Kevin Durant will be forgotten in time, and be eclipsed by players playing right now...and this is not an unprecedented phenomenon

Mars

Superstar
Daps
I didn’t minimize any rings in my posts.:manny:

Well.....You did say "Hakeem didn't need superteams to win his titles"...which sort of indirectly takes a shot at the players who did win with so-called superteams....but again....I don't disagree with you if your comment was directed at KD...Hakeem had to carry the load while KD went to a 73-win team that had a back-to-back reigning MVP on the roster.

RedBull

All Star
Daps
Reppin
On KRS One's nose, eating sunflower seeds.
Well.....You did say "Hakeem didn't need superteams to win his titles"...which sort of indirectly takes a shot at the players who did win with so-called superteams....but again....I don't disagree with you if your comment was directed at KD...Hakeem had to carry the load while KD went to a 73-win team that had a back-to-back reigning MVP on the roster.
:pachaha: Breh I never said that. @UpAndComing did.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Thread is random as hell

What's with the Dr. J hate? He hasn't played in the league for almost 40 years lol, how many basketball players from that era do the kids these days recognize? None of them, because kids are casual as hell when it comes to sports. Just like in 40 years from now the kids will barely recognize any of today's stars.

If you are trying to make a point that KD will be forgotten in the future, don't use such comparisons, cause Dr. J is considered one of the first true superstars of American basketball. And then you proceed to disrespect Hakeem who actually won his two championships by carrying a quite mediocre supporting cast, destroying the MVP winner David Robinson who gave his best shot and couldn't do shyt against Hakeem.

Hakeem been in a top 10 of all time discussion for a while. KD never cracked there and never will. So no, they are not in the same tier. KD is one step below.

However I do agree that KD will be more forgotten than some of the superstars from his era. He obviously wasn't as popular as Bron, Kobe, Curry and some of the others.

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
:mjlol:

If people in here actually saw Bird play this wouldn't even be a question

Larry Bird and LeBron are really really close to me for the greatest SF ever

Larry Bird was better than KD it's not even up for debate
Having seen Bird, where do you have him All-Time? Because I can definitely remember him being viewed as almost a Top 5 lock, and today when these lists or conversations pop up he's at the bottom of the Top 10...

I never heard anyone or anything rank Kobe over him until the past half-decade or so, and that was even in Kobe's height of his career. Now mf's get offended if you have Bird over Kobe...

Time has changed the view of Bird's career. I dont think Bird and Bron are close but I didnt see him play; I definitely agree that Durant isnt really close to him...
If any posters haven’t actually seen Akeem, Bird, and Kareem play in real time, then your opinion is nil. Calling any of those players overrated is ridiculous.
Kareem didnt become this Top 3 lock, arguably the GOAT until the Bron/Mike talk picked up steam 11-12 years ago. Pre-2012, while he was always acknowledged as one of the greatest players ever, it was more in that arguably Top 5, somewhere between 5 and 8 range...

The consensus had Magic, Bird, and Russell ahead of him for decades. Then when Bron rises into this conversation, its "dont leave out Kareem", and all of a sudden he jumps to arguably #1, Top 3 lock. Mf's now act like it should be a given that he's over Russell, Bird, or Magic----->but that aint what people who saw these guys play thought in real time, and thats documented in the coverage of the time. We all got Google...
The 2 rings KD won with GS elevated Curry's legacy more than it did Durants.
This is definitely arguable...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I remember very well when Duncan was going on his run in the 00s, it's honestly really comparable to how they cover Jokic now. Two foreigners who just played ball because they were good at it but would rather do other shyt and didnt care about accolades or media...

Anyway, my point is that when Duncan was dominating he was on that "how high can he get" watch, and Kareem wasn't the bar he was compared to. It was Russell (there were comps that Duncan was the closest defensive comp to Russell in a modern sense, and comps between his Spurs and the C's); Magic, Bird (young guys who hit The League eating shyt ASAP and ran up chips); and Mike who of course is the consensus GOAT and was then...

Kareem was not the bar, bit then the thing today is kind of a silent understanding of Kareem being way over Duncan...

Kareem is overrated by the standard of where he was thought of a dozen plus years ago, and where he's held now...

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
If the rumors are true that KD just loves to hoop, and can stay healthy, then his longevity in the league works heavily in his favor. If Durant plays for 4 more years, his total numbers will add up. If he plays 5 more healthy years, he'll come close to Kareem's all time scoring numbers. That will definitely help KD's legacy. Without another title or at least another MVP, will it put him in the all-time top 10? Probably not.

Anyone who think's KD belongs in the same convo as Larry Bird is ignorant AF. Watch his games, listen to his peers (Many in the all time top 10 list), or fans who had to watch their home team go up against him, talk about Larry Bird. Dude was the Undertaker (WWE) of the NBA during his era.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
hakeem was underrated

now he's overrated

people didnt fear or care about hakeem like that
he was just existing most of his career and good

this forum is cooked because you cant base potential or stats or wins on a comparative basis

moses, hakeem and KD are all very different players with different careers

KD was never going to be considered GOAT ... leaving Brooklyn or GSW just wasted crazy amount of time off his career
I personally never understood leaving multiple teams when you can be the Team leader in points or whatever stat. None of these dudes are leaving bad teams and they all paid the price without identity or legacy... I feel no pity for them choosing to water down their life

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
11Having seen Bird, where do you have him All-Time? Because I can definitely remember him being viewed as almost a Top 5 lock, and today when these lists or conversations pop up he's at the bottom of the Top 10...

I never heard anyone or anything rank Kobe over him until the past half-decade or so, and that was even in Kobe's height of his career. Now mf's get offended if you have Bird over Kobe...

Time has changed the view of Bird's career. I dont think Bird and Bron are close but I didnt see him play; I definitely agree that Durant isnt really close to him...

Kareem didnt become this Top 3 lock, arguably the GOAT until the Bron/Mike talk picked up steam 11-12 years ago. Pre-2012, while he was always acknowledged as one of the greatest players ever, it was more in that arguably Top 5, somewhere between 5 and 8 range...

The consensus had Magic, Bird, and Russell ahead of him for decades. Then when Bron rises into this conversation, its "dont leave out Kareem", and all of a sudden he jumps to arguably #1, Top 3 lock. Mf's now act like it should be a given that he's over Russell, Bird, or Magic----->but that aint what people who saw these guys play thought in real time, and thats documented in the coverage of the time. We all got Google...

This is definitely arguable...

I remember very well when Duncan was going on his run in the 00s, it's honestly really comparable to how they cover Jokic now. Two foreigners who just played ball because they were good at it but would rather do other shyt and didnt care about accolades or media...

Anyway, my point is that when Duncan was dominating he was on that "how high can he get" watch, and Kareem wasn't the bar he was compared to. It was Russell (there were comps that Duncan was the closest defensive comp to Russell in a modern sense, and comps between his Spurs and the C's); Magic, Bird (young guys who hit The League eating shyt ASAP and ran up chips); and Mike who of course is the consensus GOAT and was then...

Kareem was not the bar, bit then the thing today is kind of a silent understanding of Kareem being way over Duncan...

Kareem is overrated by the standard of where he was thought of a dozen plus years ago, and where he's held now...
Dude, I'm tired of this Kareem slander you keep spewing in every basketball thread which is fugazi as shyt...

For someone that follows the game so acutely you should know that the GOAT argument wasn't something really seen until Bird/Magic or really the 90s....

As a matter of fact, I remember a strong argument for Larry Bird being GOAT in 1986 before Magic went on to win more championships.

It needs to be pointed out though that in the year before that, in the 2nd year of Bird's three consecutive MVP years, and with homecourt advantage, Bird was thoroughly outplayed by a 38 year old Kareem in the 1985 Finals, with the Lakers winning and Kareem getting FMVP after having more points, rebounds, assists and blocks than Bird did in that series. This was Bird at his absolute peak being dominated by Kareem at 38 years old.

Kareem wasn't very cozy with the media and the public which is why isn't as received as Jordan, Magic, Russell, or other players during his time.

Mind you this was during the 70s when OJ was taking off in media and with the public, the NBA had public persona issue with cocaince use, and Kareem just wasn't media personality like OJ/MJ/ Other MJ.

Historically context is very important when discussing Kareem just like it is any player.....

Edit:

The Lakers’ Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was voted the greatest player in the history of the NBA

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
who am i propping up?

And what critical and important nba thread have you ever made in your entire life? In fact, what do you even contribute to The Coli? :heh:

This dude @Thavoiceofthevoiceless :mjlol:

What is wrong with this topic? People have been comparing players from different eras for decades. In all sports.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
This dude @Thavoiceofthevoiceless :mjlol:

What is wrong with this topic? People have been comparing players from different eras for decades. In all sports.
It’s a difference between comparing different eras and giving shyt on someone’s legacy just to prop up another.

NBA discussion isn’t even close to being the same and toxic as other sports so don’t even start it :mjlol: