Kids today rather be a Youtuber than astronaut

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wanted to be an astronaut as a kid, part of the reason I didn't pursue Physics and EE in college was that there astronaut programme was essentially dead in the water (or so I thought), now we have new classes of astronauts every year, plus SpaceX and BlueOrigin :mjcry:
But Youtuber is easier, more lucrative, safer, accessible, and can be done while having a second career :ehh:
Part of the reason astronaut was such a draw for kids my age was because I saw it on television, in magazines, movies, etc.
Outside of Interstellar, it hasn't been as big a thing in years. Youtube is the primary medium for Gen Z kids

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thing is, if you ask most elementary school kids about being an astronaut and space, they'd still say they want to be it, alonngside things like "surgeon."

It just has to be accessible.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i can't name one astronaut from the past 10 years
The two most visible I've seen are Leland Melvin and Scott Kelly.
One just wrote a best-selling book, and the other gives lectures everywhere.
dku9l444kooka3ohgv4s.jpg
220px-Astronaut_Scott_Kelly_and_President_Barack_Obama.jpg

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
I'm just getting started :hubie:

First I figured out how to upload.... Then how to gain views through tags....now my next step is getting a laptop and mic.

Slowly working up to molding my channel to what I want to become.
So you not gonna post it :unimpressed:

I'm tryna give you free promo here

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
In 2019 this is a good choice.

YouTubers make money doing the things they love.

Astronauts waiting for the government to decide if they matter or not.

Don’t blame the kids cause the grown folks suck:francis:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Read more American kids would much rather be YouTubers than astronauts

Sad state of affairs IMO. Youtube is really a cultural/generational phenomenon..but im not sure thats a good thing in the long run. shyt is WAYY more efficient than TV with regards to keeping eyes glued to the screen. Facebook/Youtube might be two of the biggest keys of western decline
After watching the challenger documentary on Netflix I don’t blame them

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because when you, me, and your children die, this country will be filled with a society that's only interested in fame, likes and "securing the bag" while other countries youth are advancing in more important things like the space program.

Chinamen will fukk around and build an artificial, livable environment in space like that movie Elysium when Earth resources run out. Rich Americans trying to hop on and them Chinese like "Nope!"

:ufdup:

Im nowhere near as altruistic as you.

If i can make millions off youtube im setting my family up for a couple generations. Our space program will be nonexistent regardless

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
lol at this guilt trip

who wouldnt want to be a successful YT, make videos on a subject you love and you get paid, and your job is just to make videos and talk? Man sign me tf up.

respec to astronauts but hell yeah im taking being a YTer over a astronaut.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I always found Ronald McNair an inspiration to me, personally. Then, when I ended up working at A&T and living in Greensboro years ago, that only made the connection a lot more close.

Nowadays, I tell people I want to record the longest saxophone solo in space, just like he set out to do on that challenger flight

I really want to, too :birdman:

having a poster up of Mae Jemison, earlier in the thread.
It was part of an entire collage of Black austronauts.This image was clipped from an Ebony magazine article about Bluford and his family.

S80-37587.jpg

Guion Bluford was the man.

Last edited:

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I think a lot of the reason is because NASA and astronauts just aren't that exciting compared to other things when you're at that age. NASA actually looks pretty darn bland compared to sports and content creators on social media. Perhaps it's because of a lack of proper marketing this has happened.

Hey kids, you want to be like this guy?
170px-Buzz_Aldrin_in_2001.jpg

Or this guy?
intro-1591988050.jpg

It's like choosing between chess and video games. I love chess, but it's bland compared to COD.