KG (in response to Ant Man)- "If im being honest, I don't think anyone in this generation could've played 20 years ago"

Everythingg

King-Over-Kingz
Bushed
Daps
Out of all the wild shyt you've posted in this thread, this just might have eclipsed it all.

Malone wasn't even remotely comparable to Jokic, so how would he possibly have the same numbers/impact as him?

Jokic is the most versatile/talented scorer that's played at the 5, and can literally score in any type of situation, shoot any type of shot, against any type of defender, all over the floor. Whereas Malone was severely limited because his bag was shallow; he wasn't a 1v1 scorer, he relied far too much on face-up possessions, he didn't have an aggressive scoring mentality, and he didn't always have his finger on the pulse of the game (which led him to fading in and out of games far too often).

He benefited greatly from easy scoring opportunities, which were in abundance during the regular season, but when they dried up in the playoffs, his efficiency and effectiveneness more often that not came to a dead end.

Malone couldn't even dream of doing 1/10000000th of this shyt.

On one possession Jokic will come down and hit a one-legged fadeaway 20ft+ out without even looking at the rim, and the next possession he'll come down and torture you down low with multiple counters getting his defender to bite on every one, with a release on a hook that barely touches the net.

There's levels to this shyt and Malone isn't even in sight of where Jokic is.

And this is before we even address his playmaking -

You're out of your cotdamn mind if you think this was normal play in the 90s, as if every other big man was doing this shyt, let alone have the nerve to suggest Malone could've done the same. And as much of a spectacle as his passing is, it's not even the best thing about his playmaking. It's his game management, court mapping and ability to create generate offense for his teammates, which he is without a peer, not just among big men, but everyone.

He's the best to ever do it in that sense.

The '23 WCF and '24 1st round vs. Lakers, is the first time I've seen Bron beaten at his own game, so comprehensively, that no matter what he tried to do, Jokic would always answer with an even better run.

Jokic wouldn't even be allowed to play like modern day Jokic in the 90s. Webber could dribble better and pass just as good as Jokic but the 90s didn't allow him to play like Jokic is allowed to play. And that's with Webber playing comparable players at his position while Jokic only has to get up a couple of times a season with a center that's on his level. I wonder what Jokic would look like against centers like David Robinson, Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo etc...
:unimpressed:

Daps
Man, the 90s and 00s are gone and never coming back. You will never see those players play at a high level again, you will never see the players of today put on a time machine to go back to that time period, they have zero relevance today.

It’s time for the basketball world to move on. Y’all are robbing yourselves of being able to enjoy the great players of today because you can let go of the great players of the past

That’s just my two cents :manny:

You're right, it's time for these young "Odeee" tiktok zoomers to shut they fukkin mouths on their trash ass Sqaurespace sponsored podcasts regurgitating ignorant hot takes about older players they have no knowledge and appreciation of and move on. :manny:

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
Jokic wouldn't even be allowed to play like modern day Jokic in the 90s. Webber could dribble better and pass just as good as Jokic but the 90s didn't allow him to play like Jokic is allowed to play. And that's with Webber playing comparable players at his position while Jokic only has to get up a couple of times a season with a center that's on his level. I wonder what Jokic would look like against centers like David Robinson, Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo etc...
:unimpressed:
Jokic is great but we see what Embiid do to him in this era so shyt wouldn’t be easy for him banging in the 90’s

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You sound like a tik toker and not a fan of basketball. Real basketball fans appreciate every aspect from back then through current date. I hope y’all find a new thing soon

No, I sound like someone who’s able to appreciate the greatness from back then but have not become so clouded by nostalgia that I’m incapable of finding enjoyment in what’s in front of me today

I fell in love with the NBA because I loved basketball, not because I loved MJ or Kobe or Magic. And maybe that’s why it’s so hard for some of y’all to move on, bc y’all don’t even know how to watch the NBA without that attachment :hubie:

It’s gonna be a lot of great basketball played this season and I’m gonna enjoy it :ehh:

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
No, I sound like someone who’s able to appreciate the greatness from back then but have not become so clouded by nostalgia that I’m incapable of finding enjoyment in what’s in front of me today

I fell in love with the NBA because I loved basketball, not because I loved MJ or Kobe or Magic. And maybe that’s why it’s so hard for some of y’all to move on, bc y’all don’t even know how to watch the NBA without that attachment :hubie:

It’s gonna be a lot of great basketball played this season and I’m gonna enjoy it :ehh:
You know why McDonald’s is still so successful and relevant to the fast food market? Cause even after all these years they still sell big macs and fries

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You know why McDonald’s is still so successful and relevant to the fast food market? Cause even after all these years they still sell big macs and fries

Well in this situation the ingredients to the Big Mac went off the market 20 years ago and it’s never coming back on the menu

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
Well in this situation the ingredients to the Big Mac went off the market 20 years ago and it’s never coming back on the menu
In this situation the NBA protects and keep its golden era sacred in order to stay relevant with its core fan base. It’s business 101, y’all tik tokers are fickle and provide little if any life time value for a business.

The core fans are always going to appreciate the Bill Russell’s, KAJ, Dr J, Magic and Bird rivalry, Shaq and Kobe dynasty, Tim Duncan and the Spurs dynasty, the Heatles, Lebron’s longevity, the Warriors dynasty, Steph, KD and all the way up until now with the international dominance of Jokic,Luka,Giannis,SGA,Wemby etc..but most importantly the goat MJ.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In this situation the NBA protects and keep its golden era sacred in order to stay relevant with its core fan base. It’s business 101, y’all tik tokers are fickle and provide little if any life time value for a business.

The core fans are always going to appreciate the Bill Russell’s, KAJ, Dr J, Magic and Bird rivalry, Shaq and Kobe dynasty, Tim Duncan and the Spurs dynasty, the Heatles, Lebron’s longevity, the Warriors dynasty, Steph, KD and all the way up until now with the international dominance of Jokic,Luka,Giannis,SGA,Wemby etc..but most importantly the goat MJ.

The history and legends should be appreciated, honored and acknowledged

But they should not be a focal point of discourse around the league

Current NFL discourse does not feature a significant amount of conversation around constant comparisons to Jerry Rice, Barry, Montana, etc. and whether or not 90s stars could play today or vise versa. Same for baseball

The league has to move on

Everythingg

King-Over-Kingz
Bushed
Daps
Jokic is great but we see what Embiid do to him in this era so shyt wouldn’t be easy for him banging in the 90’s

Exactly. Theres no comparable centers to them so they get to eat almost every night.And a lot of players look a lot better than the past because of the way they're allowed to play. Nobody is allowing Giannis to play point PF in the 90's. They're putting him in the post and that would lessen his effectiveness. And CWebb was trying to play somewhat like Giannis and he was held back from doing it.

Like you said in this thread or the other one, once they figured Lebron had absolutely no chance of catching up to MJ, they started shytting on earlier eras and accomplishments to lessen the gap between them. And that gap between what MJ accomplished in 13 years (discounting the last 2 even) and what LBJ has accomplished in 21 years is the full career of KD. No chance is Lebron ever catching up so now they have to say "well he's ahead that much because of a shytty era/competition/rules" No other player was ever propped up like this till Lebron and its a force fed agenda at this point
:scust: :

This is like getting mad that someone likes 90's music over todays music :mjlol:

Who cares?

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly. Theres no comparable centers to them so they get to eat almost every night.And a lot of players look a lot better than the past because of the way they're allowed to play. Nobody is allowing Giannis to play point PF in the 90's. They're putting him in the post and that would lessen his effectiveness. And CWebb was trying to play somewhat like Giannis and he was held back from doing it.

Like you said in this thread or the other one, once they figured Lebron had absolutely no chance of catching up to MJ, they started shytting on earlier eras and accomplishments to lessen the gap between them. And that gap between what MJ accomplished in 13 years (discounting the last 2 even) and what LBJ has accomplished in 21 years is the full career of KD. No chance is Lebron ever catching up so now they have to say "well he's ahead that much because of a shytty era/competition/rules" No other player was ever propped up like this till Lebron and its a force fed agenda at this point
:scust: :

This is like getting mad that someone likes 90's music over todays music :mjlol:

Who cares?

Its a good thing I never said there was something wrong with liking the 90s or 00s NBA more than today’s NBA

Everythingg

King-Over-Kingz
Bushed
Daps
Its a good thing I never said there was something wrong with liking the 90s or 00s NBA more than today’s NBA

You're telling people that express their love of 90's basketball compared to today to move on :childplease:

A person that enjoys 90's music more than today's music can express that without being told to "move on" right? But in the basketball case, they're trying to retroactively go back and down the previous generations to prop this era up and its not even in defence in their era being attacked.And they only do that to prop up modern stars
:yeshrug:

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
You're telling people that express their love of 90's basketball compared to today to move on :childplease:

A person that enjoys 90's music more than today's music can express that without being told to "move on" right? But in the basketball case, they're trying to retroactively go back and down the previous generations to prop this era up and its not even in defence in their era being attacked.And they only do that to prop up modern stars
It’s a classic case of trying to lower the bar, shyt is pathetic.

fifth column

Superstar
Daps
The history and legends should be appreciated, honored and acknowledged

But they should not be a focal point of discourse around the league

Current NFL discourse does not feature a significant amount of conversation around constant comparisons to Jerry Rice, Barry, Montana, etc. and whether or not 90s stars could play today or vise versa. Same for baseball

The league has to move on
How did the league move on from the 80’s Magic and Bird to 90’s with MJ? The answer is to level up by competition and not with narratives.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Because you can praise 90s & 00s basketball without shytting on the current generation, the same way that you can praise the current gen without shytting on the previous ones. Or is that not the truth?

To try and frame it like people are being attacked for simply liking the 90s is disingenuous as hell. But when you start saying “(Insert current NBA star) would’ve been a role player in the 90s” and “(Insert 90s star) would average 40+ today” well then that takes the conversation to a different place.

It’s a fine line between preferring the 90s and constantly using comparisons & hypotheticals to get off hot takes. And the same goes for the ignorant ass Gen Z TikTokers.

The tribalism over eras is bizarre.

How did the league move on from the 80’s Magic and Bird to 90’s with MJ? The answer is to level up by competition and not with narratives.

You move on because his career is over, done and never coming back and therefore he should no longer a focal point in modern NBA discourse.

This is almost exclusively an NBA thing. NFL, MLB, NHL the focus is on the league today. People enjoy watching Justin Jefferson & Tyreek Hill without any care if they’re better than 00s receivers or if they’d put those numbers up in the 90s.

Those guys had their time, life has to go on.

Everythingg

King-Over-Kingz
Bushed
Daps
Because you can praise 90s & 00s basketball without shytting on the current generation, the same way that you can praise the current gen without shytting on the previous ones. Or is that not the truth?

To try and frame it like people are being attacked for simply liking the 90s is disingenuous as hell. But when you start saying “(Insert current NBA star) would’ve been a role player in the 90s” and “(Insert 90s star) would average 40+ today” well then that takes the conversation to a different place.

It’s a fine line between preferring the 90s and constantly using comparisons & hypotheticals to get off hot takes. And the same goes for the ignorant ass Gen Z TikTokers.

The tribalism over eras is bizarre.

Its mostly the new gen shytting on the old gen though. Remember MJ is the only skilled player? His era was filled with plumbers? Retroactively going back and saying MJ didn't deserve certain accomplishments? So I agree the tribalism is weird and that one doesn't have to shyt on the other but it seems to be coming from the new gen.

And I grew up on Kobe's era, not 90's ball and have also seen older gens shyt on newer gens but its because as time goes on the game is being made easier. Same thing with football where you can't hit the QB in ways that past QB's got hit, making the game easier for current gen QB's.Older gen is gonna see that and comment on how it would be easier to play in this era, it aint like they lying when the game is purposely being made easier to create more offences...