Kinect: from integral part of the Xbox One experience to $40 clearance item

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-One...29717651971360446795&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

It is insane the amount of damage this thing ultimately did to the Xbox brand. Now they're practically giving them away. Hell people without the first revision of the console can't even use the device without buying the AC power cable because they dropped the port from the consoles.

If we're being honest here the damn thing was always trash. You can't really do complex gameplay with a device like that. It was cool as a tech demo and novelty item for casual party games and the voice recognition / controls they strapped to it as well as the IR blaster were great but it always seemed like if they wanted that stuff could have been just added to the console with a mic instead of requiring a camera for voice commands.

This has to be one of the highest profile failures in gaming. The Kinect doomed the Xbox One to a distant second place finish and the price they paid was meaningless. They traded market share for nothing and in the end they abandoned it. It made their hardware weaker and drove up the price, created this inferior narrative. Later they cut the price of the console aggressively and gave away games left and right to try and right the ship. The amount of money (especially potential profits) they lost on the Kinect has to be pretty large.

Meanwhile the PlayStation Camera did zero damage to the PS4.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Amazon is also selling it for the same price. Again if you have the Xbox One S or plan to get the Xbox One X Kinect alone isn't compatible unless you get a $40 adapter to power it from a wall plug.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
PSVR has literally been releasing games by the boatload just this past month/week moron.
PSVR is highly likely to be abandoned given the company's track record. It will still never compare to the disaster Kinect was because it's optional and will end up doing no damage to the PS4.

I still believe it was the Kinect (not the required digital only policy that they dropped well before release) that cost Microsoft all this market share they lost to Sony. People simply weren't willing to spend $500 on a device that was really no better than the $400 device especially with a forced accessory they didn't want.

The way I see it VR in the gaming space is like 3DTVs. They may try to push it for years but the public as a whole isn't gonna buy into it and in the end a niche audience will use it. The question is will that niche audience be enough to justify it's continued support? The thing about 3DTVs is for years the tech was baked into TVs and people still were apathetic as a whole to it. Meanwhile you have to make a separate purchase to use something like PSVR.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
PSVR is highly likely to be abandoned given the company's track record. It will still never compare to the disaster Kinect was because it's optional and will end up doing no damage to the PS4.

I still believe it was the Kinect (not the required digital only policy that they dropped well before release) that cost Microsoft all this market share they lost to Sony. People simply weren't willing to spend $500 on a device that was really no better than the $400 device especially with a forced accessory they didn't want.

The way I see it VR in the gaming space is like 3DTVs. They may try to push it for years but the public as a whole isn't gonna buy into it and in the end a niche audience will use it. The question is will that niche audience be enough to justify it's continued support? The thing about 3DTVs is for years the tech was baked into TVs and people still were apathetic as a whole to it. Meanwhile you have to make a separate purchase to use something like PSVR.
VR is here to stay and the possibilities are endless. VR is a niche product but that's to be expected as it's a costly separate purchase and it's not meant to replace TV and isn't remotely comparable.

Go try a Rift with the touch controllers and come back and tell me that's not a big deal. It's still a way off from total mainstream but yeah. I've been using my VR headset a lot lately as there's been a lot of games coming out this past few months.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
VR is the future. unfortunately that's where the games are too :mjcry:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
VR is the future. unfortunately that's where the games are too :mjcry:
The day VR takes over games I'm out.
VR is here to stay and the possibilities are endless. VR is a niche product but that's to be expected as it's a costly separate purchase and it's not meant to replace TV and isn't remotely comparable.

Go try a Rift with the touch controllers and come back and tell me that's not a big deal. It's still a way off from total mainstream but yeah. I've been using my VR headset a lot lately as there's been a lot of games coming out this past few months.
Motion controls had Wii Sports. What is the definitive application that will convince the masses they need to be using VR? The tech has many useful applications but I just don't see gaming as one of them. I've never really pined to be inside a video game now. I prefer to experience them as I do now.