Kingsman: The Golden Circle

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Yeah I disagree. The identity is still the same. Identity changing would be, for me anyway, a shift in tone and a shift in what the franchise means. It evolved its characters and its settings, it didn't suddenly become a romantic comedy or a farce.

The reason Kick ass 2 didn't work is because it lost its sense of humor. The reason ID2 didn't work is because the first movie wasn't that great to begin with and this one was just a bigger version of a thing that wasn't really good. Bigger doesn't equal better
Yeah it kinda did right off the jump though. We see homie dating the girl he slid into at the end of 1 on some weird romance shyt, we kill Lancelot and the support just because reasons... even the messages they were trying to send at the end about drug usage was just outta nowhere and seemingly out of place no matter how you looked at the universe previously.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah it kinda did right off the jump though. We see homie dating the girl he slid into at the end of 1 on some weird romance shyt, we kill Lancelot and the support just because reasons... even the messages they were trying to send at the end about drug usage was just outta nowhere and seemingly out of place no matter how you looked at the universe previously.

Out of nowhere? You don’t remember how the first one was about global warming and saving the planet and also a rich vs poor theme? Matthew Vaughn kept the same type of “message” in this one and talked about the war on drugs

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Out of nowhere? You don’t remember how the first one was about global warming and saving the planet and also a rich vs poor theme? Matthew Vaughn kept the same type of “message” in this one and talked about the war on drugs
saving the planet from a doomsday device is pretty much the theme of most spy movies

sitting through conversations about "i only tried drugs once, that doesn't make me a bad person" is out of nowhere imo

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
saving the planet from a doomsday device is pretty much the theme of most spy movies

sitting through conversations about "i only tried drugs once, that doesn't make me a bad person" is out of nowhere imo

Yeah saving the planet from doomsday but having something to say isn’t par for the course for those type of spy movies. The rich vs poor aspect, commenting on how we’re all addicted to our phones, that’s specific to that movie and this director who has always had something to say about the world at large. Layer cake and X-Men first class being two prime examples

Also since it’s a parody of James Bond, live and let die dealt with drugs and drug trade along with license to kill. It simply took both of those movies and made their plots a bit more intelligent and current while again, saying something and commenting on society at large

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
This was not good and borderline trash. Elton John doing fight scenes jump kicking bad guys in the face....yea I couldn't even finish this shyt. The first half was dope but Julianne Moore playing the villain just didnt do it for me. She was corny and it all seemed like a big joke. Started feeling more like an Austin Powers movie after a while with better fight scenes (barely). I see what the director was doing with the whole drug thing like the cell phones in the previous one but this just seemed forced and shoved down your throat. I don't give a fukk about the President's secretary and her being locked up. A shame this couldn't touch the first one and they just about ruined this series for me when they could've done something special IMO but if it made money I'm pretty sure more watered down derivative versions of these movies will be churned out while being more preachy.
2/5

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Finally got around to watching this and I enjoyed it :ehh:. While I agree it's not as good as the first one, I felt it was still fun and had a lot of the same elements. I thought the Elton John stuff was :russ:for the most part. The robot dogs, Oberyn Martell's electric lasso :wow:.

Juliane Moore wasn't as memorable as Samuel Jackson's lisp, but she was cool.

Merlin :sadcam:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Its not a bad a movie. Its really not. I'm just still petty over the fact they bodied the cast that gave the film its character to begin with

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Its not a bad a movie. Its really not. I'm just still petty over the fact they bodied the cast that gave the film its character to begin with

Who did they really kill off though? It's been awhile since I've seen the 1st movie but the sequel still has Etsy, Merlin for most of the film, they bring back Harry fairly quickly, and Etsy's nemesis is still in it. Only person I can really think of is the girl who was helping him in the beginning. I know she got the script and was like :francis:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Who did they really kill off though? It's been awhile since I've seen the 1st movie but the sequel still has Etsy, Merlin for most of the film, they bring back Harry fairly quickly, and Etsy's nemesis is still in it. Only person I can really think of is the girl who was helping him in the beginning. I know she got the script and was like :francis:

Yeah she was it. And it sucked to see her go because it felt tone deaf and also pointless. But they didn't "kill the whole squad"