Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY
I agree. They help bring the album to life but they also bog it down when just casually listening to this album. Not even sure if that's possible to do with this record tho.

But If I'm hearing the album 6 plus listens in don't need Em in there. Just take the songs as they are. Gym/whip ready version minus the interludes

I feel what you're saying though!! I personally don't mind them because they are important to the concept.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
Some of you need to get past your stanning/ hate for an artist and enjoy music...

From the intro I knew it was gonna be :banderas:, he is such a good story teller. It is talent to have two albums like this, them be different but the flow, what he does, be the same. I was wondering what he was going to do because you can't do GKMC again. Can't do TPAB again either. On King Kunta, I see James brown in this but am I the only one that was also reminded of DJ Quik :hamster:

Anyway I love it can't stop playing it. Like even when I think about listening to something else its just like nah. I also want a insturmental album too hmmm

Last edited:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Posted this in another thread.

. I like trap music, I like Prince. I listen to Funkadelic & Gil-Scott Heron as much as I do Future & Gucci Mane. It's music, it's there to be enjoyed and to make me feel some type of way.

Overall, I don't think the execution of the album was great. It's such a thick and dense record that it's probably too long. I think if you make a record like this you need 3 or 4 easily digested records or you make it 3 or 4 records shorter. There's so many themes and ideas to this that in this day and age after 30 mins. all people have taken from the record is "this sounds jazzy, spoken-word like, Kendrick's got his dashiki on...". It is a record that's going to take for me, a few weeks to properly digest. I need to listen with no distractions or on autopilot. It's not GKMC where you can jam the first half of the record and like it without really listening.

I don't get this. It's the same critique that people give Lupe - and we destroy it every time.

A conceptual album SHOULD NOT be digested in one sitting. In fact, anyone buying the album expecting to listen to it less than 10 times in the first day should just leave the album alone. You should expect to listen to this over and over and over again. You should expect to invest time in this. Once you understand the concepts, it no longer becomes music that you have to interpret. Once you get the metaphors and themes, you don't need to "listen" because your understanding is second nature.

Think of it as learning a new language. When you're first learning it, everything is super complex and all words/syllables are confusing and just a bunch of clusterfukks. Once you're comfortable with it, you're able to respond naturally and speak fluently. Once you become familiar with certain words and concepts, listening is no longer a burden.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I agree. They help bring the album to life but they also bog it down when just casually listening to this album. Not even sure if that's possible to do with this record tho.

But If I'm hearing the album 6 plus listens in don't need Em in there. Just take the songs as they are. Gym/whip ready version minus the interludes
I agree with you 100%. After the first few listens to "get" that it goes with the concept, I don't need to hear them everytime I play the album.

It's important to the story/message of the album, but not something that's not skippable for me.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't get this. It's the same critique that people give Lupe - and we destroy it every time.

A conceptual album SHOULD NOT be digested in one sitting. In fact, anyone buying the album expecting to listen to it less than 10 times in the first day should just leave the album alone. You should expect to listen to this over and over and over again. You should expect to invest time in this. Once you understand the concepts, it no longer becomes music that you have to interpret. Once you get the metaphors and themes, you don't need to "listen" because your understanding is second nature.

Think of it as learning a new language. When you're first learning it, everything is super complex and all words/syllables are confusing and just a bunch of clusterfukks. Once you're comfortable with it, you're able to respond naturally and speak fluently. Once you become familiar with certain words and concepts, listening is no longer a burden.
:whoo:

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
Album is mediocre as fux. But I know I'm here in Kendrickastan so I should not expect and real objective reviews. I guess we've been so inundated with trash, this looks like gold although it's just lyrically copper wrapped in silver production.

Fourth and most likely last listen. I still don't buy into the hype.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It's crazy, but I love the verses and the hook and concept of Wesley's Theory... but I find that the beat doesn't compliment everything else as good as I think it could. It starting off with that dope sample, "Every nikka is a star" then it gets into the beat of the song, idk man, wish it was more of a traditional hiphop beat for that song

:francis:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Album is mediocre as fux. But I know I'm here in Kendrickastan so I should not expect and real objective reviews. I guess we've been so inundated with trash, this looks like gold although it's just lyrically copper wrapped in silver production.
tumblr_n50m82ZK1x1qlyfm1o4_400.gif

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Can both of y'all explain ?
if u seen the movie lucy, u will know that during the movie..lucy was the carrier of all things knowledgable, she was pretty much a supreme being...1nce that drug took over her body n she became a super computer

imo kendrick is playin on shyt she said in the movie...1nce she changed from human to somethin out of this world...

she said "i am everywhere"...

then ..near the end when everything went to reverse...from present day...to the big bang...she says.."Life was given to us a billion years ago. Now you know what to do with it."

also lucy gave morgan freemans character all kinds of unknown info..about life...

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Some of you need to get past your stanning/ hate for an artist and enjoy music...

From the intro I knew it was gonna be :banderas:, he is such a good story teller. It is talent to have two albums like this, them be different but the flow, what he does, be the same. I was wondering what he was going to do because you can't do GKMC again. Can't do TPAB again either. On King Kunta, I see James brown in this but am I the only one that was also reminded of DJ Quik :hamster:

Anyway I love it can't stop playing it. Like even when I think about listening to something else its just like nah. I also want a insturmental album too hmmm

Yeah, I also thought King Kunta was reminscent of DJ Quik. Hell, the way he does the hook sounds similar to Suga Free. The beat sounds straight up like Quik tho, to whereas I was actually surprised that it wasn't him behind the boards.