Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
damn Kenny can't win, nikka got fake black activists boycotting and attacking him

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
something just hit me. On u:

A friend never leave Compton for profit or leave his best friend
Little brother, you promised you’d watch him before they shot him
Where was your antennas, on the road, bottles and bytches

(later)

Where's your antennas, where is the influence you speak of?
You preached in front of 100,000 but never reached her

Butterfly_LABELS.jpg

:ohhh:

6ufl7vt-png.2969

g-ice

aka #DiamondNightmare
Daps
Reppin
Bronx (Marble Hill), NY
I loved this shyt first listen, but this album flows much better minus the interludes. Just a better listening experience without those 2 tracks.

No, those two interludes are detrimental to the concept of the album once you understand it. You need those interludes in there.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
2nd half of the song is the issue.

I liked the sound of that track he did with BJ the Chicago Kid a few years ago where he was crying during the verse. That song and the crying/rapping he had on that is much better than what's on U. I will say that the hook, "Loving you is complicated" is stuck in my head though.

not to mention Game and I'm sure other rappers have cried on the track/through a verse

Daps
No, those two interludes are detrimental to the concept of the album once you understand it. You need those interludes in there.

I agree. They help bring the album to life but they also bog it down when just casually listening to this album. Not even sure if that's possible to do with this record tho.

But If I'm hearing the album 6 plus listens in don't need Em in there. Just take the songs as they are. Gym/whip ready version minus the interludes

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Once u get out the GKMC mindset and open up to this and take it in you'll feel it. Samething with Lupe's Tetsuo & Youth. I was in the Logic's Under Pressure mindset goin into it. So once u clear your head and take in the overall feel of these projects u will be amazed.

This is a very important concept that people don't understand. Clearing your mind before you got to a movie, or listen to a cd is akin to growing up, maturing and not giving a fukk about other people's opinons. You have to sit down with the music and form your OWN opinion of it. You have to sit back and check your biases. What external factors, not related to the actual music, would keep you from listening( e.g. you're tired, you hate work, you've been listening to a completely different genre).

Most people can't do this because they HAVE to be the first one to buy something or give a review. It's ridiculous.