Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I like a lot of the tracks on the albums,except "i", "u", "King Kunta", "Institutionalized", "Hood Politics", and "Blacker the Berry". Those have not grown on me yet, but I'm also not gonna force myself to keep listening to "force" myself to like them. Wouldn't do that for any artist.

Wouldn't say it's holistically better than GKMC right now. The story and thought process are definitely more "passionate" and complicated on TPAB to me, but GKMC has a way better overall flow to it, imo. TPAB has good music though.

I honestly hate that people still compare the two. They clearly occupy two different lanes of rap; neither being "better" than the other, but just best at what they choose to focus their energy on. If Kendrick decides to start making party songs, that doesn't mean he's not a good rapper. If Drake goes back to his old ways or raps about a different subject, that doesn't make him the best rapper.

And it really does a disservice to all the great strides hip-hop has made in so many lanes and the history of hip-hop as well (something that did start largely as a party genre). I can't picture the game without Jay or Nas even though they make very 2 different types, but very influential music. Jay has taken hip-hop places Nas could never, but Nas' subject matter shyts on Jay's. Both are needed.

People need to stop using the two as some sort of flex/credit to their rap taste. It's music. Enjoy it. Both are 100 at what they do and will do great and different things with the genre.

:heh: That's a lot of tracks to not like and among some of the best ones.

DaChampIsHere

Survive the drought
Daps
Reppin
Great Pyramids of Giza
:heh: That's a lot of tracks to not like and among some of the best ones.
Thanks for sharing your opinion with me.

Listening to some old Outkast songs and for the people who say Kendrick flow is similar to theirs can yall mind elaborating because I dont see shyt how their similar. Especially 2PAB. I see ZERO Outkast influence. So where the heck does this Outkast myth come from?
The whole album really sounds like a "copy" (saying "copy" very loosely, maybe "inspired" would be a better word) to 90s/00s Atlanta rap, part of the reason I like it. Reminds me a lot of Goodie Mob, Outkast, etc. from a music and "aggression" standpoint.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
I like a lot of the tracks on the albums,except "i", "u", "King Kunta", "Institutionalized", "Hood Politics", and "Blacker the Berry". Those have not grown on me yet, but I'm also not gonna force myself to keep listening to "force" myself to like them. Wouldn't do that for any artist.

Wouldn't say it's holistically better than GKMC right now. The story and thought process are definitely more "passionate" and complicated on TPAB to me, but GKMC has a way better overall flow to it, imo. TPAB has good music though.

I honestly hate that people still compare the two. They clearly occupy two different lanes of rap; neither being "better" than the other, but just best at what they choose to focus their energy on. If Kendrick decides to start making party songs, that doesn't mean he's not a good rapper. If Drake goes back to his old ways or raps about a different subject, that doesn't make him the best rapper.

And it really does a disservice to all the great strides hip-hop has made in so many lanes and the history of hip-hop as well (something that did start largely as a party genre). I can't picture the game without Jay or Nas even though they make very 2 different types, but very influential music. Jay has taken hip-hop places Nas could never, but Nas' subject matter shyts on Jay's. Both are needed.

People need to stop using the two as some sort of flex/credit to their rap taste. It's music. Enjoy it. Both are 100 at what they do and will do great and different things with the genre.

:bryan: Stop that

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
The whole album really sounds like a "copy" (saying "copy" very loosely, maybe "inspired" would be a better word) to 90s/00s Atlanta rap, part of the reason I like it. Reminds me a lot of Goodie Mob, Outkast, etc. from a music and "aggression" standpoint.

These are just my ears but I did not hear any 90s/00s influence in this album, especially this album having predominate Jazz influence. Again just my ears.

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Listening to some old Outkast songs and for the people who say Kendrick flow is similar to theirs can yall mind elaborating because I dont see shyt how their similar. Especially 2PAB. I see ZERO Outkast influence. So where the heck does this Outkast myth come from?
You can't see 3000 flowing like Kendrick did on the 3rd verse if "You ain't gotta lie"?

Kendrick puts his own twist on it so it's not straight biting but it's definitely inspired by that era of rap.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I can't stop listening to How Much A Dollar Cost.

shyt is speaking to me. :to:
The end literally had me :ohhh: with the reveal at the end

"Know the truth, it'll set you free...
You're looking at the Messiah, the son of Jehova, the higher power
The choir that spoke the word, the Holy Spirit, the nerve of Nazareth..."
:lawd:

MouseTeeth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I shouldn't have to force myself to like an album....just not seeing what the hype is here....it's not even close to as good as GKMC....nothing jumps out at u on this shyt(except blacker the berry)....overall the production didnt really move me...good music is supposed to catch your attention immediately....fukk all this "I gotta soak it in and contemplate its deeper meanings" BS....shyt is just not that hot ...2015= yr of the hype beast I swear....now let the negs reign

Kendrick Stans= nas Stans at this point

Oh and IYRTITL is so much better than this and it's not even close

• Dap
Reactions: IVS
Daps
I shouldn't have to force myself to like an album....just not seeing what the hype is here....it's not even close to as good as GKMC....nothing jumps out at u on this shyt(except blacker the berry)....overall the production didnt really move me...good music is supposed to catch your attention immediately....fukk all this "I gotta soak it in and contemplate its deeper meanings" BS....shyt is just not that hot ...2015= yr of the hype beast I swear....now let the negs reign

You ain't gotta lie to kick it, my nikka

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
after first listen i was :patrice: and by 3rd listen im like
2wfomqe.gif

nicca came thru and crushed the buildings with something completely left field from his debut album :wow:

any nicca that dont like it is boo boo :pacspit:

eerieBell

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da Magnolia

Just admit you the type of nikka who listens to music only to bob ya head and nothing else. Go listen to radio breh :ld:

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
I'm thinking how they are able to use inter-sentence rhyme and the change of voice to fit the mood of certain songs

Dre (from Aqumeni)
My mind warps and bends floats the wind count to ten
meet the twin Andre Ben. welcome to the lion's den
original skin many men comprehend
I extend myself so you go out & tell a friend
Sin
all depends on what you believing in
Faith is what you make it that's the hardest shyt since MC Ren
Alien
can blend right on in wit' yo' kin
look again 'cause I swear I spot one every now & then
It's happenin' again wish I could tell you when
Andre this is Andre y'all just gon' have to make amends

KDot (Backseat Freestyle)
I've got twenty-five lighters on my dresser, yes sir
Put fire to that ass, body cast on a stretcher
And her body got that ass that a ruler couldn't measure
And it make me cum fast but I never get embarrassed
And I recognize you have what I've been wanting since that record
That Adina Howard had pop it fast to impress her
She rolling, I'm holding my scrotum and posing
This voice here is golden, so fukk y'all, I goes in

most advanced rappers do this,but the cadence(flow) of both Kendricks and Dre are said to match not sure how I can prove it ,

i'm not some OG rap nerd so who knows

Last edited:

MouseTeeth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Just admit you the type of nikka who listens to music only to bob ya head and nothing else. Go listen to radio breh :ld:

Nah not even, lyrics r number one to me n this album is lyrically dope but it's gotta b the full package...GKMC was, this isn't ...how's an album gonna b a 10/10 if the beats aren't dope?

And I do listen to music to bop my head/evoke a physical reaction as that's what most great music primarily does so I don't see what your saying but to each his own