Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Superstar
Daps
One thing I noticed about this album is that as it progresses and Kendrick's mentality matures and he becomes the "butterfly", the music gets simpler and more modest and stripped down. The first half has a million beat switches, instruments flying everywhere, random people harmonizing, unorthodox song structure, but that ramps down towards the end. It's like its signifying the clarity of the confusion and franticness of his "caterpillar" mentality as he settles into his own skin and is now comfortable with himself.

Last edited:
Daps
I f*cking hate hip hop fans. They are the detriment to hip hop... Not the artist themselves. Kendrick is clearly an artist trying to bring hip hop to greater heights, & there are bums who praise the ho-hum undeserved mufukkaz who pollute the culture, dissing him. I love the new album... I just hope he doesn't follow the 3000 route & become disenchanted with it all someday.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Even though I wholeheartedly disagree, fam's taste is mad questionable tho lol. Fam gave If You're Reading This, It's Too Late an A+. There are more examples but fam is disgusting and he bites Anthony Fantano so hard.

Didn't he score one of Chief Keef's mixtapes as a B? Why should anyone take his opinion seriously? Please in the review he did not like or respect the black/afrocentric influence.

ineedsleep212

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Didn't he score one of Chief Keef's mixtapes as a B? Why should anyone take his opinion seriously? Please in the review he did not like or respect the black/afrocentric influence.
I thought he was trolling when he said where's the relatability lol.

:dead: at I bought a hip hop album not a jazz album.

He essentially said to not be inspired by other genres :dead:

M. Delorean

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Connecticut
Finally got a chance to sit down and give it a good listen.....:lawd::lawd::banderas::banderas::ohlawd::ohlawd:

How much a Dollar Cost
Hood Politics
Complexion
u
institutionalized
Wesley's Theory

The Convo between Kendrick & PAC gave me chills breh..this will be in rotation for a while.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I thought he was trolling when he said where's the relatability lol.

:dead: at I bought a hip hop album not a jazz album.

He essentially said to not be inspired by other genres :dead:

Typical white suburban who only listens to trap music. Hate those type of wannabe white people.

I notice the white people who actually act white and listen to rock music actually have a more diverse taste in different genres and are more objective...

Prince Luchini

Stay dolo so thorough
Daps
One thing I noticed about this album is that as it progresses and Kendrick's mentality matures and he becomes the "butterfly", the music gets simpler and more modest and more stripped down with less things going on. The first half has a million beat switches, instruments flying everywhere, random people harmonizing, unorthodox song structure, but that kind of ramps down towards the end. It seems like it's signifying the clarity of the confusion and franticness of his "caterpillar" mentality as he settles into his own skin and is now comfortable with himself.

:ohhh: damn I never thought about it like that I wonder was this intentional.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
dc50mp.jpg

Amazon came through:blessed:

So I just finished listening to the album from start to finish. and my first thought upon completion....how the fukk could anybody say this album was hard to digest???.....like what the fukk. shyts like saying water is hard to digest. When I was reading this thread I was expecting some alternative sounding shyt, but this is hip hop in it's purest form. When the roots dropped phrenology, I understood how people might not fukk with the album....when common dropped electric circus....I understood. but THIS?.....this shyt is straight up soul music. it actually reminded me of common's like water for chocolate, but only much stronger. I rarely use the word classic, but this album is without a doubt going down as an all time classic. the first TRUE classic album since supreme clientele. I don't even wanna be typing this, I wanna get back in my ride and zone out to this shyt cruising the city all night. It took some real guts for kendrick to drop this album...he's going to alienate a big portion of his GKMC fan base with this one. Good kid was a great album, but this is a masterpiece. I'm still completely baffled at people saying this shyt is hard to get into...i'm really trying to come up with reasons. is it because it doesn't have the same basic ass synths and chord progressions in every song?....or is it because it doesn't have catchy choruses that you can sing along with your friends?....honestly, it makes no sense how a hip hop fan can not love this album. not even on some elitist shyt, but if you can't fukk with this album, your opinion no longer means shyt.

and the way he ended the album calling out to pac was just:wow:....especially because pac is the perfect representation of the album title. deep down pac was just an artist...he wanted to do what he loved and reach out to his people. but along the way he got manipulated. Pac was wise above his years but he was still young. he fell victim to the a lot of the temptations around him and started to become somebody he wasn't. and that was ultimately his downfall. what's sad is he seemed to have realized that right before he got taken. dude was ready to put death row in the past and focus on making positive music....but he never got the chance. thankfully kendrick won't make those same mistakes:mjcry: