Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
To me he's saying that its not a good idea to have a baby without financial security first.

That's the message on the surface, but if you continue the theme that the girl represents the government and her temptation to get him to overspend, then I'd say it's more about the evils of thots puttin nikkas on child support.

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
in my opinion i always get a defining album every 3-5 years thats just :ohmy:

1998- 400 degreez

2001- Blueprint

2005- Be

2010- Krit Wuz Here

2015- To Pimp a Butterfly

I went back and REALLY listened to section 80 and GKMC and this nikka 3 for 3. 3 straight 5 mic albums. And all the albums i listed above i consider 5 mics ( yes i know KWH is a tape).

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
That's the message on the surface, but if you continue the theme that the girl represents the government and her temptation to get him to overspend, then I'd say it's more about the evils of thots puttin nikkas on child support.
He says "you think we could have a baby named Mercedes without"

I took it as trying to have something even if you can't afford it. Taken into context I thought it made sense but it's interesting seeing your guy's thoughts.

"Couldn't afford a car so she named her daughter Alexis"

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
To be honest..the only rapper that has potential to go head to head with this album is Ye...

But i don't even know..and I'm a Ye fan :damn:

And don't even ask me about Drake...VFT6 will not even come CLOSE to topping this..

Sorry but nothing that Kanye released from this album so far is on par with this. I think we have reached the point where a lot of the guys who kanye inspired are passing him up musically.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Just walked my dog and put this on in the headphones while doing so. It improved IMMENSELY. Even King Kunta was jammin'. Only made it up to These Walls. Will finish the rest at the gym manana. My hunch is I'll end up up feeling it way more.

My next hunch is this album can be excellent and wildly overrated simultaneously. Moments like this are when I miss the way music used to be experienced pre internet.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
This passed the car test and gym test :wow:

I can only listen to it if I start it from track one

I'm the same way. All my favorite favorite albums are that way including Illmatic, Untitled, Life Is Good, The Blueprint, Reasonable Doubt, Distant Relatives, Aquemini, Below The Heavens, Supreme Clientele, OBFCL, The Cool and GKMC. It FEELS like a disservice to the work of art to NOT listen to the whole thing, to experience the shaping of the full picture, to comprehend the unifying themes. I absolutely LOVE albums of that caliber man where enjoying the entire album is more fulfilling than just picking through a few highlights.

I WILL say that I run How Much A Dollar Cost back at least TWICE per listen, that song is conceptual perfection:blessed:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Weird but I'd like to know what Prince thinks of this album and Kendrick in general lol
http://pitchfork.com/news/56882-pri...-lamar-during-album-release-party-livestream/

Last night, Prince threw a Yahoo-sponsored record release party to celebrate his two new albums, Art Official Age and PlectrumElectrum (the latter recorded with his band 3rdEyeGirl). During his performance, he brought out Kendrick Lamar to perform "What's My Name", a rarity from 1998's CrystalBall box set.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Kendrick already "broke through" so to speak with his wins for "I" this year so he's definitely no longer a "black sheep" so to speak. He's a true critical and media darling in the vein of 2003-04 era Kanye West. His talent DEMANDS respect.

I'm still HIGHLY pissed that Nas got shafted in 2013 with Life Is Good. There's no goddamn way that Take fukking Care was a better album than LIG or that nikkas In Paris was a better WRITTEN song than Daughters. I'd truly hope that the Hip Hop voters are starting to awaken to the fact that our mainstream representation of the ART does in fact send a message to the overall culture. And I'm not talking in terms of "white acceptance" or that a Grammy "validates" you. I'm talking on a larger scale, the music that gets rewarded and gets the push shapes how the industry in turn promotes the genre. We're at a point right now, where it feels like we are entering an era where there is a renewed focus on lyricism and craft over stunting, trap, and bullshyt filler music. If we want to make sure that this current path continues its momentum we NEED to do all that we can as fans and Artists to show that this is indeed what we prefer. Whether it be with our wallets in purchasing albums or with our votes in rewarding the music that we deem superior

:clap:

Kendrick and Cole are needed to steer this culture to the right direction where quality and replayability should be the norm, but superficial crap is all on our stereos. K.Dot is living up to the hype, and more importantly, his worth as a young MC and leader.

Lost His Smile

Stop Existing.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 12th Dimension
I was tripping on some psyches and let it repeat it self; my next the listening sessions were with some herb and found it to be more enjoyable than tripping.

Gonna give another...just got off work, drink some brews and let it :blessed:.

IMO Kendrick and Curren$y pretty consistent just in different lanes.

Amazon isn't showing a vinyl version? Is there going to be one released. I know MKGC LP took awhile to come out.

Last edited: