Kerry Washington: “I Would Not Have Done ‘Scandal’ If President Were Black”

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The threadstarter is reaching, and is also LAZY by not posting the full article...1 Star :smh:

In the latest issue of “Ebony,” Hollywood’s latest “It Girl,” Kerry Washington, who graces the cover, says that she would have passed on the role of Olivia Pope if the White, married president that she has a steamy affair with on the show had been Black.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, then you know that ABC’s Scandal is the break out hit of the season and Washington is riding high off the success of both the television series and the most controversial movie of 2012, Django Unchained.

Still, she — or rather her Scandal character Olivia– is not beloved by all.

The scandalous nature of her relationship with the POTUS on the show does not escape Washington, who says that is exactly why she would have passed on the role if the character were played by a Black man.

Excerpt from EBONY interview:

“I was a little concerned because [the character has] a scandalous relationship with the [occupant of the] White House,” the actress said. “I thought, ‘If the president on the show is Black, I will not do the show.’ Because to me, it was too important a moment. I didn’t want to do anything that compromised my relationship with the [president] or that made it seem like I had an insider view on the Obama presidency. I thought that would be so disrespectful and so against all the work that I had done.”

Washington has long been a vocal and active supporter of President Obama and gave a powerful speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2012.

The ‘Ebony’ Scandal Issue hit newsstands February 5.

kerry-washington-obama.jpg

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I've always thought that she was part of that "something new" movement amongst black women. I just don't trust those kind of women.

Reverend Jesse Jackson

Somebody I Am
Daps
It is more of a disrespect to future black president(s). A black president needs to be a normal thing from now on. Why would she feel it is disrespectful if the show has a black president that isn't Obama? But it is OK that it is a white president?

Deetee

Notorious Lurker
Daps
Reppin
T.Dot
She's a cac lover. Acting as if her career wouldn't have still needed the role if the president wasn't white.