Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Right?!?!? absoul's outro and rigamortis are the first hing to come to my mind

although this album had a lot more sounds going at the same time, jazz isn't anything new except for the turn up crowd
Real shyt. I loved good kid....I feel it's a classic. But low key I was nervous we'd never hear kendrick go back to the jazz roots he started with. When I heard the untitled track on colbert I started to gain hope again. But I still didn't think he'd drop an entire album so deeply influenced by jazz/soul. This album really got me feelin good inside. I have anger issues sometimes and this album got me like fukk negativity....life is too short for pettiness. Kendrick out here changing lives:blessed:

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
Am I the only one who thought Dr. Dre produced "How Much A Dollar Cost" at first?

At first i thought it was Dre

Then i thought it was Pharell

Then i looked at the credits

Who ever produced that song must be unknown cause he/she dont have a wiki page.

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
Kendricks flow at the start of the 3rd verse of You Ain't Gotta Lie, I know I've heard it before does anyone know where?

Or you, the truth you love to bend
In the back, in the bed, on the floor, that's your ho
On the couch, in the mouth, I'll be out, really though
So loud, rich nikkas got low money

Right at the 2:09 mark

:win:

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North

Exactly. So all this Drake vs. Kendrick shyt can die. EVEN if Drake was being half-way about it (which, honestly, I guess we'll never know).. eventually holding onto something as small as the Control verse for so many years would just make you look stupid. Especially considering it was all love on Kendrick's end. That shyt needs to be posted in every Drake vs Kendrick thread. Case closed.

JCalli

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Real shyt. I loved good kid....I feel it's a classic. But low key I was nervous we'd never hear kendrick go back to the jazz roots he started with. When I heard the untitled track on colbert I started to gain hope again. But I still didn't think he'd drop an entire album so deeply influenced by jazz/soul. This album really got me feelin good inside. I have anger issues sometimes and this album got me like fukk negativity....life is too short for pettiness. Kendrick out here changing lives:blessed:

I didn't think he would drop an album so unapologetically black with so much jazz and funk (:blessed:), but with the team around him I never had any doubts about him not going back to that sound.

I got nothing but the highest of praise for him.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
I don't get this. It's the same critique that people give Lupe - and we destroy it every time.

A conceptual album SHOULD NOT be digested in one sitting. In fact, anyone buying the album expecting to listen to it less than 10 times in the first day should just leave the album alone. You should expect to listen to this over and over and over again. You should expect to invest time in this. Once you understand the concepts, it no longer becomes music that you have to interpret. Once you get the metaphors and themes, you don't need to "listen" because your understanding is second nature.

Think of it as learning a new language. When you're first learning it, everything is super complex and all words/syllables are confusing and just a bunch of clusterfukks. Once you're comfortable with it, you're able to respond naturally and speak fluently. Once you become familiar with certain words and concepts, listening is no longer a burden.
You shouldn't need to learn a new language to enjoy music.

Surely you understand that? If an album is ever a "burden" - that's surely a negative? Ice Cube's Death Certificate was never a burden at any point not It Takes a Nation..

I agree, you're not going to digest an album like this quickly. I said that from jump. It's a painstakingly written and produced album. But it's perfectly valid to be off-put by that. Not all albums are this dense, so obviously not everyone is going to dig it.

The one true problem I have with the record is the way he tries to spell everything out with some of the long skits and interludes.
I don't get this. It's the same critique that people give Lupe - and we destroy it every time.

A conceptual album SHOULD NOT be digested in one sitting. In fact, anyone buying the album expecting to listen to it less than 10 times in the first day should just leave the album alone. You should expect to listen to this over and over and over again. You should expect to invest time in this. Once you understand the concepts, it no longer becomes music that you have to interpret. Once you get the metaphors and themes, you don't need to "listen" because your understanding is second nature.

Think of it as learning a new language. When you're first learning it, everything is super complex and all words/syllables are confusing and just a bunch of clusterfukks. Once you're comfortable with it, you're able to respond naturally and speak fluently. Once you become familiar with certain words and concepts, listening is no longer a burden.
You shouldn't need to learn a new language to enjoy music.

Surely you understand that? If an album is ever a "burden" - that's surely a negative? Ice Cube's Death Certificate was never a burden at any point not It Takes a Nation..

I agree, you're not going to digest an album like this quickly. I said that from jump. It's a painstakingly written and produced album. But it's perfectly valid to be off-put by that. Not all albums are this dense, so obviously not everyone is going to dig it.

The one true problem I have with the record is the way he tries to spell everything out with some of the long skits and interludes
Oh please.
It captures the essence without a doubt.
The intro alone would not sound of out place on "Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow" or "Cosmic Slop".
I half expected to hear George Clinton say "FREE YO MIND AND YO ASS WILL FOLLOW" :damn:
on "Wesley's theory".

With that said the album isn't trying to BE those Genre's, it's drawing from them.
There's influence and then there's a pastiche, this album is the former, NOT the latter.

This is a damned lie b. Like I mentioned before - all of Funkadelic's work has this immense sense of freedom in all of the music and lyrics. Just grooving and funking out. Even a powerful record like "March.." has such deep grooves and guitar solo's. You could not listen to the words on Cosmic Slop (title track - extended version preferrably) and just wig out to the funk and guitars. Cosmic Slop is one of my favourite records ever. This might sound arrogant but negus can't test me Funkadelic. This K dot album isn't nearly as immediately as enjoyable, fun, funky, make you want to get up and dance or play air guitar. Like I say every OutKast album feels immediately fun and enjoyable that's the George Clinton spirit. This album has some of he markers but none of the spirit in the music. Lyrically the spirit is there. But the literal funk? Nope. What good is funk sounds without actually being funky?

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Let's get this outta the way, "Fun" is subjective, what brings YOU enjoyment, won't necessarily
bring the next man enjoyment.
WHAT IS UNDENIABLE HERE THOUGH is the music takes OBVIOUS cues from "Funk" music.

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx

how long before taylor swift start wearing dashikis. she feeling that radical black content:shaq:

kendrick gonna be like this during the simmer

maxresdefault.jpg

and taylor gonna be like this ...