Aug 30, 2023
40 years ago, today ,

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Blue Origin will launch Ed Dwight, the 1st-ever Black astronaut candidate, to space on next New Shepard rocket flight​

April 4, 2024

a white rocket launches into a blue sky

Blue Origin's New Shepard rocket

We now know who will be on board for Blue Origin's first crewed spaceflight since August 2022.

Today (April 4), Jeff Bezos' company announced the six crewmembers for the NS-25 space tourism mission, which will lift off from Blue Origin's West Texas site in the relatively near future. (The target date has not yet been revealed.)

Among the six are former U.S. Air Force Capt. Ed Dwight, who was selected as the nation's first Black astronaut candidate back in 1961, according to Blue Origin.

headshots of five smiling men and one smiling woman

The crew of Blue Origin's upcoming NS-25 suborbital mission. (Image credit: Blue Origin)
"In 1961, Ed was chosen by President John F. Kennedy to enter training at the Aerospace Research Pilot School (ARPS), an elite U.S. Air Force flight training program known as a pathway for entering the NASA Astronaut Corps," Blue Origin wrote in an update today. "In 1963, after successfully completing the ARPS program, Ed was recommended by the U.S. Air Force for the NASA Astronaut Corps but ultimately was not among those selected."

Robert Lawrence was the first Black astronaut selected for a space program — the U.S. Air Force's Manned Orbiting Laboratory, or MOL, a planned spy outpost in Earth orbit that was never built. Lawrence was picked in June 1967, but he died six months later in a supersonic jet crash. The first Black American astronaut to reach space was Guion Bluford, who flew on the STS-8 mission of the space shuttle Challenger in 1983.

Dwight, who was born in 1933, became an entrepreneur and then a sculptor focusing on iconic figures in Black history. Over the past five decades, he has created more than 130 public works, which are featured in museums and other spaces across the U.S. and Canada, according to Blue Origin. His seat on the mission is sponsored by the nonprofit Space For Humanity.

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dude can you imagine how it must feel to be in outer space?
That's gotta be THE ultimate experience.

So many astronauts and people who have been up there have said that it profoundly changes how you feel and think about the world.
I wish someone pushed and inspired me to be an astronaut when I was a kid.

Being a youtuber is quite possibly the lowest of low bars in terms of what you want to be in life.
William Shatner achieved just about everything a youtuber could ever want in life. He went to space, returned and broke down in tears.

jay83

Superstar
Daps
Dude can you imagine how it must feel to be in outer space?
That's gotta be THE ultimate experience.

So many astronauts and people who have been up there have said that it profoundly changes how you feel and think about the world.
I wish someone pushed and inspired me to be an astronaut when I was a kid.

Being a youtuber is quite possibly the lowest of low bars in terms of what you want to be in life.
William Shatner achieved just about everything a youtuber could ever want in life. He went to space, returned and broke down in tears.

YouTuber is cheap, doesn’t require an education, and you can get paid off being ignorant or being stupid. For a lot of stupid people that’s actually a good lane for them otherwise they be in some minimum wage job.
The issue is we don’t promote careers as much that help this planet or society in general.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
I mean even Bill Nye switched up. Times are changing man. It is what it is.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
Why would anyone want to be an astronaut :mjlol:

Yes, I would like to grow up to circle around the earth in a tin can and run pointless experiments over and over again. That's what astronauts do it's not like our astronauts explore anything

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Why would anyone want to be an astronaut :mjlol:

Yes, I would like to grow up to circle around the earth in a tin can and run pointless experiments over and over again. That's what astronauts do it's not our astronauts explore anything
Hell yea

Horny ass 16 yr old me would def be trying to be a streamer

So I can have hoes on my dikk just to get some shine on some kai cenat shyt