Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly | (Discussion Thread) *Stream*

Woodwerkz

R.I.P. King Bean #8 #24 and Little Deuce #2 Gigi
Daps
Reppin
Mamba Mentality # Kobe&GiGi. #LakerNation #LWO
I washed my hands, I said my grace, what more do you want from me?

Tears of a clown, guess I'm not all what it's meant to be
:mjcry:

277b9db08-9e12-445a-8f32-11f815303d78.jpg

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Had a chance to sleep on it, and woke up and threw it on again with no distractions

It's good. It starts off sorta slow, then really picks up around "These Walls" for me. I marginally enjoyed the production more, though production doesn't really do much for me anymore, that jazzy, hazy, smooth (I guess, I hate when people use that word for some reason) type of production that is throughout. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate it though, there is a lot of interesting things musically going on here. I just not super enjoyable for me.

And I've only been through it a couple of times, but it definitely reminds me of Lupe's album in that it's an ambitious work that I'll acknowledge is laudable in its scope and desire for artistry, but I've been down these roads before, this isn't my first rodeo. I already know I'm not gonna be listening to it a month from now, and that's just being real. Conceptually, musically, it's a step towards growth, but I know deep down there's very little here that will keep me coming back. Honestly the same thing happened with GKMC, I really only rarely listen to the songs that made a personal impression on me (Swimming Pools, Real, Money Trees).

This. The bolded is something I tried to say in another thread but this was a great way of putting it.

Cole kind of has this problem too. A rapper says something thats personal/relateable or just real. And it hits you the first time you hear it like :wow: but in subsequent listens it dont do nothing for your enjoyment of the song. That's the strength of some so called "microwave" artists, you can spin their music for the vibe alone. We live in the playlist era after all

I'll see how this one goes tho. The good thing about this album is he's experimenting and expanding his sound. That'll help with crossing this particular plateau in the long run of his career

Revolutionary

All Star
Daps
-GQ magazine: contender for Album of the decade
-Cleveland: A-
-AXS: masterpiece
-Anthony Fantano: 10/10 (tweet deleted) but hes still going crazy over -Kendrick's groove & the new version of "i"
-Sputnik: 5/5 (classic)
-NY Daily News: Instant classic, 5/5
-former writers for The Source & XXL want the album to have the perfect score
-The Guardian (1st listnen): 4/5
-Noisey: Classic
-USA Today: Like Kanye West's monumental Yeezus in 2013, Lamar has made something that feels truly genre-shattering with Butterfly

-King Kunta gets the Best New Music by Pitchfork
-The Blacker The Berry gets Best New Track by Pitchfork

Peak

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot to take in on first listen but I can say I like it...quite a lot. I'm pretty sure I'll end up listening to this way more than GKMC which was overrated.

On another note this album pretty much shows me that Kendrick has "outgrown" his Black Hippy homies - Kendrick's star quality shines to the point where they will forever be in his shadow which is a shame - especially for Q.

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly the only song being close to being a skipper is U

Oh, and the whole "bu..bu..if anybody else released this you wouldn't like it" angle is pathetic.

Revolutionary

All Star
Daps
35JrK1L.png

Kanye West -
0dCjD8g.png

Justin Timberlake -
KfemXs3.png

Solange -
xtEnV8l.png

Taylor Swift -
aM7fwHk.png