Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
I think Wesley's Theory is a weak way to start an album imo...I think for For Free is growing on me but it's too strange sounding to be track 2...way too early for a track like that...King Kunta is kinda weak...Institutionalized and These Walls are pretty good...I can't stand "U"..I can't take his voice on that shyt...from Alright and on I pretty much fukk with everything heavy tho...I think Alright is where shyt really picks up...

i like the old record sounds playing at the beginning. sets you up for very end. I just imagine kendrick putting this on for Pac. like he was just listening along the whole time.

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
The way James Brown's The Payback makes you want to get up and Schmoney Dance? Nah b.

The album is a bit too tight to give me that same funk feel. The live version if i is much better than the original for just feeling a bit more loose.

The album has various funk elements and evokes that sound and era but the feeling in the jams? Not close.

James Brown and Schmoney Dance in the same sentence? :tyrese:

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
Just listened to the album for the second time around with headphones. Got to catch some more of the layers of instrumentation and mixing effects. Like That acoustic bass on "How Much A Dollar Cost" Thundercat really did his thing on this. I wanna see how he attempts to perform this material live. Hopefully he can get the whole ensemble to do some shows.
I think the ability to maximize the songs live is what he was looking for in combination with other ideas

you probably already know, but he had a band for some festivals during the GKMC tour, but started using it more afterwards for most festivals and the Yeezus tour

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The first time i listened to the album i was feeling some kinda way that there is a white person somewhere dancing like "shoulda never given nikkas money!"

dancing-kid.gif

:lolbron:

Not that there is anything wrong with white people liking this album its just....interesting...considering the content:

tumblr_nlc2jzd0xj1tmd2mlo2_500.png

tumblr_nlc2jzd0xj1tmd2mlo6_540.png

I loved Dead Prez 'Lets Get Free' when it dropped. That was a pretty militant and pro black album.

Good music is good music. :yeshrug:

Beerus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
PC BRO #LWO
Swear they're more annoying than Drake fans when it comes to discussing Kendrick.
Word like i dont even come in lupe threads hating and i hate and think hes crap
Yet those insecure bytch mad fatherless fukk boys all up in here talmin bout :sadcam: but but lupe.
nikka SHUT THE fukk UP :camby:

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
kinda still mad I checked twitter and seeing spoilers before hearing the album and finding out about pac interview

nonetheless i still had a :ooh::ahh::to: reaction

Last edited: