Knack PAX Impressions

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think gaming has age limits. And I don't think a game needs to look "mature" to be great. One of my favorite games this year was ni no kuni.

But even lighthearted/family games need some depth to them. I have kids and I buy and play plenty of games with them. My daughter knows when she gets a shallow game wit repetitive mechanics no matter how good it's characters look(most Disney movie games). And from what I've seen this game is linear beat em up with limited combos and a gimicky growth/shrink mechanic. It looks to be fun for a while, but nothing that would hold mine or my daughters attention for very long.

looking mature and looking complex are 2 different things...i talked about the latter..which your second point also talked about, so i'll talk about that...the complexity of a game shouldnt matter when determining whether or not you gonna play it, that's what i'm saying...you should take a game for what it is, not for what it's not...when i play family/lighhearted games, i dont look for complex/tough game play..i'm expecting something simple and repetitive, since it's probably aimed at a younger crowd...on a side note: even complex games have repetitive gameplay, but that's another topic...

anyway, you say this game wouldnt hold yours nor your daughter's attention for very long, what is 'very long' specifically?...i ask because if the game is fun and yall play for an hour or 2 here and there, you not gonna notice how linear, shallow, and repetitive the game is cause yall gonna be too busy enjoying yallselves...

...i dont know if knack is fun, havent played it yet, but from what i've seen so far, it looks fun to me...it doesnt to you...that's cool....after i play it, i'll let you know what i think...

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
Forza and dead rising for sure.

Ryse might be a bargain bin joint. Just like knack
Knack looks 10 times better than that piece of shyt.

As for your other post, you're still confusing a kiddie art style for simplistic/kiddie gameplay. Did you actually watch the video? The girl said that while Knack looks to be geared toward kids, it actually had a high difficulty level/learning curve.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Knack looks 10 times better than that piece of shyt.

As for your other post, you're still confusing a kiddie art style for simplistic/kiddie gameplay. Did you actually watch the video? The girl said that while Knack looks to be geared toward kids, it actually had a high difficulty level/learning curve.

High difficulty does not mean the gameplay is not shallow.

I watched the 15 minute gameplay walkthrough and all he did was move from area to area fighting people doing the same damn combo. There was no real "platforming" and the grow/shrinks mechanic is a gimick. There was no puzzles or exploration whatsoever.

Basically this is Ryse with kiddie paint. Or Ryse is knack with grow up paint

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
High difficulty does not mean the gameplay is not shallow.

I watched the 15 minute gameplay walkthrough and all he did was move from area to area fighting people doing the same damn combo. There was no real "platforming" and the grow/shrinks mechanic is a gimick. There was no puzzles or exploration whatsoever.

Basically this is Ryse with kiddie paint. Or Ryse is knack with grow up paint
Well that remains to be seen. True that there wasnt much platforming shown in the demo, but they said there were hundreds of secret areas and some puzzle elements, not quite as shallow as you're painting it. And at the end of the day, even if it does end up being simple gameplay, you'd rather that be in a game for all ages with Pixar cutscenes keeping the kids' attention between levels, than that simple gameplay in a bloody game designed for adults.

Ryse is Knack with "grow up paint", followed by a few layers of shyt and then tossed into the garbage disposal :heh:

Rico

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Knack would be my game 20 years ago. Doesn't appeal to me as an adult. Its a pile of junk going through a game. Dog I'm grown.