Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
What?????
It didn't make it???????????????

Track was PIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Way better than 'i' and Blacker the Berry, this should have been the single... WTFFFFF

Not even in the iTunes purchasing link?
Any song in the iTunes not in the physical CD or song in the physical not in the electronic?

WHY DIDN'T IT MAKE ITTTTTTTT??????????

fukk Kendrick for not dropping that track on the album....:pacspit::pacspit::pacspit::pacspit:

really tho

that ain't gangsta
Supporter
Daps
I guess this gonna be another yeezus

gonna take a lot of listens to digest this one breh brehs

:why:

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
On my 3rd playthough and I must admit I'm kinda digging it :ehh:

Institutionalized
Alright
These Walls
How much a dollar cost
Complexion
Mortal Man

Are all quality.

Dudes voice gets slightly annoying but these beats are beautiful, good soulful music

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
it's not an easily digestible album but i like it on first listen. need more time to listen to it in depth.

i am very disappointed that the "untitled" cut from the colbert report and that dre cut from the beats commercial didn't make it. hopefully he drops them as bonus cuts or leaks them on some for the love type shyt.

and where the fukk are all those FlyLo tracks that he supposedly snatched up? something about the info that we have been receiving for the past 5 months or so tells me that he's planning on dropping another lp/ep/mixtape in the near future to supplement this album with tracks that he wanted to release but didn't quite fit the tone/vibe of this album.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I've sat with the album since 2am early this morning. I've spun it in its entirety 4 times (working on a 5th as I type this. Here are my thoughts...

This is album is incredible.

In 2012 I won the first annual Booth Poster Year award, given annually by the Coli brethren. This was also the year that two incredible albums dropped that shaped my absolute love for the genre and fueled my passion for writing and posting about this music we all love to discuss and debate on..

The first was Nas's Life Is Good, a project which I felt moved the genre forward into an era where the elder statesmen of the music would finally be given the respect they deserve to utilize the platform to speak on mature and relevant topics. Child rearing, love, loss, divorce, the victories and failures that one with growth; Nas tackled all of these themes with a razor sharp focus and incredible lyricism that MORE than proved that his goal of "rapping into his 80's" was one that was not only well deserved, but should be well anticipated and appreciated.

The other was Good Kid m.A.A.d City.

I wasn't expecting a classic from Kendrick Lamar. I was expecting a very solid debut album following in the vein of Section 80 and Overly Dedicated. What I ended up experiencing was something akin to the feeling I got the first time I listened to The College Dropout, the pleasurable surprise and absolute shock of a young MC taking Hip Hop and utilizing it fully and wholly as a means of ultimate self expression. As I listened to Kendrick's audio film it struck me how the genre could still grow, could still be used to tell stories that were both new and reminiscent of those who had come before, could still INSPIRE.

I was witness to a new generation classic and I couldn't wait to discuss, debate, and ENJOY it with my group of Internet colleagues who were so in tune with the culture that we could stay up into the wee hours of the morning breaking down lyrics, concepts, and production. It was a fantastic time to be a Hip Hop fan...

Skip forward to 2015. I am three years older. No longer in the Army, divorced, and living on my own. In the last year of my twenties, still a rabid fan of Hip Hop, lyricism and creativity.

But I hadn't been INSPIRED by the music or an album in quite the same ways as I'd been since 2012. I immensely enjoyed J.Cole's Forest Hills Drive, attempted to decipher the ever-evolving puzzle that is Lupe Fiasco's Tetsuo And Youth, and jammed along with Drake's If Your Reading This Its Too Late. All of these albums were good to great in their respective rights, but I felt like I was waiting for something to come along and move the needle, to speak on the state of the world, of black consciousness, of music. Something to serve and a true audio time capsule of our current days and times.

I was waiting on Kendrick Lamar.

To Pimp A Butterfly is a masterful work of art in many ways. Lyrically it proves as an intelligent, thoughtful, and fierce portrait of a young man whose view of the world outside of his native Compton is ugly, beautiful, depressing, and hopeful. Not unlike the state of African American consciousness that has permeated from the times of slavery to the complexities of today. There are many ways to identify yourself as BLACK in this country, however, no matter how much progress seems to be made on the topic of race relations, the reality of being BLACK still carries struggle, prejudice, and very real feeling of dread that comes with a species perpetually going through genocide. Trayvonne Martin, Eric Garner, and Mike Brown have become more than men slain in a haze of dubious circumstances. They serve as Martyrs and tragic reminders the pain, anger, despair, and rage, associated with the social, economic, and law enforced castration of the African American.

Lyrically and Conceptually, Kendrick Lamar has taken this reality, wrapped it into a coc00n of moody, jazzy, and fluid production; and allowed it to go through metamorphosis for three years until what emerged was his vision of the Butterfly that is the Black Experience. He allows his feelings to take flight and spread a message that is absolutely true to our days and times.

This isn't a review in the sense of track by track breakdowns of which beat went harder with which hook. This is an analysis of FEELING and the means with which an MC can perfectly capture emotions and turn them into art.

When I listen to this album I am impressed. I am in awe. But mostly I am INSPIRED. To Pimp A Butterfly will inspire many for years to come. So much intelligence went into this that it is simply impossible to not commend Kendrick for his bravery, his love, and his passion.

5/5

@TPC

:wow:

:salute: