Kids On The Internet Are Wishing They Were Born In The '90s

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Culturally, shyt fell off around 05/06 and it’s not even close.

Music fell off.
Wrestling fell off.
Movies fell off.
Clubbing fell off.
Sports fell off.
Gaming fell waaaaay off (just for DLC alone)

You can’t tell me one aspect of any culture that improved once social media was introduced.

World Star was the final nail in the coffin for black culture.
Good cultural stuff still exist it's just harder for quality to be mainstream because of the Internet. You can look for good, quality music, movies, gaming etc. just by surfing Google and streaming. Hell, social media even made it easier since you can follow the things that specifically interest you instead relying on MTV, magazines, film posters, word of mouth etc
like in previous years.

Sukairain

Shahenshah
Daps
Reppin
Straiya
1994 born.

I struggle to think of anything that was seriously, massively better when I was a teenager compared to now. Video games obviously were a million times better. All 2020 games have is better graphics, but that's not even an achievement because it's not the programmers and developers of the games who are responsible for there being better technology. Give the 2000s developers the same technology and they'd pump out games with the same graphics as today only a million times better in terms of gameplay and in terms of respect for the customer (no bullshyt DLCs).

Music? I don't know, in retrospect the 2000s actually had some really good hip-hop. Game with two certified classics and Lupe with three, just for starters. And what about 50 man, god damn his shyt was banging from like 2002 to 07. So ok, I'll say the music was better, but just like today there was an awful lot of garbage too, it wasn't massively ahead of 2020s music just because of the sheer volume of garbage being produced in the '00s.

Internet culture overall was way better. shyt was the wild west back then :blessed: remember Limewire? Pirate Bay? Rapidshare :mjlol: and ISOHUNT! God damn that was the shyt! Kick ass torrents wasn't half bad either. Today we have faster than ever speeds, greater than ever accessibility, and more functionality than we had 15 years ago. But I still feel something important has been lost: illegal file sharing, piracy, and copyright law violation. So I'll say the internet of my teenage was in some important ways better than it is today.

Social media is a fukking cancer. When I was in high school forums were the thing, and as all of us here should agree with, forums are infinitely better than social media. People sharing information with one another without any of the fakeness, and any of the stunting "look how amazing I am" type bullshyt we see on social media. Of course forums were also sewers of toxicity and people could be really nasty to each other, but social media has that equally without bringing much of the positive things that forums had. Forums are essentially dead nowadays.

Overall I think what we have today is much improved technology, but if you look at the two areas I have selected where technology made all the difference - gaming and internet - it seems quite soulless now compared to before, even if the technology is better and the user experience is more efficient. The content just isn't as good.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
80's kids' childhood was in the 90's....
90's kids childhood was the 2000's...
lol...

if you were born in 1990... you were only 6 when pac died...
only 9 when the matrix came out
:mjlol:

nikkas would only remember half the 90's and not even fully comprehend it anyways
Yep. Needed to at least to have been born in the 80s. As for me, 83 and wouldn’t have it any other way.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
Word. Fresh Prince, Living Single, A different world, Family Matters, Martin, The Wayne Brothers, Jamie Foxx show, Steve Harvey Show, in living color and Smart Guy was on tv like damn near every day. I would get home from school and watch at least a few of these shows. A lot of these shows had marathons A LOT.... Like it could be a Saturday and you wake up to the Steve Harvey Show on from like 7am to 6pm. Or I remember one Christmas break playing Smackdown vs Raw, watching that Jamie Foxx show marathon that was on for like 48 hours, and my momma cooking in the kitchen. Or I remember how the channel Oxygen would playing Living Single like no other.

Now I got an entire thread telling me I didn't experience it because I wasn't 18 at the time. :lolbron:
It was nothing like watching these things in real time breh. When the episodes were new and talked about the next day with friends

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Being a teen in the 90's >>>>>>>>>

I dunno who would choose to be a kid in the 90's. If you were given the choice I mean, as opposed to being a teenager.

Fred.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Yeah even for me being like 19 or 20 I remember when the Razr flip phone came out and that really changed the game it was the iphone before the iphone, infact it really spawned all that stupid ring tone stuff from 2004 until... and "always" being connected to the internet.

People were going crazy trying to get the razr, I feel like that's when companies really started to the see the power in black purchases it aint been the same since lol.
Crazy thing is pagers came and went before i ever even got a chance to use one. I remember everybody had one for a minute.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
The 1990s were pretty cool. However, i think we tend to look back on the time period with nostalgia goggles.

How can someone born in 2000 have nostalgia for the 90s?:ohhh:

Posts like this need to be negged:scust: Some of the best musicians, sports, movies were out in the 90s. 2008+ things went to shyt.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The 90s were the apex ( well currently) of alot of things.

Perfect mix of tech and reality, from phones being great for calling, computers great for puttin' and games being great in the arcade for socializing

-You had convenience, but it wasn't overly convenient. It was dangerous to be last minute with anything.

- You could be surprised, currently I know everything about everything I enjoy without trying because of the internet.

- entertainment was actually more varied, right now entertainment gives you a ton of options but 90 percent of it low key is the same spin on the same thing told by different people.

- black entertainment wasn't all jokes or super stereotypical. You could turn on the TV and find black sitcoms almost as readily as white ones on basic tv.

It was a great mix of having access, but not 24/7 access to everything and everyone.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
In 98' KFC popcorn chicken was $0.99 then $1.99 for the same serving size folks paying $5+ for now.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Being a teen in the 90's >>>>>>>>>

I dunno who would choose to be a kid in the 90's. If you were given the choice I mean, as opposed to being a teenager.

Fred.

Biggest reason I’m glad I was a 90s kid is because I still hopefully have some 20s left when the pandemic ends :pachaha:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
@Savvir I think you have it slightly off, there's a middle-of-decade gradient that shapes your raising. I think if you were born between 1975-84, you're a "90s Baby". If you were born 1985-94, you're a "00s Baby". If you were born 1995-04, you're a "10s Baby"...

If you were born between 1985-89, we remember parts of the 90s but the oldest of us were 14, just barely teenagers, when the decade ended 12/31/99. Childhood adolescence shapes us a ton but your formative years are your bridge years between childhood and adulthood, aka your teenage years, and you can't have the majority of your teenage years in one decade and claim to be a son of the previous one...

I was born in '89, went to school with people born in '85 and '86, those aren't 90s heads to me. We all grew up in the same era, experiencing most of the same shyt because only a few years separated us. Aint nobody born in mid-80s or later a son of the 90s...

We all get overly nostalgic at eras that precede ours, kinda think thats human nature...

Culturally, shyt fell off around 05/06 and it’s not even close.

Music fell off.
Wrestling fell off.
Movies fell off.
Clubbing fell off.
Sports fell off.
Gaming fell waaaaay off (just for DLC alone)

You can’t tell me one aspect of any culture that improved once social media was introduced.

World Star was the final nail in the coffin for black culture.

Most of this stuff picked back up at some point in the 10s, though. Agree that mid/late 00s stretch brought a decline across genres/platforms...

The 90s was cool but many/most of us on here weren't even old enough to experience the era as anything besides children, so those of us really should contextualize the perspective we coming from. I was obviously really young then, I have a handful of memories from '93 and '94 and more clear memories from '95-99 but I'm not a son of the 90s, and I think anyone within a few years of me are similar...

90s were okay but, because I was a kid, I don't miss that era, wouldn't relive it if I had the chance! I grew up in the 00s and I have great memories of 2004-2006, I also really enjoyed 2009-2010, and 2013-2016. 90s mean nothing to me as basically a child, what the fukk could I do in the 90s lol. Those old enough to have experienced it as adults or prime teenage years I get the nostalgia, everyone else here is just gassing the 90s because it's the cool shyt to do...