Albums Killer Mike - "Michael" (Discussion Thread)

vino

Superstar
Daps
I wasn’t much of a Killer Mike fan musically but I heard 2 tracks so far and they were dope. That cee lo track and that dree 300 one.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When he does cornball shyt like this. This is why i can’t rock with him..

You siding with Pitchfork? :mjlol:

I think they’ve proven themselves to be biased as hell with how they’ve treated Nas in the past. They bring their sociopolitical biases to the reviews. To them Nas is a woman beater because Kelis said so and Mike is MAGA because he doesn’t tow the liberal line 100%.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
You siding with Pitchfork? :mjlol:

I think they’ve proven themselves to be biased as hell with how they’ve treated Nas in the past. They bring their sociopolitical biases to the reviews. To them Nas is a woman beater because Kelis said so and Mike is MAGA because he doesn’t tow the liberal line 100%.
So I take it you didn’t even read the review.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I take it you didn’t even read the review.

I read that wack ass review. The overwhelming majority was about Mike’s political beliefs and not about his music. This is another hit piece by white owned publications because a black man is not towing the liberal line 100%.

This is the same bullshyt they have been pulling on Chappelle, Nas and Ice Cube.

Meanwhile they have zero criticisms about subject matter when the music is all about gang banging, killing fellow black men, doing hard drugs and flooding the community with drugs.

These white outlets pick and and choose when to be self righteous.

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
14K sold first week.

Number 58 debut
Thanks.

Damn I wasn't expecting big numbers...but I know he gotta be disappointed all the press he's doing and it is a great piece of art.

Anyway....with the pledge series, Rap music, RTJ (first 3) and this...he's legendary in my book now.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Album isn't bad but not nearly as good as R.A.P. Music. Lots of debate over his politics and I get it. There's this weird contradiction and tone in his music and personal statements. On one hand he speaks of revolution, shouting out Black Panthers and other black Marxists. On the other hand this is a man preaching black business and bragging about being a landlord. I'm not gonna fault anyone for questioning why the guy wearing "Kill Your Masters" shirts is out here yelling "pay rent, bytch."

At the same time rap music - and music in general - is often filled with contradictions that make music interesting and relatable. Think about how contradictory Pac was. for instance. I view that as one of his great attributes. I'm not sure there's anything great or interesting about the contradiction of communism and landlord bars though. So my issue isn't that he's contradicting himself, it's that it's a boring contradiction.

Dwelling on that is a disservice to the album though. I like most of the production, I love the live instrumentation. Virtually all the guest verses/singing is dope. The last three tracks are probably my favorite. Especially Motherless and Don't Let The Devil. And while R.A.P. Music remains more entertaining, this album seems more honest about who he is. Mike's not a revolutionary, and he's not 91 Ice Cube. He's a black man trying to make it in America by any means. And some of those means appeal to me, while others don't at all.