarily communicate in the same way as a woman. It seems frustrating to us at first but if u love and accept and understand men it becomes less of an issue b/c they communicate through their actions which is preferable to me.

I'm not saying words aren't important or that a man shouldn't work to communicate with words more b/c that's important. But God forbid a chick overlook the actions of a man who loves her and what they say in favor of some useless mouthpiece.

All that having been said, I give men the same advice I give to women (b/c we aren't as good as communicating as we think we are despite having all the words in the world.)
1.) Don't use conversation to manipulate or prevaricate. Conversation with ur girl should be as genuine as it is with your homies. Oftentimes we complain to others and vent to others what we should be actually saying to our s/o. Be respectful, loving and honest.
2.) Be fearless. Sometimes we don't communicate because we're afraid of losing the person. Or looking weird or undesirable. Or offending the person. Or any other reason that holds us back. The answer is to put even those fears into words. Speaking a fear often eliminates it. That's the power of words. Verbal acknowledgement means the fear has no unspoken place to hide.
3.) Don't fool urself. Ur partner should be a haven for you. If u are plagued with incessant doubt about communicating with ur mate then there is some shyt ya'll need to fix. U should feel more comfortable or at least as comfortable talking to her as you do to anybody else in the world.

Hmm this is great advice, thank you!

1) This is probably one of my biggest issues.. When a guy is talking to his friends, the convo is the convo, period. There is little subtext, there is even less ulterior means and motive. The point of the conversation is not to grow a deeper connection, the point is convey a point/idea/feeling/information and keep it moving. The connection growth is natural.

Now with women, every conversation has to have a meaning. I hate this tbh. I can't just be like... "I heard the craziest thing today" and then we talk about it for 5 minutes and i'm like "aight i'll talk to you later."

Nope, doesn't work. Most women i've dated would be like... "thats all you wanted to talk to me about?" Basically saying that the conversation did not hold enough depth to warrant even initiating. As if she has become someone that I need to prepare a beginning middle and end before I even talk to her.

And when this mindset creeps in, it makes me less likely to even communicate because communication takes too much energy. I don't want every convo to involve an introspective look at ourselves and our relationship... sometimes I just wanna tell you some shyt :dahell:.

2) I think that's great advice, but that's not a problem I have. I don't posture up myself for other people. If anything I overshare.

3) For me this links back into number 1. I tend to not see conversation as a haven with the women I have dated because it just becomes too much. Its not that they are going to judge me or mistreat me based on how to conversation goes. I feel as though I can hold a conversation on most subjects, from trivial to deeply emotional.

My problem comes when our conversations have to reach a minimum impact/meaning threshold. I have best friends who I call up and have a 5 minute conversation about a new album and its fine. That conversation has served its purpose. I can't have that same, sporadic type of conversation with a woman i'm dating. She'll be llike... "dont treat me like one of your friends"

And the odd thing is, if she did that to me I would completely okay. and if I had something to add, I would add it. But if there's nothing to add, we should end the convo, not go deeper if unneeded

Please advise so I can become better :feedme:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
I've never had an issue with shootin the shyt with an irl brehette @The Wave but on the other hand they tend to be dry as fukk on the substantive shyt...using hallmark quotes on a nikka when I tell them about shyt I'm dealing with. Plus they don't remember shyt...idk I'm detail oriented so the nuances are what get me with them especially when it indicates a lack of genuine interest.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've never had an issue with shootin the shyt with an irl brehette @The Wave but on the other hand they tend to be dry as fukk on the substantive shyt...using hallmark quotes on a nikka when I tell them about shyt I'm dealing with. Plus they don't remember shyt...idk I'm detail oriented so the nuances are what get me with them especially when it indicates a lack of genuine interest.

I'm like you when it comes to being very detail oriented during conversation, but luckily I haven't dealt with many women who just forget things I tell them. I think that would annoy me if it happened.

As far as deep women, its been hit or miss with me... I dunno I tend not to share really stuff with anybody period until it reaches a point of fukkery and I can laugh about it. The serious stuff usually stays between me and my family. But with overall deep conversations, I've talked to brehettes who are deeper and more intellectual than doctors and lawyers I know irl. :pachaha:

But I don't want to personally shift the onus to the woman because the common denominator is me in all of these instances. I just want to know that I can share some serious shyt with you one day, and hit you up about basketball the next.

When you shoot the shyt with women you're dating, do they ever try to make it more than it is breh, or do they just let that conversation stand on its own? :lupe:

Last edited:

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox

Aphrodite

The Black Venus
Daps
Well...From what I've picked up from you is that you lack emotions. You don't seem to be sensitive outwardly, but I know that you are a water sign (Scorpio) so you just hold it in even if you do want to get serious/talk. You also are Nigerian I think. You probably consider investing too much feelings/emotions is weak for a man.

I suggest to start blogging and try to blog on things that aren't so close to comfort.

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
You're a girl tho:dwillhuh:..

It's not like you have to take time out and actually engage men. You even made a thread about a dude who tried to slide, but it was random so you disregarded him.

What thread was this?

I'm not bad at talking, per se, I just have a bad habit of not talking a lot or often. When I'm engaged in a conversation I'm engaged but I can also keep it short and simple. When I was away from home I talked to my parents every single day but the conversation never lasted more than five minutes. We had that kind of understanding.

With my friends I hate it when they drag the conversation along for the sake of just talking.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
As the title states.

Communication is hard for me, because, in my eyes, lack of communication doesn't mean lack of care. However, every woman I've dated sees it the other way around. I always enjoy communicating, i'm just not always in the mood for a full convo.

Secondly, I've been told by friends, girlfriends, and family that i'm bad at understanding what people are saying, and too eager to be "technically" right instead of "hearing" and "listening" to the other person.

Do you know men with similar issues?

If so.. how did they overcome them? What pointers can you provide?

Or am I not the problem? :ohhh:
God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you talk. Also a big thing is to actually try active listening and not just focus on what you are going to say next.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason. Listen twice as much as you talk. Also a big thing is to actually try active listening and not just focus on what you are going to say next.

Appreciate the advice.

Its funny because every situation i've been accused at being bad at listening i've always felt that the person who I'm speaking with is just doing a poor job of communicating their point. So then I resort to silence, and ofc that's probably worse.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well...From what I've picked up from you is that you lack emotions. You don't seem to be sensitive outwardly, but I know that you are a water sign (Scorpio) so you just hold it in even if you do want to get serious/talk. You also are Nigerian I think. You probably consider investing too much feelings/emotions is weak for a man.

I suggest to start blogging and try to blog on things that aren't so close to comfort.

Appreciate the advice!

Its not that I lack emotions per say, its just that I dont see the point of expressing things like that outwardly if I haven't reached a conclusion/solution.

I'll share emotional stories or experiences if they are closed. If I have resolved them or fixed them. But I'll rarely share something open that i'm dealing with because I'm not expecting help or understanding.

My mom used to always tell me that "Women don't want to hear about your issues, they want to know how you plan to fix them"

And yes I am Nigerian

Aphrodite

The Black Venus
Daps
Appreciate the advice!

Its not that I lack emotions per say, its just that I dont see the point of expressing things like that outwardly if I haven't reached a conclusion/solution.

I'll share emotional stories or experiences if they are closed. If I have resolved them or fixed them. But I'll rarely share something open that i'm dealing with because I'm not expecting help or understanding.

My mom used to always tell me that "Women don't want to hear about your issues, they want to know how you plan to fix them"

And yes I am Nigerian
Makes sense.
I wasn't judging you btw.
Just from what I picked up.