Kill fredo yes or no?

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
This ain’t the place for that comparison. St Louis you got me feeling guilt cause I said Fredo deserved to die.

BP and GF are more alike than you think, so much so that Coogler screened it for Coppola but that's for another thread, you're right.

Sorry for making you feel guilty, I just think Michael is the villain in The Godfather 2.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Man Godfather:wow:

Mike: Is that why you slap my brother around?

Fredo: :lupe: aw mike Moe meant nothing by that..right moe? :merchant:
Moe::mjpls: He was banging cocktails waitresses two at a time I got a business to run

Mike: You straighten my brother out? :demonic:

fukking fredo :mjlol:

Cazale did some phenomal acting...when Mike starts flexing on Moe and you see Fredo with his hands on his hips getting nervous :russ:

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Breh it took me years to connect that dot, and when I revealed it here and when I tell people in RL who I know have loved this movie for longer than I've been alive they're all :ohhh::mindblown:

Fredo was the only one who could've done that shyt. @Daisy Fitzroy does point out that the night-call leads us to believe Fredo truly didn't know it was going to be a hit, but that might've been him already in denial/trying to save his ass. The other theory could be that there was another traitor in the camp. Which WOULD make sense because SOMEBODY killed those two assassins, and I'm not convinced at all that Fredo could've/would've done that based on how he reacted when Vito got popped.

I say it's Fredo who opened them as he's the only one who could legit walk around the house and everybody would accept it. The movie also never tells us what Fredo did exactly to betray Mike. The OG script has these lines:

MICHAEL I want you to reach Fredo. I know he's scared, but have one of our people reach him. Assure him that there will be no reprisals. Tell him that I know Roth misled him.

HAGEN My information is that Fredo thought it was a kidnapping. Roth assured him nothing would happen to you.

Which means Fredo gave them access to Mike's whereabouts, which could definitely imply that he opened the drapes.

The reason we don't think about it is because Michael internalizes everything and the movie, which is GOAT, doesn't really bother telling us everything.

He's only open to Tom and even there we can see he's not giving him everything he's thinking about:

TOMIf we catch these guys do you think we'll be able to find out who's backing them?
MICHAELThat's not the catch -- unless I'm very wrong, they're dead already. They're killed by somebody close to us -- inside. Very, very scared they botched it.
TOMWhat about your people ROCCO and NERI? You don't think that they had something to do with this.
MICHAELYou see -- all our people are business men, their loyalty is based on that. Now, one thing that I learned from Pop was to try to think as people around you think. Now on that basis, anything's possible.

Everyone who makes it a point to externalize and tell Michael how they really feel gets GOT in some way.

Kay tells him what she did and how she feels and gets cut off
Fredo tells him, in the end, how he feels and gets offed (I truly don't think he was 100% set on killing him, but this conversation led him to believe Fredo was ALWAYS going to resent Mike and be prone to outside influence)
Hyman Roth tells him, in the end, how feels and gets offed
Tom Hagen keeps it real with Mike and gets fired
Connie keeps it real with Mike and gets cut off

Who does Mike keep close to him?

Al Neri who's only line in the movie, I think, is "it's difficult, not impossible" when they talk about killing Hyman.

That's how alone Mike is at the end. He's not just physically by himself because everybody is either scared shytless of him or he cast them out.
Nobody knows how he's thinking.

Cut to the flashback where he's the only one who doesn't go greet his dad at the door because Mike just externalized and told everybody how he feels and his older brother slapped him for it and Tom treated him like a tool ("we have plans for you Mikey").

The only one who congratulates him....Fredo :mjcry:

GOATshyt.
Connie fell in line though:pachaha:

In the book she and that guy she brought to the wedding went on that cruise and halfway to europe the Cruise Liner informed them the bank didn't extend their credit....they then get kicked out to lower class accommodations :pachaha:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Fredo put the entire family at risk in order to potentially gain something. Not just "something for me" but...Fredo likely also thought getting rid of Michael would lead to him becoming the head of the family. Michael had to do it. Imagine Michael's thought process....he had to be thinking Fredo might one day endanger his son, the heir of the family.

BTW this reminds me of when Michael was antagonizing Tom towards the end of Godfather II. Michael had to re-assert his dominance over the family. Tom had been running things while Michael was away...now he had to make everyone realize he was back and the HNIC. What a shame that they couldn't get the original Godfather III idea filmed, which involved Michael and Tom battling for control of the family.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
BP and GF are more alike than you think, so much so that Coogler screened it for Coppola but that's for another thread, you're right.

Sorry for making you feel guilty, I just think Michael is the villain in The Godfather 2.
  1. Well wtf you waiting on? Make the :damn: thread.
  2. It’s cool breh
    giphy.gif

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
  1. Well wtf you waiting on? Make the :damn: thread.
  2. It’s cool breh
    giphy.gif

:patrice:

Yeaaaah. I don't know if it has enough legs for a thread, I kinda meant in an already existing on topic BP thread.

I don't want to create a thread full of juelzing and reaching. Lemme try and see what I can source first.

I'm not a film room OG with the clout to pull off my own thread.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
:patrice:

Yeaaaah. I don't know if it has enough legs for a thread, I kinda meant in an already existing on topic BP thread.

I don't want to create a thread full of juelzing and reaching. Lemme try and see what I can source first.

I'm not a film room OG with the clout to pull off my own thread.
The film room is nothing like like The locker room. We are open to all topics film related. Make your opening statement and will get traction based off its strength. Tbh what you said to me was really good in it’s own. You never know someone may have been thinking just what’s you stated. If you mention a few ohs it will definitely get going.